Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Sep 26, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #1,576 of 3,652
I've heard the dusk is quite big, no?
Small ear canals don't necessarily preclude having a good fit with larger IEM housings. It's really more about nozzle /tip sizing and angle. You really can't tell just by looking. You might be able to find some comments from other folks who also have problems with fitment and small canals.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #1,577 of 3,652
Small ear canals don't necessarily preclude having a good fit with larger IEM housings. It's really more about nozzle /tip sizing and angle. You really can't tell just by looking. You might be able to find some comments from other folks who also have problems with fitment and small canals.
Yeah that's the tough part with IEMs I guess - hard to tell without trying.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #1,578 of 3,652
It is, not really a safe rec. (same with the 3DT.)
Admittedly I haven't tried the B2D, but the 3DT appears larger than it actually fits. My canals are pretty average and they disappear while wearing them. Super comfy and super lightweight.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,579 of 3,652
Admittedly I haven't tried the B2D, but the 3DT appears larger than it actually fits. My canals are pretty average and they disappear while wearing them. Super comfy and super lightweight.
Alternatively, what do you guys think about getting the Andromeda 2020 and using that for a few years before upgrading?

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #1,580 of 3,652
Alternatively, what do you guys think about getting the Andromeda 2020 and using that for a few years before upgrading?

Andromeda 2020 is quite a good balanced set. Just that the lowish impedance of 12ish ohms makes it quite source picky. It fairs best with sources ~ 1 ohm output impedance, otherwise the FR can be skewed with higher OI gear. It can hiss with some sources too.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #1,581 of 3,652
I can't offer a good opinion on that, since I tend to upgrade every few weeks. Lol. Maybe not so much now that I've narrowed down what I'm looking for. But early on in my IEM journey, yeah.

And I haven't tried the Andro2020. Maybe someday, but at this point it's not really an upgrade from what I have. And quite honestly, I doubt anyone can tell you if you will like its sound signature/tuning. That's why it can be much safer and actually cheaper in the long run to start slow and figure out specifically what you like and what you're missing with your equipment before moving up.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #1,582 of 3,652
Andromeda 2020 is quite a good balanced set. Just that the lowish impedance of 12ish ohms makes it quite source picky. It fairs best with sources ~ 1 ohm output impedance, otherwise the FR can be skewed with higher OI gear. It can hiss with some sources too.
I would be using it with the JDS atom+ stack so OI is not an issue.

I can't offer a good opinion on that, since I tend to upgrade every few weeks. Lol. Maybe not so much now that I've narrowed down what I'm looking for. But early on in my IEM journey, yeah.

And I haven't tried the Andro2020. Maybe someday, but at this point it's not really an upgrade from what I have. And quite honestly, I doubt anyone can tell you if you will like its sound signature/tuning. That's why it can be much safer and actually cheaper in the long run to start slow and figure out specifically what you like and what you're missing with your equipment before moving up.

Hahahah fair enough, that's a good point.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #1,584 of 3,652
I would be using it with the JDS atom+ stack so OI is not an issue.
The volume control on the Atom is quite poor, and with a sensitive iem like the andromeda. Not sure if that is a good combination, since you wouldnt have much volume control at all....

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #1,585 of 3,652
The volume control on the Atom is quite poor, and with a sensitive iem like the andromeda. Not sure if that is a good combination, since you wouldnt have much volume control at all....
Very good point. I barely have any play on the volume pot even with my Denons!

Maybe id get something like the LP W2 or Lootoo Paw S2

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #1,586 of 3,652
I will also add that since getting into IEMs, I've learned to appreciate the differences in my over ear phones much more. They're not mutually exclusive. I love switching back and forth to hear different aspects of the same songs. Really wonderful times we live in now.

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,588 of 3,652
Those are exactly my recs under $300.. never heard the L7. High 5!
Oxygen = single DD champion for the last 2/3 years
XBA-N3 = My favorite hybrid, underrated legend from Sony

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #1,589 of 3,652

Desktop: Schiit IEMagni
Portable: ???

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,590 of 3,652
Huh....given the leap into top tier IEMs @musicasmedicine indicated, I am a bit surprised @gLer didn't just recommend the IE 900, hahaha. At $1,300, it's a relative bargain in this nut-so hobby, LOL. Lots of great recommendations made, in all seriousness, but as you might tell from the already long list, you'll soon discover the reality of the IEM version of "mid-fi hell." hahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back