Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Sep 12, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #1,531 of 3,652
I got my IER-Z1R about a week ago. Loved it when I first heard it out of the box, it blew me away. I let them burn in for about 150 hours until I really wanted to start hearing my new purchase. I didn't think I would mind the "weak mids" myth, but mids are definitely weak. I was listening to an 80s song (I'll edit if I remember what it is) and using the Z1R with Apple Music Lossless/HIDIZS S9 Pro and it sounded like the lead singer was a backing track, could barely hear him.

I really like the bass and highs, plus the openness of the soundstage, but without some decent mids, I dont know if I can truly enjoy it. Been wanting to check out the U12t for a while to see if I like that sound better, but not sure if there is a way I can demo both the Z1R and U12t side by side (no decent audio stores within 6 hours of me).

I probably could fix the dip in mids with EQ, but with an iPhone, HiBy FD3 dac/amp 4.4mm port, and the Z1R, I haven't found a practical way to EQ on the go. I still plan on going through the systemwide PEQ on my Mac and running through Topping A50s/D50s 4.4mm port, but that really isnt a mobile solution.
I had the same problem when I first got the Z1R, you can solve it with either EQ or a warm source. I've been listening to it with the DX300 with AMP12 and I love it. With the Hugo 2 and Chord Hugo TT2, it's best with EQ. When you EQ it or pair it with the right source, it is very hard to beat and certainly not at this price point.

Otherwise, punt and buy and Legend X EVO.

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #1,532 of 3,652
I got my IER-Z1R about a week ago. Loved it when I first heard it out of the box, it blew me away. I let them burn in for about 150 hours until I really wanted to start hearing my new purchase. I didn't think I would mind the "weak mids" myth, but mids are definitely weak. I was listening to an 80s song (I'll edit if I remember what it is) and using the Z1R with Apple Music Lossless/HIDIZS S9 Pro and it sounded like the lead singer was a backing track, could barely hear him.

I really like the bass and highs, plus the openness of the soundstage, but without some decent mids, I dont know if I can truly enjoy it. Been wanting to check out the U12t for a while to see if I like that sound better, but not sure if there is a way I can demo both the Z1R and U12t side by side (no decent audio stores within 6 hours of me).

I probably could fix the dip in mids with EQ, but with an iPhone, HiBy FD3 dac/amp 4.4mm port, and the Z1R, I haven't found a practical way to EQ on the go. I still plan on going through the systemwide PEQ on my Mac and running through Topping A50s/D50s 4.4mm port, but that really isnt a mobile solution.
there is no way u can bring z1r mids to u12t level. So buy 12t sell z1r.

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #1,533 of 3,652
You can actually bring them pretty darn close. I've EQd my Z1R to this (measured with the same IEC 60318-4 Precog and Crin use) and now mids have a quite similar warm tone to them just like U12t has. though they don't catch the same "magic" quality. It's still better than OG Z1R unbalanced midrange tuning though IMO. Now Z1R and U12t complement each other pretty nicely. I grab Z1R when I want a bit more energy and excitement from music or U12t for a smidge more natural and relaxing listen.

Used settings:
Code:
Preamp: -4.2 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 312 Hz Gain -0.8 dB Q 0.52
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 412 Hz Gain 1.4 dB Q 1.48
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 660 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 1.70
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1440 Hz Gain -2.7 dB Q 0.93
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2427 Hz Gain 6.1 dB Q 1.21
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3900 Hz Gain -7.2 dB Q 3.30
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5639 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 2.56

_tw9Q9qS9nM.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #1,534 of 3,652
Thanks for posting those impressions @eloelo! I saw them on the Discord server and thought it'd be awesome to have them in the Head-Fi thread too. Speaking of which, if anyone else wants to post impressions in my thread, please go for it! I'm not around to drop impressions all the time and it's always fun reading what other people are hearing. Don't worry about if they don't agree with my own.

IMG_7716.JPG

Anyways, today I went to drop off some IEMs and, on the way back, I stopped to A/B the Sony IER-M9 with the Symphonium Helios. I think context and running A/B comparisons are very important; they help keep us grounded from unwarranted hype. But in this case, I'm pretty happy with how the Helios fared against the Sony IER-M9, despite having dubbed the IER-M9 the kilobuck benchmark in the past.

The IER-M9 is a lot warmer than I remembered. It's definitely got some bass bloat; as I already mostly knew, I prefer the Helios in terms of bass tuning. However, I was more pressed to choose between the two for bass intangibles when compared head-to-head. I still think the IER-M9 is more reminiscent of a DD in terms of tactility even if it's not as tight as the Helios. This excess warmth does negatively impact the IER-M9's note definition, though, and the Helios generally sports better resolution due to its more sculpted, leaner tuning. The Helios also has a more linear, airy treble response (both are very well extended regardless imo). I do feel like the IER-M9 has great sparkle, but lacks some leading impact to percussive hits.

For technicalities, the Helios sounds noticeably more open to the way it images. I’m not sure if I’d say it’s necessarily sharper with instrument placement, but this sense of openness sure helps lend to that perception. The transients and general dynamics of these IEMs are also very different. Helios is quicker and sports aggressive, slightly overly loud dynamics. The IER-M9 is soft to the way it attacks and always sounds like it’s at the same loudness. Pretty good comparison for if you ever wanted to know what good dynamics versus what a lack of dynamics sounds like it. Generally, IER-M9 has better timbre (very clean, soft taper to decay), but that’s about it. I'd say overall detail is comparable between the two, perhaps with an edge to the Helios due to its tuning.

Now, when you throw the IER-M9's whole package into the mix - accessories, build, fit and a $100 price differential - I think you could still make a good argument for the IER-M9 remaining top dog. But on the basis of sound quality, I would attest that the Helios is better.

Sep 12, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,535 of 3,652

I'm not sure if the U12T will change the vocal forwardness issue you're having judging on what Precog replied with here. Then again, I might be misunderstaning both question and answer lol. (Also male vocals are quite weak on the Z1Rs , so that could be something the U12T has against it.
1631489304878.png

Sep 12, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #1,536 of 3,652
I think the Z1R is better than the U12t, so I would keep the Z1R and not buy the U12t. It's all about the bass. Nobody wrote a song "It's all about the mids." There's a reason for that,

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #1,537 of 3,652

I'm not sure if the U12T will change the vocal forwardness issue you're having judging on what Precog replied with here. Then again, I might be misunderstaning both question and answer lol. (Also male vocals are quite weak on the Z1Rs , so that could be something the U12T has against it.

Yes, neither has a forward midrange with male vocals. U12t is closer to that due to slightly more note weight, but it's a U-shaped presentation, so the midrange is still generally recessed if not well-balanced. IER-Z1R should be more forward with female vocals, but the midrange generally sounds somewhat uncanny. Either way, I'm not sure if U12t would be the answer to your problem. I think this is an instance of which you have to make trade-offs, as is often the case in audio unfortunately.

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #1,538 of 3,652
Third time's the charm. Big thank you to Vision Ears and MusicTeck for handling this amicably. I'll try and push out some VE7 impressions tomorrow. Also planning for one last batch of impressions featuring the Tripowin x HBB Mele, SeeAudio Bravery, Tanchjim Prism, Fiio FD3, and JVC FWX1. I'll be back off to college after that. Expect a slow-down to impressions because I won't have regular access to MRS's massive catalog of IEMs haha.

graph-6.png

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,539 of 3,652
Vision Ears VE7 Impressions

I’ve been hankering to write impressions on the VE7 for some time now, but as most already know, I’ve had a bad stroke of luck with the units I’ve received for review. It seems the third time’s the charm, though, and I finally have a unit that sounds like it should.

graph-6.png

The first word that comes to mind when I hear the VE7 is “hazy”. But it’s not the bad kind of haziness, no, no. It’s the type of haziness that, in tandem with the VE7’s solid treble extension, largely comes across as a pleasant sense of musicality that harkens to the CFA Andromeda 2020. The VE7’s treble definitely deserves more attention, and I think it helps to lend context with the VE7’s older brother, the VE8. In my eyes, the VE8’s biggest weakness is its treble extension. It rolls off of 10kHz strongly and sports some unwanted peakiness to what treble it does have. This culminates in a gritty, compressed treble response that (in my opinion) is quite “lo-res”. By contrast, the VE7 has noticeably better extension and smooths over the VE8’s peakiness, or at least brings it much closer to an ideal mid-treble oriented response. It’s a thumbs-up from me.

The VE7’s other standout is its midrange. Like it’s brethren the VE8, it’s a thicker, saturated interpretation that favors the lower-harmonics. Piano simply drips with richness, and as much as I enjoy shouting out trashy K-Pop tracks in my reviews, I actually grew up listening to country music. Singers like George Strait and Easton Corbin come across as somewhere between sweet and buttery on the VE7 to my ears. The VE7's might even be a little too smooth on something like Uncle Kracker's "Smile" where I'm accustomed to more texture, but I almost find myself not minding. The VE7 also fixes the VE8’s sibilance issue, with vocals tokening the upper-midrange hitting south of neutral and being mostly devoid of intangible grit. Man, I just really like this midrange; as far as I’m concerned, this is Western tuning done justice.

That said, I wouldn’t expect much by way of the VE7’s bass. It sounds pretty much the same as the VE8’s bass which I didn’t think was noteworthy. It’s not as one-note or as dry as the Andro 2020, sure, but that’s not a high bar. The VE7 is also not really mind-blowing for technicalities. It has noticeable blunting to note definition due to its warmer tuning; furthermore, staging is firmly confined to the head-stage as is characteristic of IEMs with these standard shells. It's a "cozy" presentation if I'm being nice and, that said, I do find the VE7 to have a good sense of detail and pleasant timbre. The VE7 also leans slightly quicker in terms of speed with a decent sense of dynamics. Not the best dynamics I’ve heard, mind you, but serviceable enough that I don't find myself getting bored. Overall, reasonably good technicalities for such a toasty IEM in my book. Stack on excellent coherency and a great tuning, and you have a formidable package for the warm IEM connoisseur.

Unfortunately, what really capsizes the VE7’s competitiveness is its high cost of entry. It was already fighting an uphill battle against other established players at its pre-order price of $1300; now it’s sitting at a staggering $1860 which is more than a 40% price increase! That's not a good look in my opinion. The Andromeda 2020, for instance, is considerably less costly, sports similar tonality, and is arguably more technical (at least in the imaging department). This makes me hard-pressed to recommend the VE7. With all that being said: It's no secret that I'm not really into any of Vision Ear's other IEMs I've heard; be it from the VE8, the Erlkonig, the Elysium, or to the EVE20. Let it be known that the VE7 would be my choice if you're keen on a Vision Ears IEM and price was no object.

Score: 7/10

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #1,540 of 3,652
I think the Z1R is better than the U12t, so I would keep the Z1R and not buy the U12t. It's all about the bass. Nobody wrote a song "It's all about the mids." There's a reason for that,
+1 I also much prefer the Z1R to the U12T. I even prefer the Nio to the U12T. Before anyone gets overly excited I actually did like the U12T it just didn't wow me that's all.

I also don't really have an issue with the mids on the Z1R? Could be Im running them out Sony amp or N6ii R02?

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #1,541 of 3,652
Yes I think you have two factors at play here: more room for isolation from power and EMF, and amp design. The THX amps' reason for being is their high power output combined with almost imperceptible noise levels. Pity they sound souless and clinical as a result.
Like you, I don't care for the clinical tone and timbre of the THX amps, the D90 on the other hand sounds lovely and flexible enough to play sensitive IEMs to moderately needy over-ears.

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,542 of 3,652
+1 I also much prefer the Z1R to the U12T. I even prefer the Nio to the U12T. Before anyone gets overly excited I actually did like the U12T it just didn't wow me that's all.

I also don't really have an issue with the mids on the Z1R? Could be Im running them out Sony amp or N6ii R02?
I totally agree, no problem of recessed midrange with Sony DAPS/Amps/DACs? They are not mid-forward of course....lol.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #1,543 of 3,652
Like you, I don't care for the clinical tone and timbre of the THX amps, the D90 on the other hand sounds lovely and flexible enough to play sensitive IEMs to moderately needy over-ears.
The FiiO Q3 is THX. IME, it does not sound clinical in any way, shape or form.

FiiO Q3

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #1,544 of 3,652
Meet-Up Notes 9/14/21

Okay, here's the final batch of listening impressions! Did a speed-run yesterday courtesy of MRS being a homie as usual. As usual, this is with 15-20 minutes of listening on each IEM and done off of my iBasso DX300.

Drop x JVC FWX1: I was hoping for an improved FDX1, but the FWX1 is simply not good. It fixes the slightly metallic decay and general leanness of the FDX1, sure, but its gone way too far in the opposite direction. Bass is bloated and overly warm, thus blunting note definition, and there's some serious peakiness going on in the lower-treble. Treble doesn't extend very far either which lends to a congested, fatiguing presentation. To be perfectly honest? This IEM is a mess. There's nothing about it that remotely merits double the FDX1's price. The shells also feel cheap and the channel matching of this unit doesn't inspire confidence.

Fiio FD3: Not much that has to be said here. It's a Fiio IEM. I sort of just know when I hear one at this point. Tuning profile is generally okay up until the lower-treble where there's just way too much 5kHz. Treble has an unpleasant sheen, and I'm pretty sure this is partly to blame for why all of their IEMs sound so compressed. This just sounds really generic. I can't think of anything it's doing that stands out for $100.

SeeAudio Bravery: Pretty decent. I probably should have put more ear time on this one, but I have my own unit on the way anyways. Nothing wrong with the overall tonal balance here, just hits pretty close to neutral-warm. Technicalities are probably around Blessing 2 level (maybe, I didn't A/B them) with the Bravery sporting better treble extension, timbre, and coherency from memory. The BA bass is not horrible. The Bravery just sounds kind of light to transients with not much density all-round. That aside, I think this is a solid recommendation for $280, but I'll need more ear time. Got distracted A/B-ing Helios and S8.

Tanchjim Prism: Tanchjim doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to their flagship IEMs; unfortunately, the Prism seems to fall into the same vein as the maligned Darling. The Prism has decent technicalities (probably Darling level from memory), but nothing that makes me think they're $600 good. The overall tonality here is also somewhat strident and too lean for my preferences. The treble has a tinny, thin characteristic that is hard to ignore in particular. I do feel like the decay and general timbre of the Sonion BAs being used in Tanchjim's IEMs is very good, though. You can definitely tell they're using high-quality drivers. And that pretty much sums it up: Quality components and build being capsized by milquetoast tuning and price.

Tin Audio T2 Evo: Yeah, this is pretty bad. The Evo has solid note definition for $50, but the tuning is in some serious need of work. Where most IEMs would be sloping off the upper-midrange, the T2 Evo slopes straight up into the lower-treble. This comes with all the usual problems of too much head-voice and a fatiguing treble response that sounds incredibly unnatural. See y'all next month with impressions on the next flop iteration of this aging IEM.

Tripowin x HBB Mele: The Mele has a bassy, dark tonality that definitely reminds me of the BLON-BL03 and, to a lesser extent, the Moondrop Aria. I gave it a quick A/B with the Aria and deemed it to be an unfair comparison; the Aria is simply a couple steps ahead in the technical department (as it should be for $30 more). It's more of a toss-up versus the BL03. I do find the BL03 to still have a slight edge in technicalities and noticeably better treble extension, but I think the Mele has a slightly better midrange tonality. If you don't already have a BL03, the Mele is an easy recommendation because the build and accessories are much better. Solid package overall for $50; it's nice to hear an IEM with some character.

Drop x JVC FWX13/10
Fiio FD33/10
SeeAudio BraveryTBD/10
Tanchjim Prism5/10
Tin Audio T2 Evo3/10
Tripowin x HBB Mele4/10

Additionally, here's a written interview I did with @SenyorC if anyone wants to check it out: https://english.achoreviews.com/2021/09/interview-precogvision-of-headphonescom.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back