Pre amp shopping time... Any advice??
Sep 7, 2005 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tom hankins

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm getting ready to start auditioning preamps in my system. I want tubes and have around $5K to spend on a new one. So far I am going to try the BAT VK-31SE, Audio Research LS25 MKII, and McINTOSH 2200. Any others out there you guys think I should try? Must have balanced inputs and outputs as the system will be run balanced. The rest of the system is in my signature. Used options might be the BAT VK51 SE, or Audio Research Ref. 2. Depending how much I like the lower priced models in my system.

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I'm getting ready to start auditioning preamps in my system. I want tubes and have around $5K to spend on a new one. So far I am going to try the BAT VK-31SE, Audio Research LS25 MKII, and McINTOSH 2200. Any others out there you guys think I should try? Must have balanced inputs and outputs as the system will be run balanced. The rest of the system is in my signature. Used options might be the BAT VK51 SE, or Audio Research Ref. 2. Depending how much I like the lower priced models in my system.

That's some list to go through.

For moderate budget, I would add VAC Standard LE to the list. Very, very nice preamp and often missing from people's shopping lists. I haven't heard VAC Renaissance series preamps, but I imagine they're even better.

Another line to keep in mind is Aesthetix. A used, slightly older generation Callisto Mk II or Signature can be had near your budget, and these are absolutely fantastic. I hate active preamps, at any price, but these I would take
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back