PPX3 Tube Combo's
May 29, 2004 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sun

New Head-Fier
Seems like quite a few people have this amp now, so I'd just like to know what combinations you're all using. I know some people are probably waiting for the tube pack to come around so they can experiment, but I'm also sure that some others have already done so.

May 29, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 8
Myself, I like the RCA (BRAZIL) clear tops for all three tube positions or as output tubes with a RCA(BRAZIL OR USA) cryo clear top used for the driver tube. I also like the RCA cryo clear top for the driver tube with standard GE (USA)6cg7's used as the output tubes. The driver tube seems to make the biggest difference and if you have a good tube in that position you get good results, IMO. The Ei(YUGO) tubes are quite good in all three positons and this is the stock tube set that now ships with the amp. Again, a good driver tube like the RCA with the Ei's is another nice combo. I have said this before but all the 6cg7's I have used have been excellent tubes. I also use a Herbies Halo Damper on the driver tube even though I have had zero trouble with microphonics; as a little tweak.

May 29, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 8
I've posted some of this before but here goes again.

My system has been going through alot of changes since I bought the PPX3 and I've found with each change a different tube complement seemed to be in order.

When I first got the amp I was using a cheap Sony CDP with W100's. Initially I really liked the RCA Cleartops in this combo but when I got some more tube sets I experimented and eventually settled on Sylvania's.

When I bought the Cambridge I thought there was something lacking so back to the tuberolling I went, eventually coming up with RCA cleartops on the outputs and an Ei Elite for the driver.

When the HD600's arrived some more tuberolling was in order and I eventually ended up back with a full set of Sylvania's but then the RS-1's came along for an audition and while they were here I settled in on the Sylvania's on the outputs and an RCA Cleartop for the driver. This seemed to work quite well with not only the RS-1's but the HD600's as well.

May 29, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 8
Currently, with AKG K 271 S cans, I am using a GE driver (gray plate with shield) with RCA cleartops as outputs. Has some nice oomph to the sound and provides some thumpy bass and an overall extremely enjoyable sound. I also liked this with my HD600s when I tried it with them. I'm not a big fan of having 3 cleartops in there, but using the cleartops in either the driver or the outputs is very good to me. It seems I have changed tube combos every couple days or so, but I think these tubes are staying in for a little while.

May 29, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 8
Two questions:-

Is there any difference in sound between Brazil and USA made cleartops?

How do the RCA black or gray plate tubes compare to cleartops?

May 29, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
Two questions:-

Is there any difference in sound between Brazil and USA made cleartops?

How do the RCA black or gray plate tubes compare to cleartops?

I only have a single RCA black plate for use in the driver position (got a few other individual black plates), but compared to the cleartop it seems to be faster and more aggressive sounding with less midrange and a little more extension on the bass and treble ends. Putting a black plate in the driver position and cleartops on the outputs provides for some very nice results.

May 29, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 8
I havent tried my blackplate RCA's yet. The USA and Brazil cleartops are similar. The cryo RCA' cleartops are the ones that are different from the others. They are more detailed and open sounding but IMO you subjectively lose a little bass because the tube has more extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back