PPX3-6SN7 vs. MG HEAD DT/OTL 32 vs. MPX3 ??
May 25, 2004 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ProFingerSk8er

Headphoneus Supremus
these three amps look very interesting, and are in the same price range as well
i dont think anyone has done a direct comparison yet. of course, MPX3 is PPX3-6SN7 to another level with better, higher grade parts. but how much better does it sound? is the sonic difference worth the extra $216?
PPX3-6SN7 and MG HEAD DT/OTL 32's price difference is only $40, from what i've heard PPX3 is built for both less/more sensitive headphones, and MD Head is for less sensitive phones like HD6x0, anyone heard both? what's your opinion and what would you recommand?
PPX3-6SN7 only use 3 tubes, MG Head use much more and looks like it would cost a lot more to roll tubes

i will be upgrading my source really soon (most likely a NAD c542), and will be using with my ATH-W100, very temped to get the W1000, maybe sometime later.

which would you recommand for ATs?
thanks!

[edit] spelling error

May 25, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 14
I've owned the ASL OTL32 and have had a lengthy audition with the stock PPX3. First both amps will work well with any phones. Plus the OTL32 also can handle the AKG K1000. From the comments at the NYC meet the PPX3/6sn7 is better than the normal PPX3. The Normal PPX3 is a better headphone amp than the OTL32. The OTL 32 is very nice but doesn't come at you like the sound of the PPX3. The OTL32 also can do double duty as a preamp if you need it to. If you don't need the preamp or plan on using the K1000, get the PPX3 or PPX3/6sn7.

May 25, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks Tom Hankins for your helpful opinion on this subject, as usual I'm sure your right on the money. I've been contemplating purchasing the OTL32 myself, but after reading yours and others "glowing" reviews on the PPX3 I've decided that I got to have one. It seems to be the best "bang for the buck" hp amp going right now, which greatly appeals to me (and my wallet).
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 14
thank you soo much tom hankins, so i guess the pre-amp function on the OTL32 explains the extra tubes. however i do think the muti-input is useful though.

if stock PPX3 sounds better then OLT32, can you say PPX3-6SN7 is much better? how about MPX3?

thanks again

May 26, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProFingerSk8er
thank you soo much tom hankins, so i guess the pre-amp function on the OTL32 explains the extra tubes. however i do think the muti-input is useful though.

if stock PPX3 sounds better then OLT32, can you say PPX3-6SN7 is much better? how about MPX3?

thanks again

I can't say for sure about the MPX3 or the PPX3/6sn7. I would think the MPX3 and the 6sn7 amps would both have more detail and be more refined than the stock PPX3. You can reads the NYmeet impressions thread and see what the people who heard both amps thought. I think the tubes on the OTL32 are one rectafier, two input tubes and four power tubes. The three singlepower amps I've got to spend alot of time with have really been special. Also if you need the extra inputs just let Mikhail know what you want. he can help you with any thing you want on the amp and voice the amp however you want it. There are also alot of pics of the amps in the NY meet thread. Hope this helps some.
One more thing. The PPX3 I had here was the earlier model Chrome and wood model(a tank). The new black ones are supposed to sound better and I think look better also.

May 27, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 14
There are some posts by SACDlover regarding the differences between the PPX3 and MPX3. I briefly heard a PPX3 at Hirsch's meet back in January. I purchased SACDlover's MPX3 shortly after that meet and, before him, Habib owned it. With NOS tubes, I can tell you that it has just enough tube sound for me and my headphones, which are 650s. However, it is still quite detailed, and I am sure you lose just a bit of that detail in the PPX3.

For me, I would think the choice would also be based on your headphones. Brighter or more forward 'phones might pair better with the PPX3 than the Senn sound. I think the PPX3 may not be detailed enough for the Senn. sound, but then again, its personal preference.

Thinking back on all my searches on Singlepower amps on this forum, I don't think I've read a bad post about any Singlepower amp. In fact, I've never read anything but *very* positive opinions about Singlepower amps. They're just that good. They're like butter.

May 27, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 14
stryker said:
For me, I would think the choice would also be based on your headphones. Brighter or more forward 'phones might pair better with the PPX3 than the Senn sound. I think the PPX3 may not be detailed enough for the Senn. sound, but then again, its personal preference.
I have the newer black PPX3 w/ Solen caps and I don't think it is any less detailed than the older MPX3 (Haven't heard the old MPX in awhile though). Either way, my PPX3 is one of the best amps I've heard with the HD600 and HD650 regardless of price.

May 27, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 14
The ppx3 is a great match with the senn 650's and IMO doesnt need a bright headphone. Furthermore, the ppx3 may actually match better with a wider variety of headphones than the mpx3 because it is more forgiving.

May 27, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 14
The mpx3 has been a bit finicky in my setup. Playing operator with all the cords in the back of my gear has helped me tailor the sound to suit this amp (except with bass). The sound is stunningly transparent, so you'll magnify any blemishes that upstream components give, but on the upside, you might hear some gorgeously shimmering mids and highs (this is with stock tubes). Compared to my MG-Head OTL, the highs have a lot of energy. There is no lack of speed in this amp. The detail and "air" that the 6sn7 tubes supposedly give is apparent on Sennheiser 580s. The presentation is big, clean, and detailed. This older model of mine is a keeper.

I'll say that I've heard the mpx3 paired with the MG Head OTL 32, and the Head won, but then everything sounded like mud through the mpx3 that day. I'm just basing this on a 3 week memory, but the Head was very versatile as an amp driving high and low imp. phones well. The lushness of the mids resembled the MG-Head regular, but highs on the 32 are cleaner than the regular version. It's hard for me to fairly say much else about the OTL 32 though.

I haven't had any ear time with the ppx3 but it seems like a safe bet in these circles.

May 27, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 14
Hmm this will be interesting. If I can attend the mini-meeting at SACD lover's place next weekend, I can compare PPX3 vs. my MG Head OTL 32 vs. HD-300/HD-25.
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showp...7&postcount=70
BTW, when you replace a pair of stock 12AU7s on OTL 32 with good NOS tubes, its sonic character and performance changes significantly. Say RCA cleartops provide smooth and very fluid musical presentation or Tungram for more dynamic and powerful sound (high end comes alive).

May 27, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 14
thank you for all the replys so far, soo far i am leaning towards the PPX3-6SN7 & MPX3.

however it will be 2-3 more weeks before i decide, i got time
smily_headphones1.gif

just like zoboomofo said, i have never heard of one less-then-awsome review on the SinglePowers

thanks again

May 27, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The ppx3 is a great match with the senn 650's and IMO doesnt need a bright headphone. Furthermore, the ppx3 may actually match better with a wider variety of headphones than the mpx3 because it is more forgiving.

Okay then, based on your experiences, what are the differences between the two? (You're the one that recommended I buy your MPX3
tongue.gif
)

May 27, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 14
Stryker,

I was responding to your comment you believed the ppx3 needed a brighter and more forward headphone. I just dont find this to be true. The ppx3 is more detailed than we give it credit for. The ppx3 just sounds a little closed in at the top compared to the mpx3. But the ppx3 is more immediate, forward and powerful(more dynamic) sounding than the mpx3 and these traits more than make up for the mpx3's more detailed presentation with the sennheisers. Of these two amps the mpx3 the is more laid back amp in my system because of its ease, refinement and more spacious(but distant) presentation. The ppx3's slight lack of resolution in comparison to the mpx3 only seems to remove the offending flaws of poor recordings and this obviously shapes the ppx3's musicality. I use the senn hd 650's for both amps with superior results and I have not found a headphone I like better with either amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back