PPX SLAM vs Raptor
Jul 7, 2005 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
Just as the title says... but please take price diff into consideration.

This is for hd650.... just looking at impressions people have. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 18
I've not heard the PPX Slam. Of the amps that I HAVE heard (which is more than a few!), the Raptor is one of the two or three best. It's a very nice amp...I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get one of my own.
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Just as the title says... but please take price diff into consideration.

This is for hd650.... just looking at impressions people have. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

The Raptor is smaller, in comes in two boxes (power supply amp.) very nice looking runs very warm almost hot. The sound is more solid state than the lush sound of the Slam. I think Rays HR-2 is more tube sounding which is weird because if Ray wanted to build a tube amp. I wonder why he made it sound more solid state than the HR-2? I think recstar24 wrote a great review that is worth a read in the amp section, actually a must read!

The Slam comes in one box, runs cool, is nice looking, in its own way. I say that because my wife thinks my MPX3 is ugly and I love the look. Much bigger like 400% or more. Than the Raptor The sound is what I had imagined a tube amp to sound like from reading numerous threads on tube amps. Lots of bass it has a thicker fuller feel to it the texture knob is a nice feature also.

Please remember that these are general thoughts from a new comer here on Head-Fi.

Good luck.

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I've not heard the PPX Slam.
biggrin.gif

Tom I think thats because I spent most of the night at the Detroit meet with my RS-1s pluged into the Slam! Mikhail actualy moved the Slam into the Ray section:.. I think he felt sorry for me standing in the hall all nite.
biggrin.gif
LOL.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 18
I heard the PPX3 Slam at the Florida meet and it was the first Singlepower amp I did not like. The bass seemed bloated and there wasn't the detail I expect from an amp. The dial that is added didn't seem to much other than raise and lower the volume. It just wasn't for me. I have a Raptor and I prefer it to the Slam and I have factored in the price difference. This is not an anti Singlepower post. I am merely expressing my opinon. I had an MPX3 and thought it was a very nice sounding amp.

Jul 7, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 18
I heard the ppx3slam (stock unmodded) at the chicago meet and I think the major difference That I could pull out was the presentation of the sounds the two amps did.

the Raptor is a 360 all the time sort of sound, the ppx3 throws weird and odd micro details in the back but most of its sounds is in the front of you.

The ppx was like listening to a 2 channel speaker setup as the sounds where infront of you. the raptor surrounds you with everything and more like your in the middle.

the ppx didnt have a mean hard hit of the raptor in the bass dept but it was a slacker niether, just a different style.

Try them both cause Its the only way youll know.

thanx btw

Jul 8, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I heard the PPX3 Slam at the Florida meet and it was the first Singlepower amp I did not like. The bass seemed bloated and there wasn't the detail I expect from an amp. The dial that is added didn't seem to much other than raise and lower the volume. It just wasn't for me. I have a Raptor and I prefer it to the Slam and I have factored in the price difference. This is not an anti Singlepower post. I am merely expressing my opinon. I had an MPX3 and thought it was a very nice sounding amp.

The contour control adds feedback that is specifically tailored to tighten up the bass and lower distortion. But adding feedback eats up gain. When you increase the feedback that lowers gain and you have to increase the volume to compensate. If you didnt increase the volume when you added feedback.... all the dial will do is lower volume and you wont be able to make any meaningful comparison as to how the sound has changed.
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The contour control adds feedback that is specifically tailored to tighten up the bass and lower distortion. But adding feedback eats up gain. When you increase the feedback that lowers gain and you have to increase the volume to compensate. If you didnt increase the volume when you added feedback.... all the dial will do is lower volume and you wont be able to make any meaningful comparison as to how the sound has changed.
wink.gif

I thought the contour dial was like a "warmth" control. I.e little to loadsa warmth or have I as usual lovespuds it up?

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 18
If it is a feedback control then it is adding signal back to the input tube, which will make it more linear, less distortion and it firms up the bass. But this can also close the sound in, decrease the transparency and rid the amp of life, if too much is used. I will not use feedback as a correctly designed circuit doesn't need it and I have never found it to be musical.

John

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I thought the contour dial was like a "warmth" control. I.e little to loadsa warmth or have I as usual lovespuds it up?

The richest sounding the amp will be is with no feedback. Adding feedback with the control will thin the sound. I think the idea was to allow one to tone down the bass on systems already on the warm, slow side of neutral. The SLAM is special among my amps because the amp is very full bodied but remains very fast. This amps ability to start and stop so quickly while remaining so rich toned is unique in my experiences.
cool.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

wink.gif

I did increase the volume. It just didn't change the sound in a way that appealed to me.

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I did increase the volume. It just didn't change the sound in a way that appealed to me.

I wouldnt expect it to personally... I dont like feedback for the very reason jamoto8 mentioned. I suspect the real problem though was you just didnt like the tube set. The amp changes radically depending on the tubes. I like the RCA 6cg7 clear top driving the tung sol D getter 5687's or the raytheon 5687wa O getter. The RCA 5687's Mikhail usually uses are to fat and slow sounding in the SLAM for my tastes.

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

I wouldnt expect it to personally... I dont like feedback for the very reason jamoto8 mentioned. I suspect the real problem though was you just didnt like the tube set. The amp changes radically depending on the tubes. I like the RCA 6cg7 clear top driving the tung sol D getter 5687's or the raytheon 5687wa O getter. The RCA 5687's Mikhail usually uses are to fat and slow sounding in the SLAM for my tastes.

My recollection is he used the 5687 which I enjoy in the Raptor. In fact, if I recall correctly Mikhail was using essentially the same tubes I use in my Raptor. At that price, my choice would be an Eddie Current HD25. As to the question asked, for me there is no comparison between the two amps. Again, just my opinion.

Jul 8, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 18
I have the Raptor for almost three weeks now. These are my observations based on my comparison to the Earmax Pro I owned for years.

Strengths :
1. You are like sitting in the middle (or center) of the band and you can enjoy the music from around of your head. The soundstage is amazing

2. Instrument separation is excellent

3. The detail is there and in some good recordings you can hear almost the liveliness of the music. Bass is tight and controlled.

4. This amp does not make you sleepy after hours of listening, unlike the EMP!

Weaknesses :

1. I somewhat miss the sweetness of the tube sound of EMP. Until now I am trying to get used to its sound and I cannot judge at this time whether it is more musical than EMP or not.

2. Although I said listening to the Raptor is like sitting in the middle/center of the stage, the correct phrase is like you are lying on the stage since the sound comes from upper of your head.

3. Some claims that this amp has dead background. I tested the amp with RS 1 and HD650, with no music, at the maximum volume. I could hear a little hiss from the amp.

4. The vocal is little bit too forward to my ears.

Just my two cents opinion ( a honest opinion ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back