PPX 3 (6CG7)Capacitor suggestions
Nov 9, 2008 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sedan delivery

Head-Fier
Other than Jenzen PIO caps,has anyone tried others (Sonicap/etc),that might just set the bar up a notch? I do not want to re-invent the wheel,, just wondering about others experiences.My unit has the 47Uf 630 volt Solen Cap(I'm assuming that is the upgraded PS cap? )Your comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance

Mine is the point to point wired version,if that matters.

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 15
I upgraded (formerly) my MPX3 from an orange drop cap to a auricap. It was a very nice improvement. I also changed ALL of the cathode caps at the same time though. so im not sure what did what. the combined effect was enormously significant.

Orange drops (generally stock in an SP) are actually pretty nice. Certainly not the final word in SQ but not the worst.

I looked at oil/wax caps, but decided against them for my SP as the amps run pretty hot inside which is the enemy of oil/wax caps. The cap is only sort of in the signal path anyways.

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks,, I've been looking at the jenzen pio's,sonicap platinum, & auricaps.

Just checked the VH site,,, 140.00 x 2--moma
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I upgraded (formerly) my MPX3 from an orange drop cap to a auricap. It was a very nice improvement. I also changed ALL of the cathode caps at the same time though. so im not sure what did what. the combined effect was enormously significant.

Orange drops (generally stock in an SP) are actually pretty nice. Certainly not the final word in SQ but not the worst.

I looked at oil/wax caps, but decided against them for my SP as the amps run pretty hot inside which is the enemy of oil/wax caps. The cap is only sort of in the signal path anyways.

I like the Auricaps too. I am not a big fan of the Vcaps. I like the VitaminQs people use in the Millets. The Russian Teflons are very good too.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 15
Well, I think that I'll try something new,,Spraque vitiamn Q's,, found em' for 65.00 each. I've read alot about these,might as well try em. Initially,it seems to be pretty easy,as the unit that I have is PTP wired,I'll report back after I have them in. All for now.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #11 of 15
the solen is the47/ 630 volt,,I'm referring to the two "orange" caps which are 400 volt,,you know,I just finished reading a thread about the ptp wiring,, I know that I could not have done a better job with mine.It's pretty easy to trace.I plan on replacing the two orange caps,which appear to be wired to the tube sockets.Thanks for all of the advice/comments,, keep em' comming
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 15
Just to clarify, the signal caps are 0.47uF/400-600V (Voltage depends on amp...) PPX3/MPX3 should be OK with 400/450V coupling caps. Some PPX3's have a 47uf solen cap in the power supply though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sedan delivery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you know,I just finished reading a thread about the ptp wiring,, I know that I could not have done a better job with mine.It's pretty easy to trace.

Isnt it cool? Its a LITTLE nesty, but once you get the flow of the circuit, its pretty easy to follow. My P-P work is no less nesty.

OOH, as a VERY important note: because of the way the circuit is implemented, it is basically impossible to have bleeder resistors on the output caps. Dont forget to discharge them manually in addition to checking the PSU caps for voltage every time you open the amp. My friend named experience taught me this.
rolleyes.gif
He actually told me about BOTH output caps before I realized where his message was coming from.

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 15
"nesty",, thats a good way to describe it. Serious craftsmanship inside. Mine has the 47uF Solen cap(huge),amd the two "orange caps are wired into the tube sockets. They at .47uF /400 volts IIRC.I left a message with the singlepower folks today,hopefully someone will call me back regarding the upgrades and some tube sockets.At this point I think that I might try the Sonicap Plats or the Vita Q. Thanks for the help,suggestions and opinions. I'll post pic's following the upgrade.
All for now--george

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 15
I just wanted to thank some of the "established" members of this forum for their honest advice regarding my initial post. My PPX3 has the PTP wiring,and the "orange" caps and a big ***** 47Uf Solen,the wiring,solder points,and general overall build exude quality.I'm guessing that this was built by one person,not an assembly line production model mind you,so I'm going to sit back,roll some tubes and just enjoy it for what it is,,a very good little tubed headphone amp. I sincerely appreciate the experienced members honsety.
Thanks---george
atsmile.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #15 of 15
Update; Based on the information given, I'm going to hold off on the upgrade,I'm currently running some 6gu7 tubes,sylvania and 2 rca's, since I now have a variety of 6cg7 and 6gu7 tubes,I;m going to tube roll for awhile,,right now, the 6gu7's are sounding pretty nice. So, why mess with a good thing? If you have not tried it,, do it,, I did not think that I would hear a difference,, you will. That is all
smily_headphones1.gif
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back