PPL - Chip-free trickle charging
Jun 22, 2001 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Videoshielded

Modify or Die!
ppl, I seem to recall that a while back, you posted something indicating it was possible to trickle-charge multipacks of nicad AA's at low current using a resistor, instead of a chip setup?

I'm thinking about a series of 20 AA nicads @ 1.2 volts/600 microamps each for 24 volts at 600 microamps. Or maybe 15 cells for 18 volts at 600 ma.

I'd like to be able to leave the batteries under charge from a wall wort pretty much all the time (except when the amp is actually being played). Workable without battery damage?

Jun 22, 2001 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 5
I'll answer this.

I do this all the time. Then after about a year or 1.5 years
i throw the nicads in the trash (because they now are trash)
and put in a new set.

And if you build absolutely the fanciest nicad charger known
to man, maybe you will get 2 years out of a set of batteries.

Jun 22, 2001 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 5
Kevin seems to have bad luck with Rechargables I have i gess Been Blessed Except with 9 volt types. I have trickele Charged Ni-MH Batteries at 1/10 th the rated MAh using a Diode and a resistor operating off the Wall wart. Works great for Me. My Present set of 16AAA's are using a Max-712 IC and thay still give me the same runtime as when New and thay are over 1 year old. I also Trickel Charge AA's with the Resistor method and have some that are over 5 years old. Now every 9 volt type i tried was junk after about 1 year so i gess the Type as well as the Brand May matter. I belive Thingy is the Best person to Ask about batteries. that is his thing. But from my own experence i have had good luck with Rechargables.

Jun 22, 2001 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Videoshielded
Thanks, guys. So, if I just use current at around 60ma for my 600ma batteries, I'll be okay?

That's what i have Charged 650 MA AA's with. and thay most often are left on Charger for Weeks at a time. So i think you would be ok. I havent seen Thingy listed Hear yet I emailed him to let him Know or this site so hopefully he will find us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back