PPA vs Emmeline HR-2 with Senn 650's
May 4, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by photobob
The fact that there is starting to be a little heat on this thread may point to the fact that the PPA with OPA 637's, Steps PSU and Diamond Buffer is a very good contender to the well touted HR-2.

I don't think it's a matter of competition... it's a matter of what sound signature you're striving for. All of the PPA's that I've auditioned had a significantly different sound signature than the HR-2. It was mostly a personal preference for a certain type of sound that drives one to make the purchase, at this level anyway.

It's hard to claim any true "technical" superiority one way or another. I just found it surprising that people would think they sound alike....

However, Sean brought up excellent points, there is no "definite PPA sound" because there are so many variation, upgrades, small tweaks here and there that can make it sound very different. Just that out of the PPA's I've auditioned personally, I haven't found anyone that sounds like the HR-2. I haven't taken the time to chronicle exactly what components they were using either, in retrospect, I really should have.

Doesn't that make the PPA purchasing decision just even harder though?... In a way it's really cool to have a tweakable design that can be really custom tailored to what you want it to sound like... on another hand it becomes really hard to correlate that to another amp of the same namesake... But that's a whole other discussion
wink.gif

May 6, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
If memory serves me correctly, HR-2 is also very apt at creating good 3d imaging as well as soundstage.

I totally agree. The HR-2 creates incredible depth. Very impressive front -to-back soundstage. Dead black between the notes and each voice in its own "space". Love mine.
CPW

Jun 28, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #20 of 22
I find PPA with diamond buffer sounds remarkably better than the regular buffered version. The difference is transparency that is audiable with even low level cans such as KSC75 (the difference is larger with bettter cans).

The dynamic response of the amp is also effected positively by the diamond buffer. The power supply really help to dampen the HD650 transducers so that I get that deep, accurate full base. I like the PPA (maxed out with 627) with senns. The PPA is about as good as your money can buy under $1k IMO if you are using it with the senns.

I guess to truly beat HR-2 ....you need Dynahi
biggrin.gif
which paired with HD650 will give you total and complete transparency, warm, accurate, detailed, correct timber, 3D soundstage, out of head (recording dependent), and whatever other good sonic attributes you can think of. I think it's the be all and end all of amps
biggrin.gif
(dynamite for balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 22
Yes, the PPA is a remarkable amp. I compared the SR-71 and PPA side by side and I prefered the PPA to it. Muvelling also said that the Maxed PPA should be in the same level of performance with the HR-2. IMO, the maxed PPA or any PPA is highly underrated here in Headfi. For their asking price, about $300 or less, that is a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back