PPA producing loud pops?
Mar 2, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 8
Sort of... there's no simple explanation other than it depends on the PPA. Mine doesn't do much other than a sort of "poof" when it powers down and it's gentle enough that I don't bother taking the phones out anymore. I think that the higher the gain and the more rail capacitance that you have the louder the noises can be, but don't hold me to that.

Nate

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, mine is v1.1 with Glassman buffers and STEPS psu. Never heard it from my previous PPAs, so this was kind of new to me. But none of my other PPAs has Glassman or STEPS, so that may be the reason. I mean I dont mind unplugging my headphones, but it is really a pain having to plug and unplug everytime I want to listen to music.

So, can this "noise" damage my headphones in anyway?

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
Yeah, mine is v1.1 with Glassman buffers and STEPS psu. Never heard it from my previous PPAs, so this was kind of new to me. But none of my other PPAs has Glassman or STEPS, so that may be the reason. I mean I dont mind unplugging my headphones, but it is really a pain having to plug and unplug everytime I want to listen to music.

Add a muting circuit to it like amb's Epsilon 12

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
Is it normal for headphones to show loud pops and clicks when a PPA is powering down?

it depends upon the opamp the AD843 is real bad at pops turn on and of of just the Buffer only should be dead silent

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes, I do have a muting switch on my PPA, but I never thought about using it. Thanks.

My current opamp is AD8065.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back