PPA Front/Rear Panel
Jul 3, 2004 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Juergen

100+ Head-Fier
I'm building a PPA and I'm at the point of driling the front/rear panels. For the rear:

RCA Jacks - Digikey CP-1412 ND - 1/4" hole
DC Jack - Mouser 163-1100 - 1/2" hole
Power - Digikey EG 1890 - 3/4" hole

The DC jack flange is extremely close to the shaft diameter so there is very little room to play with but I'm 95% ok with it. The others look 100%
cool.gif

The front will be a challenge. The ALPS pot looks like it needs a 10/32" hole. The Radio Shack blue LED/holder needs 21/64" (or 8.2mm) and the Neutrik jack might work with a 1" but with 1/32" to spare
eek.gif
. My main concern is that if I want the Neutrik jack to align with the ALPS, the lower mounting screw is just about on top of the circuit board. It even looks like this on Tangent's standard panel layout (http://tangentsoft.net/audio/ppa/mis...anels-v0.6.pdf) page 2, top. The ALPS mounts directly to the board so raising it is not an easy option. Has anyone here had a similar problem?

Jul 3, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Neutrik is 24mm, per the data sheet.

ALPS is 8mm I believe.

I use Klein Tools Uni-bits with a drill press as they tend to be gentler on the soft aluminum than a regular twist drill bit.

Jul 4, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ITZBITZ
Neutrik is 24mm, per the data sheet.

ALPS is 8mm I believe.

I use Klein Tools Uni-bits with a drill press as they tend to be gentler on the soft aluminum than a regular twist drill bit.

I ended up using a 1" bit for the Neutrik and as expected there is a hairline gap. I will have to try again with a 24mm bit if I can get a new panel. I hear they only come in packs of 10, perhaps a group buy. There has to be alot of people out there that might want to take a second shot at laying out a front panel. It's really not that bad but it still bugs me
rolleyes.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 6
Jul 4, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 6
If you use a hole saw you want one that is smaller then the intended hole. No matter how well they are made they still wobble and cut oversized holes.
A 7/8" one is perfect for mounting Neutrik's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back