Powered sub for M-Audio AV40 - how to connect?
Jul 31, 2011 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Elanzer

100+ Head-Fier
I've been thinking about picking up a modest powered sub for these speakers (ie: $150ish or less), something along the lines of a BIC V-1020 or Dayton SUB-100. I'm a bit confused at how it would properly connect in with my setup though.

My AV40s are currently connected to my LD MKIII tube amp, which is then connected to my DAC. With this setup, sound outputs to both the speakers and headphones at the same time through the tube amplifier, when I want to use the speakers I just turn on the AV40s and unplug my headphones.

Looking at the back of the Dayton SUB-100 I see it has a couple low level input/outputs. Would I be assuming right that the normal way of hooking it up while retaining everything else working as-is, would be tube amp -> low level input on subwoofer via RCA -> low level output via RCA to AV40? Would this effectively ruin the "auto" mode on the subwoofer, being that since the amp is always outputting sound into the subwoofer regardless of the speakers being turned off (ie: will it blare bass out when my headphones are on and speakers off)?

I'd like to avoid having to reach down and flip the sub on/off when I'm using it if possible... just not so sure it's possible with this setup.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 2
whoops, double post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back