powered monitors vs amp+speakers for budget desktop setup(with convenient switch to headphones)

Powered monitors vs amp+speakers

• Powered monitors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • amp+speakers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DeeCee

New Head-Fier
So I'm in the process of adding some nonheadphone sound to my work desktop, i will be switching between headphones and speakers, i need some suggestions on how to proceed with the setup

I decided to buy some simple 100EUR powered speakers, while searching for 200EUR powered speakers i found 250~300eur(per pair) JBL LSR305, the problem is that i would have to use windows volume controls and switching between 305s and headphones would be a bit of pita, so i would probably get some interface anyways adding some more costs. adding a bit of money i could get smth like Onkyo A9010, solving convenience issues, and some budget end speakers, for around 100 eur a piece. total cost would be similar, and i would get benefit of convenience and easier upgrades/replacements down the line.

for sound im quite sure both options would be great for the price

what would you suggest, i dont have any experience with stuff that is not headphones or cheap premade 2.1

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 2
I used the JBL LSR305s with a ($49) Schiit SYS passive preamp. Both are a good value.

If you want to switch between headphones and speakers easily, you could alternately get a ($99) Schiit Magni 3 amp, which mutes the preamp outputs when headphones are connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back