Powerbeats Pro (Truly Wireless IEM from Apple/Beats)
Nov 4, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #211 of 337
One of the PBP best features is how to can use either Earpiece to adjust the volume. For the AirPods Pro you have to use your phone to change the volume....definitely not as convenient...Plus the APP have to use their Ear tips, you cannot try other tip makers like you can for the PBP.!!

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #212 of 337
I ordered a Powerbeats Pro for store pickup but decided to try the store demo again (to minimize returns/waste) and really wasn’t impressed at all. I think claims of this sounding significantly better than AirPods are overblown. Maybe I need to test at home and experiment with tip sizes but I think it’s probably better for me to wait for the next great truly wireless IEM.

AirPods Pro were good as well but sound quality was pretty meh to me, and I don’t care for having ANC. AirPods fit my needs just as well, even if quiet music tends to get drowned out in noisy environments. In fact, the first-gen AirPods may even sound better for those who don’t require isolation. (I can’t state that for a fact since I didn’t pass the ear tip fit test in settings.)

Of the two, I am still more tempted to try Powerbeats Pro and maybe demo it at the gym but imo Solo Pro for the most part blew both of them away. I’m just not sure I’d go back to using on-ear headphones for fitness purposes even if they seemed perfectly stable.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #213 of 337
I think to get the proper performance out of the PBP, you need to really make sure the tips fit in your ears. Play around with maybe smaller tips so they are sure to get a better seal. I think the seal is important to get the full Freq. Response and perform their best!

I like the SpinFit tips you can get from Amazon.

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #214 of 337
I'll second the comment about tips. Until I found a good fit (final type e) I was very dissatisfied with the sound. For working out and in general, the physical buttons are a major advantage over the airpod/pro.

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #215 of 337
I think to get the proper performance out of the PBP, you need to really make sure the tips fit in your ears. Play around with maybe smaller tips so they are sure to get a better seal. I think the seal is important to get the full Freq. Response and perform their best!

I like the SpinFit tips you can get from Amazon.
This really applies to any IEM or over-ear headphones.

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #216 of 337
I'll second the comment about tips. Until I found a good fit (final type e) I was very dissatisfied with the sound. For working out and in general, the physical buttons are a major advantage over the airpod/pro.

+1

The sound of the PBPs were not great until I found the right tips for my ears. Then they blossomed. I am very happy with them now, but it took quite a bit of tip-rolling to find the best combination. I ended up with different manufacturer's tips for my left and right ears. Of course I have always known that I am hard to fit for uiem tips, but these were an extra challenge, and worth the effort.

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #217 of 337
+1

The sound of the PBPs were not great until I found the right tips for my ears. Then they blossomed. I am very happy with them now, but it took quite a bit of tip-rolling to find the best combination. I ended up with different manufacturer's tips for my left and right ears. Of course I have always known that I am hard to fit for uiem tips, but these were an extra challenge, and worth the effort.

I agree! I was happy with them when I first got them but not overly thrilled until I found some tips that worked for me. (Comply foam) This along with some experimentation with adjustments and now I'm very happy with these. Like you I have a difficult time with IEMs and my drawer full of tips will attest to that!

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #218 of 337
I agree! I was happy with them when I first got them but not overly thrilled until I found some tips that worked for me. (Comply foam) This along with some experimentation with adjustments and now I'm very happy with these. Like you I have a difficult time with IEMs and my drawer full of tips will attest to that!
I've seen it mentioned many places that these iems are supposed to be semi-open and I only got that feeling when the tips did not actually seal. IMO the people saying that (semi-open) are stuck using the stock tips and can't/won't tip roll.

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #219 of 337

You ought to also try Spin Fit (CP500) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078RF1YLY/ref=psdc_13880181_t1_B07JK4R4R4 they slide into your ears and will stay clean way longer than the porous foam ear piece from Comply. Make sure you buy the right size for your ears (some people two different size tips because their ears are not both the same) . I wear my PBP's every day walking the dog and I am simply blown away by their SQ!!!

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #220 of 337
You ought to also try Spin Fit (CP500) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078RF1YLY/ref=psdc_13880181_t1_B07JK4R4R4 they slide into your ears and will stay clean way longer than the porous foam ear piece from Comply. Make sure you buy the right size for your ears (some people two different size tips because their ears are not both the same) . I wear my PBP's every day walking the dog and I am simply blown away by their SQ!!!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually tried these along with the CP240 and neither one worked for me. I found the tips didn't go deep enough to get a satisfactory seal and even tried spacers but no luck. It's due to the large bulb on the powerbeats as the spinfits are my go to tips with my Noble IEMs. And your right about the comply tips getting dirty but so far they are the only tips that seem to work consistently.

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #221 of 337
I've seen it mentioned many places that these iems are supposed to be semi-open and I only got that feeling when the tips did not actually seal. IMO the people saying that (semi-open) are stuck using the stock tips and can't/won't tip roll.

Yes I saw that too and I think you're right, one still needs a good seal to get the best sound from the Powerbeats. Perhaps the reference to the "semi open" is the venting in the Powerbeats.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #222 of 337
I second that the PowerBeats Pro are close to reference quality. For me they are close to my Shure SE846 with a perfect seal. You need to get a seal even though they offer little isolation, similar to the LCD-i3.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #223 of 337
I second that the PowerBeats Pro are close to reference quality. For me they are close to my Shure SE846 with a perfect seal. You need to get a seal even though they offer little isolation, similar to the LCD-i3.

That’s a bold statement to compare $249 MSRP truly wireless headphones to $999 reference quality IEM’s with a “low pass filter.”

I can see how the fit would be similar to Audeze’s IEM’s. I’ve thought that design would be well-suited to truly wireless, so I’d love to see a truly wireless iSine. (Audeze does make a Bluetooth attachment with a cord, but I’ll take TW for convenience any day.)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #224 of 337
That’s a bold statement to compare $249 MSRP truly wireless headphones to $999 reference quality IEM’s with a “low pass filter.”

I can see how the fit would be similar to Audeze’s IEM’s.
LCDi or iSine series have a wonky tonality. Upper-mids are sucked out like a lot of Audeze models unfortunately. Cipher cables or Reveal EQ doesn't help. The recession in the upper-mids are beyond fixable.

$2.5k for that bad of a tuning is rediculous.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #225 of 337
LCDi or iSine series have a wonky tonality. Upper-mids are sucked out like a lot of Audeze models unfortunately. Cipher cables or Reveal EQ doesn't help. The recession in the upper-mids are beyond fixable.

$2.5k for that bad of a tuning is rediculous.

I had the iSine10 and actually kind of liked its natural response with the 3.5mm. I think it’s better to create a frequency response that doesn’t require DSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back