Power Inverter or no?
Sep 10, 2009 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hedmaster

100+ Head-Fier
I mean POWER CONDITIONER (I was just reading an article about power inverters, doh!)

I have looked, but didn't find any information on this subject via the "search Head-Fi" feature.

How important is a power conditioner for Sound Quality. I know all the theoretical aspects of how it works, etc. But, what I am asking is in regards to SQ.

My specific system is computer as source>Asio4all>(toslink to Keces)1.0 meter Signal Cable Magic Power Digital Reference Cable going to the upgraded IEC:AG-R301 Silver IEC socketKeces>toslink>131 MKII DAC>HiFiMan EF-2>Shure SRH 840/REO2/PC350/PX100, 200.

We live in a 130 yr. old house, but the electric is fairly new, and I have a direct line from the box to my system.

I listen to WMA lossless or Flac.

Any thoughts? I am not willing to spend hundreds on one of these, so please don't recommend one more than $200-at most.

Also, what about the audio quality outlets? Will they be like a half-way point to the power conditioner?

Thanks to everyone for their input,
Matt

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 4
Most stand-alone "inverters" in that price range will put out chopped-off square waves instead of true sine wave.

For best SQ, search eBay for refurbished "true on-line" and "double conversion." Some can be had for very cheap and can sound superb; however, in almost all cases, these industrial power regenerators use extremely noisy fans, so this must be changed to quiet types, like Nexus.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 4
Sorry about that, please ignore post.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by hedmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about that, please ignore post.
bigsmile_face.gif

Actually, my answer remains the same for power conditioners. Except for a few very, VERY expensive and well-designed power conditioners, many will actually degrade sound quality, esp. subjective treble extension and dynamics. I still recommend on-line double-conversion devices for power conditioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back