power conditioning options
Mar 30, 2004 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

loveheadphones

100+ Head-Fier
hi, i'm looking at options for cleaning up my power supply. so far, all i've been able to dig up on the subject are the Balanced Power Technologies products and some Monster Power (conditioning) offerings. What are the advantages of these two (it appears to be) very different products, and what other options should I be considering?

budget $500 (never thought I would even consider that a couple years ago
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 9
I don't know a whole lot about these but I do know Larry sells a Lab Supply for the PPA which I've heard great things about. I'm going to pick one up myself, soon. They cost around $300

Some of the guys here are using them, I think, so maybe they'll pipe in.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 9
There are lots of choices and they get expensive fast. I would suggest starting at the wall. Get a hospital grade outlet or the PS Audio Power Port. After that, you can go with either noise canceling devices or power regenerating type devices - the latter will be much more expensive than the former.

I have the BP-1 from Balanced Power Technology (in my signature). It made tremendous impovements, but it really depends how bad your noise problems are in the first place. If you are interested in BPT stuff, you should contact Walter from Underwood Hi-Fi. He has some great deals on BPT stuff and is very well regarded online.

Exact Power
PS Audio
BPT
Talk to Walter

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 9
I have to recommend the monster line of power conditioners, you can spend as much or as little as you want (with a floor of about 80$ for the hts-1000). The hts-2000 made a HUGE difference in my house, if you want a good inexpensive conditioner give one of these a shot.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Loveheadphones:

I agree with Zoomie. Consider getting some kind of power testing device through Radio Shack or a contract electricians' supply store. First, determine whether you need power conditioning. Second, if you do, then consider getting the PS Audio Power Port: http://www.psaudio.com/products/powerport.asp . Be advised that you MUST follow the directions to the letter lest you no longer be an active, contributing, member of any discussion forum -- ever.
evil_smiley.gif
Also, please realize that it may do nothing to improve your sound to the point where you are like, "WOAH!" It's just merely a little tweak...like the whole power conditioning business. It can't make a system sound "better."

I decided to go with Balanced Power Technologies because Jude has the top of the line one and said it was good. It's a bit different from a power conditioner in that it uses Common Mode Rejection to achieve lower noise floor, blacker backgrounds, and balanced power delivery. In essence, I don't hear anything out of the ordinary using it to play my music or rarely, my films. Keep in mind that I only have the BP.Jr. II Ultra -- the bottom of their heap product. It does exactly what I budgeted it to do...nothing more than eliminate noise, pops, clicks, and distortion. I know because my HT setup is riddled with it because my power sucks in my area. My home was wired for electricity about 50 years ago too. So, I did need it.

You should check out whether you need it.

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Also make sure to look on Audiogon for some of the many bargains they have there. By buying used you could end up with an $800-1000 unit for your $500 budget.

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
I decided to go with Balanced Power Technologies because Jude has the top of the line one and said it was good. It's a bit different from a power conditioner in that it uses Common Mode Rejection to achieve lower noise floor, blacker backgrounds, and balanced power delivery.

I am still enjoying my less expensive application of balanced power from Blue Circle
smily_headphones1.gif
. My experience .

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 9
Go for the PS Audio P300. It's good even without the multiwave. If it's a headphone system it could probably power everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back