power conditioner or power cable?
Mar 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

goorackerelite

100+ Head-Fier
My next step in audio is power supply issues. Would I benefit more from getting a power conditioner or an upgraded power cable? The wiring in my house is pretty old, but I do no hear any hum or noise coming from the power.

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 11
I would recommend getting a power cable. From some research, most lower budget power conditioners might clean up the sound but clamp some of the sparkly dynamics. Its a tradeoff I'm not willing to make. The power regenerating conditioners seem to be the only power conditioners that are really really worth getting (PS Audio Power Plants, etc).

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New house wiring.

Definitely worth looking into. But maybe you could just rewire the cable that goes to the outlet of your setup. Because lamps, fans, tv's, and all else will be quite content with just about any copper conductor old or new. You could also upgrade the AC outlet you use for your setup while you are at it.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My next step in audio is power supply issues. Would I benefit more from getting a power conditioner or an upgraded power cable? The wiring in my house is pretty old, but I do no hear any hum or noise coming from the power.

If your wallet allows that - go for a PS Audio Power Plant. I have one of the first series (gets crazy hot - had to open it up and and place it "bottom up" while installing a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature - may not be run unattended !) with a "Multiwave upgrade" but it really makes a significant audible difference. However, the new ones are much more efficient I think.

Without spending much I obtain good results just with a "decent" self-made power cable. Just get a cable with high conductor diameter (here in Europe 1.5 sq. mm per conductor is OK), make the cable as short as possbile for the purpose in question and use a direct outlet from the wall. Soldering on the connectors in addition to tighten the screws helps as well.

I have to admit that I dont have the slightest idea why these work - maybe this is a psychological effect - maybe not - but understandable or not it has "improved" the sound and enjoyment of the music (at least to my perception). That is what counts - what else should ? I wish you success for powering up your audio system, too.

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 11
^ Oh hi Patrick. You here?
beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS Audio Noise Harvester.

Haven't you already disposed yours when you decided they didn't work?
o2smile.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 11
I just got my new Oyaide P-079/C-079 connectors OFC silver-plated power cable for my single-ended solid state sound system setup and it solved my problem with a fuller sound and the graininess disappeared, but as it isn't burn in yet, it sounds like the music is messy. Every instrument needs to tighten up and the ambiance needs to be toned down. Burn in should help. I used it on the DAC. I'll see if its better using it on the AMP. It didn't add any warmth to the music that I've noticed yet so it seems still neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back