My set up:
CDP: Bryston BCD-1
AMP: Woo Audio WA5 300B single
Headphone: HD800
Speakers: Spendor SP2/3 R2
Interconnect cable: Nordost Red Dawn
Speaker cable: Cardas Neutral Reference
Favorite music genre: Classic and Jazz
Can you give me some recommendation on power cables for CDP and AMP? Thank you in advance! 

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #2 of 24
A power filter or power re-conditioner would be better value.  I found even a basic power noise filter helped with my source components.  As for power cables, markl wrote up 5 years of his experiments with power cables in a thread. While somewhat out of date now, it's a fascinating read and worth searching for.  I personally suspect that power cables tend to have a slight noise-filtering effect, hence my first suggestion about buying a filter instead.  Beyond that, they can alter the tone slightly (possibly due to capacitance effects -- again, my un-verified theory) so one might choose power cables that alter the tone in a way that one finds to be an improvement in one's system.

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 24
I personally loved the Cardas Twinlink power cable.  I used it on my MiniMax CD player, which being on the dark and warm side, benefited from the much increased resolution and treble energy the Cardas brought.

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 24
I love how the Harmonic Technology AC-10 has lowered the noise floor in my system and enhanced overall resolution. They don't come up used too often on AG, but sometimes. Another highly regarded AC cable that you almost never find used is the Kaplan HE. If I didn't have the HT AC-10s, I'd give it a whirl.

BTW, I agree with Currawong, that cleaning up the AC power will yield positive results for your nice system. Later, try some power cords. Something like a balanced isolation Xformer from Equi=Tech, BPT or similar will surprise. 

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 24
If you're plugging your components straight into the wall (or worse, a surge protector), I agree that a high quality conditioner is the best place to get started. The PS Audio Duet is really tough to beat, value wise. If your budget allows, try an Audience Ar2p. As for power cables, there's usually a steady supply of PS Audio AC-5 and AC-10 cords on Audiogon, as well as Acoustic Zen El Nino and Tsunami cords. The Aural Symphonics Cappuccino is a great choice, but very rare on the used market.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 24
Unplug when not in use. Lightning has taught me some heavy lessons. I do go direct wall outlet with my amp(s) because of better response. For that reason (and it was free) I use a Power 1 cord from a now defunct company from Canada.

Digital sources do better with power conditioners. An iso. transformer with separate receptacles is a good choice.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 24
What price range are you looking at ?

If not wanting to spend a lot, the Shunyata Venom 3 is a worthwhile consideration.

Even lower price range Pangea, Signal cables, Supra LoRad

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 24
Try an isolation transformer.  Mine takes any noise off the line, eliminates DC offset and kills ground loops.

Nebraska Surplus is a reputable merchant.  I've bought from them several times and have gotten good service.

Also, you don't need something recommended in the audiophile magazines - these get the job done at a reasonable price.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 24
I just got a Power Cable from aphroditecu29.com called Elecra 5 OCC Copper.  I was very surprised because i have never been able to tell the difference until this one.  I demo'ed it and ended up buying one.

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 24
First a use a voltage stabiliser, it also doubles as spike protection and then use a Balanced Power Supply which removes any noise from the supply - BPS is used in  professional studios.

In Europe a voltage stabiliser should be between €30-50 and a BPS approx. €170 - then look for fully sheilded mains cable, if you have fed the cable with a clean stable supply, there is no need to buy fancy expensive power cable.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
Try an isolation transformer.  Mine takes any noise off the line, eliminates DC offset and kills ground loops.

Nebraska Surplus is a reputable merchant.  I've bought from them several times and have gotten good service.

Also, you don't need something recommended in the audiophile magazines - these get the job done at a reasonable price.

x2

I have a 3kVA isolation transformer to power all my setup. Makes difference more than anything else.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 24
I bought the Audio-gd conditioner. I had Pangea and SignalCable power cords for everything. I tried some $3 Monoprice cords instead and heard absolutely no difference- others were sold and Monoprice generics were kept.
So I X2 Currawong's suggestion about getting a conditioner.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 24
I am a very recent Harmonic tech fantasy III purchaser. Unfortunately they are considerably more expensive these days. But I have been checking my new one out on my computer desk top set up along with my fairly recently purchased Schiit Jottenheim 2 headphone amp/preamp and dac. I recently made another jump to the Schiit Bitfrost 2 after reading a lot of good things about this pairing. But as good as it was with the Jottenheim it pails in comparison to what it has done to my living room set up . I decided to try it on my PS audio line conditioner power strip . Wow the change it made in this set up just is amazing. The clarity of sound was very noticeably improved along with a noticeably larger sense of space and soundstage depth as well. I was using a audience forte 3 which is a very good performing power cable at the 200 dollar level. Of course the Harmonic tech fantasy III ac 10 is over three times the price. But even at that elevated price compared to what the cable sold for at the time all the reviews on this excellent ac power cable I feel that it still provides excellent value in todays market place. I can not say if the cable has had improvements since those reviews some in the early 2000 and as far back as the 1990s when the cable sold for less than 400 usd but there are lots of more expensive cables than this out there these days. But for 630 USD for a 2 meter power cord the jump in sound quality of all the equipment plugged into the PS audio was easily noticed> There is now a much better sense of clarity along with a much more of a sense of space and a much better sense of depth to the sound as well. all this for 630 USD is money very well spent as far as I am concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back