Power cables - longer or shorter is better?
Sep 30, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
The longer the cable is the more it colors the sound. That's why in my system I use as short as possible. Cutting them shorter has saved me $$$$$.

So, a 1 meter cable sounds cleaner then a 2 meter cable? When they are the same make. I have an expensive powercable wich i find too dark sounding on an amp, if i cut it in half, say 1 meter, it could be sounding clearer?

Sep 30, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
I see. I sort of expected power cables to behave differently from signal and speaker cables (given the relatively high voltage and current they carry). So I assume capacitance -which is reduced with shorter cables- is a negative thing even for mains cables then?

Cheers!

What i experienced during my own powercable tests is following:

1,5-2,5 mm2 wire sounds more focused and clear.
4mm2 wire sounds warmer and more body.

Also a considderation when you're looking for powercables.

I presume, the longer the powercable gets, the darker,warmer, the powercable wil sound?!

Sep 30, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

The longer the cable is the more it colors the sound. That's why in my system I use as short as possible. Cutting them shorter has saved me $$$$$.

On the other hand, you don't hear any difference between a 1 meter and a 0.6 meter interlink from the same make. maybe between a 0.6 meter and a 2 or 3 meter cable, it will show some coloration. I agree with ya, the shorter the better, especially for interlinks.

On the other hand, some people on this forum say that 1 meter cords are too short and the powercable needs 1,5 to 2 meters to fully use of the cables properties.

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
So, a 1 meter cable sounds cleaner then a 2 meter cable? When they are the same make. I have an expensive powercable wich i find too dark sounding on an amp, if i cut it in half, say 1 meter, it could be sounding clearer?

Yes.

I heard a difference between 1.5 meter and 1 meter PS Audio xStream Statement power cable. But with Nordost Valhalla I didn't hear anything obvious when going from 160cm to 55cm. It's already clean.

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Yes.

I heard a difference between 1.5 meter and 1 meter PS Audio xStream Statement power cable. But with Nordost Valhalla I didn't hear anything obvious when going from 160cm to 55cm. It's already clean.

I know, i have Nordost interlinks myself and they are one of the most neutral cables around. I really like them.

So, if i shorten the powercable to 1 meter, it should be a bit more clear? The 1.8 meter cable is sounding very warm now and it sounds like a dark blanket over it. To shorten the cable might help lift that blanket a bit? I have the idea it is so warm because of the 4 mm2 internal cables used. As i said, from my experiment i learned that 1,5 en 2,5 mm2 internal cables are more focused and clear yet 4mm2 has more body and warmth.

Sep 30, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
So, if i shorten the powercable to 1 meter, it should be a bit more clear? The 1.8 meter cable is sounding very warm now and it sounds like a dark blanket over it. To shorten the cable might help lift that blanket a bit? I have the idea it is so warm because of the 4 mm2 internal cables used. As i said, from my experiment i learned that 1,5 en 2,5 mm2 internal cables are more focused and clear yet 4mm2 has more body and warmth.

It if already sounds bad then making it shorter isn't going to make it sound good enough. But if you like how it sounds like and want it to sound a little clearer then making it shorter will do that.
Shortening the cable makes a smaller difference than using a different thickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back