Power and capability of the Hornet?
Mar 16, 2006 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Is the Hornet capable of driving a pair of 600ohm headphone like the DT880/600? Has anyone had experience with using high impedance or low sensitivity headphones with the Hornet? How does the Hornet manage battery-life wise?

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Is the Hornet capable of driving a pair of 600ohm headphone like the DT880/600? Has anyone had experience with using high impedance or low sensitivity headphones with the Hornet? How does the Hornet manage battery-life wise?

Definitely yes, I was amazed at the power with my HD580s. I've been using two rechargeable nickel metal 9V I got from Ray with my Hornet and cannot speak to its battery life with disposables. With the NiMe however, I would guess you are in the 30-40 hour range driving the HD580s. Hope this helps.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 9
The Hornet drives all my headphones very well. I usually use it with low gain setting.

It's great with the HD650, DT880 (250 ohm) and K701, as well as ATH and Grado RS-1, HF-1.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 9
Low sensitivity: No prob. The Hornet drives the AKG-501s very nicely, even at low gain.

Battery life: No systematic testing but I know that the Hornet's battery (Accupower 270mAh) lasted at least 12 hours driving the 501 with no signs of drain.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 9
The Hornet will drive any of my phones to levels beyond what any human should listen to, but for the ultimate battery runtime, the SR-71 (w/2 9v's) lasts about 40% longer.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 9
The Hornet drives the Sennheisers just fine.

My friend liked the Hornet + K340 combo too.

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for all your responses.

How does one go about measuring the current output of the Hornet? Do I use the R=V/I formula and hence I=V/R? Does this mean that the lower the impedance of the cans, the more current the Hornet can provide? I heard that the K701 needs a lot of current, can a single 9V give enough current?

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
The Hornet will drive any of my phones to levels beyond what any human should listen to, but for the ultimate battery runtime, the SR-71 (w/2 9v's) lasts about 40% longer.

Does this mean that the SR71 can put out double the current as well and hence double the volume?

I'm no electronics engineer or physics graduate, so I haven't got much of an idea of this all works. Could someone please enlighten me?

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Thanks for all your responses.

How does one go about measuring the current output of the Hornet? Do I use the R=V/I formula and hence I=V/R? Does this mean that the lower the impedance of the cans, the more current the Hornet can provide? I heard that the K701 needs a lot of current, can a single 9V give enough current?

Kinda....doesn't say anything about what current the Hornet can provide though, but rather what kind of current the headphone would like to see. A single 9V CAN give alot of current, at the expense of draining faster.

Quote:

Does this mean that the SR71 can put out double the current as well and hence double the volume?

Not at all. It just means that the SR-71 has more voltage swing. Both amps have different designs so it wouldn't be appropriate to say that the SR-71 can put out double the current just because of higher voltage. In addition, high current doesn't necessarily mean more volume; higher power does. P = I*V = I*I*R = V*V/R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back