Potential DIY fix for preventing failure of Whiplash's TWag cables (and others)
Dec 5, 2011 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Darwin022

100+ Head-Fier
It seems as though there is an ongoing problem with the Whiplash Audio TWag cables.  I've had two fail in under a year, now have a third.  With how unbelievably long it takes to get a replacement from Whiplash when they fail, I've been thinking of ways to improve the cable and potentially use this as an excuse to design a better cable.  I'm wondering if one of the main reasons they fail is because the cables, while braided and flexible, are still rigid enough that they don't stretch or give if snagged or pulled.

I just received my most recent replacement cable and it looked easy to test one of my theoretical fixes.  So far the results seem pretty good.  This could probably also be implemented on other cables that are prone to failure (such as the stock JH/UE cables and any other twisted/braided options.  Braided would work better in this case.

Essentially, I took a concept sometimes used with dock lines:  Put a section of elastic in the core of a braided line to absorb shock.  the line bunches up neatly around the elastic core and allow the line to give a few feet gracefully instead of yanking on the hardware it is attached to directly.  Another method is to have a long cylindrical rubber piece, attach the line at one end, wrap it around the rubber absorber a few times, then attach it at the other end.  Same concept, different implementation (more for twisted lines IIRC).

So I took a Goody StayPut hair band (the larger/thick one) and wove it into the core of the Whiplash cable near the plug with some extra slack in the wires..  It has only shortened the cable by about an inch to an inch and a half, which is acceptable on a 64" cable.  Yes, it makes the cable thicker in that section, but it is still manageable.  Obviously the "RIGHT" way to do this would be to integrate a piece of shock cord into the entire length of the cable, or at least the first 8-10 inches, then heat shrink the ends.  The end of the shock cord would need to be under the main "strain relief" heat shrink tubing and perferrably terminate within the plug itself.  Whiplash has hot glued this section so I don't want to try taking it apart (yet...).

Now the section I've done will stretch about 1" if I pull lightly on it.  This should remove strain from the plug, jack, solder (even though solder should never be load bearing), and the rest of the cable.  It only addresses one end and not the other potential problem areas (the IEM jacks).  I'm also thinking of adding another to the section just below the Y split.  

Sorry for the not so great photos, iphone camera wasn't cooperating very well with HDR in low light.  The thinner section by the Y was an attempt with a thinner version of the same type of hair band.  It doesn't give enough to make it worthwhile.

Wanted to try this method before resorting to the other idea:  a totally overbuilt and much more rigid, protected cable.  

Thoughts or suggestions?  This is an initial test, I'm sure I/we could improve on it.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 3
Wouldn't it be simpler to buy cables from someone other than Whiplash?

Dec 5, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Wouldn't it be simpler to buy cables from someone other than Whiplash?

Technically, t would be.  However, I haven't really found any that are more reliable.  The stock cables get nasty and deteriorate within 4-6 months.  The Beat Audio one was a bit fragile.  The problem is, I actually like the TWag cable while it works, I just want to make it reliable or make something else along the same lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back