Postie looking for good cold weather Circumaural cans around $100 Canadian
Nov 16, 2008 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

X-Nemesis

Head-Fier
Newegg.ca has the Senn HD 255 and the 280pro for around $120 each. But I'm quite clueless as I've never owned a pair of full size phones before. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm wanting to keep my ears warm and listen to good tunes at the same time.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Nemesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Newegg.ca has the Senn HD 255 and the 280pro for around $120 each. But I'm quite clueless as I've never owned a pair of full size phones before. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm wanting to keep my ears warm and listen to good tunes at the same time.

Newegg.ca has the HD555 for about the same price, and you'd probably like it better. Or, do you need closed headphones that don't leak much sound out so it won't bother others around you? Are you open to shopping at other online stores? What type of music is this for, or is it also for gaming or movies? Closed would keep your ears warm. So is this for outdoor portable use? Edit: I missed it before this is to keep your ears warm. The HD280 would do this for you.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 11
a wide range of music but probably more leaning on bass oriented. Mind you I'm not a bass head and as an example I'm currently using a pair of Shure SE220's and despite what I've read other's saying about these phones I find the sound from them and the bass quite acceptable.

Would the cans have to be closed for warmth or would the 555's also do the trick...except just leaking sound out. If the sound quality of the 555's is better than the 280 then I would lean towards quality and just turn down the volume in work and then up when I'm on the street.

I'm certainly open to shopping at other stores..just don't know any besides those 2.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm wanting to keep my ears warm and listen to good tunes at the same time.

Here you go! Earmuff Headphones Make Regular Kind Seem Relatively Useless | Listening Post from Wired.com
smile.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm thinking the wind will just flow in through the grills of the 555's. I would suggest checking out the Denon AH-D1001's. I've only read good things about them for the time I've been here. You can find good prices through ebay or amazon.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 11
I was also looking for such a headphone, but I settled with a pair of JVC RX700 instead of the D1001. They seem to be a bit bigger so I guessed they will be better at keeping my ears warm (though it probably doesn't work like that in reality)

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

a wide range of music but probably more leaning on bass oriented. Mind you I'm not a bass head and as an example I'm currently using a pair of Shure SE220's and despite what I've read other's saying about these phones I find the sound from them and the bass quite acceptable.

Would the cans have to be closed for warmth or would the 555's also do the trick...except just leaking sound out. If the sound quality of the 555's is better than the 280 then I would lean towards quality and just turn down the volume in work and then up when I'm on the street.

I'm certainly open to shopping at other stores..just don't know any besides those 2.

Open headphones won't keep your ears warm nearly as well as closed headphones. I suggest buying the ATH-M50. You can probably find it on eBay or elsewhere online for U.S. ~$120 shipped to Canada.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by st4r0c3an /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was also looking for such a headphone, but I settled with a pair of JVC RX700 instead of the D1001. They seem to be a bit bigger so I guessed they will be better at keeping my ears warm (though it probably doesn't work like that in reality)

From what I understand the d1001's are closer to being supra than circum so I guess that's not such a good idea for the OP. IMO you can't go wrong choosing any of the three options that's been mentioned so far.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Senn HD 280
JVC HAR-X700 or 900

Although the JVC looks a bit bulky.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by yaluen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand the d1001's are closer to being supra than circum so I guess that's not such a good idea for the OP.

Depends on the size of your ears. Mine are perhaps on the small side of medium (though by no means small ears), and the D1001s are fully circumaural for me, and work great as earmuffs.
smily_headphones1.gif
So I suppose you'd have to try them on first.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 11
Oh! Then to the OP, definitely check the Denons out! Maybe moogoob, you can post dimensions of your ears and of the d1001s for make benefit of the OP?

I was suspecting it would be circumaural for some people. I suggested the d1001's might not be a good idea with my ears as reference and they're probably not circumaural for me, I've huge ears...well that what I've always been told.

Edit: the cheapest pair I could find anywhere is on ebay. Here. Reasonable shipping. The colour is silver, but the seller is selling multiple pairs and you can probably ask them if they have it in black if your prefer black.

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 11
The inside dimensions (inner edges of the pads) are roughly 2.25" tall by 1.75" wide. I've got no idea how to measure my ears, so you'll have to imagine they're slightly smaller than that.
smily_headphones1.gif

And I can attest that they work fairly well in the cold, as it was negative four in Toronto this morning. (brrr...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back