Post Your Photography Here #2
Apr 26, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #9,811 of 15,739
You make a good point; I had considered that the green on the left might be distracting from the overall yellow cast, and the rocks are a bit bright.

4f318715_Sunset_RI_DS.jpeg

Eh, it helps a bit maybe.

-----------------------------------

Anyway, here's something I cooked up just recently as relaxation after 5 hours of resizing images; I was going for a very painted feel here, so be warned that it doesn't exactly look like a photograph anymore:

86e687f7_ExtremeSky-PurpleGoldSmall.jpeg

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #9,812 of 15,739

Quote:

86e687f7_ExtremeSky-PurpleGoldSmall.jpeg

I love cloud photographs. They all look the same in a way which makes them kind of boring, this one does not look boring at all!

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #9,813 of 15,739

Quote:
You make a good point; I had considered that the green on the left might be distracting from the overall yellow cast, and the rocks are a bit bright.

4f318715_Sunset_RI_DS.jpeg

Eh, it helps a bit maybe.

Yeah that does look better. I'm sure you could get it even better with some time to fiddle with curves etc. It doesn't stand out nearly as much now which is good.

Love the cloud picture too, very dreamy.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #9,814 of 15,739
Quote:

I love cloud photographs. They all look the same in a way which makes them kind of boring, this one does not look boring at all!

Quote:
Love the cloud picture too, very dreamy.

Thanks - it looked a lot more boring when I started, but I thought it had some potential. I actually rather like the way it came out, although purists would probably complain that it doesn't very closely resemble reality.

Some pictures of a rabbit that found its way into my backyard today:

2e142ff8_Backyard_Rabbit_01.jpeg

da35b286_Backyard_Rabbit_02.jpeg

948858f5_Backyard_Rabbit_03.jpeg

Unfortunately, the focus on the middle image isn't the best, so it doesn't work so well at larger sizes.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #9,815 of 15,739

Quote:
Nice! I particularly like the first one, with the pale blue beads and the metal discs. I think perhaps the reason they don't look traditionally professional is the shallow depth of field (which I like); marketing photos typically employ a great deal of depth of field, with powerful lights to allow for it.

This image is something from last year which I never managed to wrestle into a state where I was happy with it; I still haven't
angry_face.gif

5a6efd52_Sunset_RI.jpeg

Here's my interpretation of your photo, hope you don't mind. :) Just a quick'n'dirty 5 minute job.

Brought the bright green grass hue closer to olive, trimmed the branches sticking into the sky, removed the boats, and took a bit of the burn tool to the beach and the brighter water spots (the spot in the middle didn't burn nicely, it's too saturated now).

eqGlS.jpg

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #9,817 of 15,739
Playing with some off camera flash.  Canon 430EXII triggered by Promaster wireless triggers. Camera is a Canon 1000D with Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.0 OS HSM lens.

Flash is on a light stand just underneath the bottom set of leaves.  Head is zoomed to 70mm coverage, 1/2 power, orange gel.

Flash is on an umbrella stand, green gel shooting through an umbrella about 10 feet to my left.  I want to say 1/4 power?  I shot with a warm white balance for effect.  I like it.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #9,818 of 15,739
Quote:
Since we are on clouds..

Interesting effect, and certainly very different from either of mine; it looks as though the camera is pointing pretty much straight up.

Quote:
Playing with some off camera flash.  Canon 430EXII triggered by Promaster wireless triggers. Camera is a Canon 1000D with Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.0 OS HSM lens.

Flash is on a light stand just underneath the bottom set of leaves.  Head is zoomed to 70mm coverage, 1/2 power, orange gel.

Pretty - I like it.

Quote:
Here's my interpretation of your photo, hope you don't mind. :) Just a quick'n'dirty 5 minute job.

Brought the bright green grass hue closer to olive, trimmed the branches sticking into the sky, removed the boats, and took a bit of the burn tool to the beach and the brighter water spots (the spot in the middle didn't burn nicely, it's too saturated now).

No, I don't mind; good catch on the boat, I hadn't even noticed it (the other one is actually a light house, but you can't tell in the small size - I ended up removing it anyway). I also like the bush trimmed from the sky.

Based on the input from this thread, here's my revised edition of the image:

b836ba52_Sunset_RI_HFE.jpeg

I re-color balanced the green vegetation, trimmed the bush, removed the boat and the light house, altered the levels a bit, balanced the brightness between the two sides and darkened some of the water and rocks.

I think this is a definite improvement over the original; the focus of the image is much clearer now. I notice that you added an orange tinge to the sunset light and I played around with that, but I think I prefer it the way it is.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #9,820 of 15,739

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #9,822 of 15,739
That's pretty awesome.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #9,824 of 15,739

Quote:
I'm digging this one myself.

I love the selective depth-of -field stuff. Seems like it would be interesting for portraits if it didn't distort the rest of the person. I don't remember doing it in school with 4X5 view-camera as I remember we could fold the film-plane and lens parallel and increase a depth-of field, we never put the lens and film-plane in a V position though.

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #9,825 of 15,739

Quote:

I love the selective depth-of -field stuff. Seems like it would be interesting for portraits if it didn't distort the rest of the person. I don't remember doing it in school with 4X5 view-camera as I remember we could fold the film-plane and lens parallel and increase a depth-of field, we never put the lens and film-plane in a V position though.

I've seen some amazing portraits with selective DOF effects.  I used 24mm above, but I may pick up a 90 mm tilt-shift lens eventually for that kind of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back