Post Your Photography Here #2
Apr 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #9,797 of 15,704

Quote:

And lastly, a couple of rare abstracts:
5908a9c9_New-Old_04.jpeg

That is excellent.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #9,798 of 15,704

Quote:

I like a lot about that one, the light, subtle colors and how the shade in the background seems to frame the subject.

Thanks. :) Had to use some fill flash on that one, otherwise the shadow situation would have swallowed all the crispness and details.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #9,803 of 15,704
matthew & lungStruck: Thanks, guys - compliments help during days like this when nothing seems to turn out the way I want it to
mad.gif

dfkt: I agree - very nice.

---------------------------------

I went out today with the intention of doing some treescapes and maybe a nature abstract or two, but I had a frustratingly low turnout of decent shots. I've processed the four best here:

4cfdfda8_DSC_2183_S.jpeg

bec74bb8_DSC_2168_S.jpeg

2d320847_DSC_2101_S.jpeg

ce795c3f_DSC_2106_S.jpeg

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #9,804 of 15,704
Beautiful Green ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^up there!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am doing some photography for an on-line bead shop and brochure. The reproduction size will be maybe smaller than posted here, depending on the final viewing monitor screen size. In the brochure they will be 2"X3". 

Most bead photography is done with a mini light-box. This was shot with natural morning light first bouncing off a white stone floor, then off a white ceiling down onto the stone beads. A little different than normal but the client is super happy with the results. I shot all twelve photographs and completed post processing in about an hour. The client said she had never seen a shoot so fast. I think the photographs maybe didn't come out as professional looking as they could but they have a slightly non-professional charm that may work for the client. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #9,805 of 15,704
Nice! I particularly like the first one, with the pale blue beads and the metal discs. I think perhaps the reason they don't look traditionally professional is the shallow depth of field (which I like); marketing photos typically employ a great deal of depth of field, with powerful lights to allow for it.

This image is something from last year which I never managed to wrestle into a state where I was happy with it; I still haven't
angry_face.gif

5a6efd52_Sunset_RI.jpeg

c4a99954_Sunset_RI_BW.jpeg

I've been staring at it too long and need to distance myself to figure out what it is that bothers me about it. I like the clouds and the water, so I think it's the foreground - particularly, I think it's something about the left pile of rocks and greenery. I tried converting to black and white, and while that fixed my issue it also removed some of what I like about the original.

EDIT: Black & White version now attached.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #9,808 of 15,704

Quote:
Nice! I particularly like the first one, with the pale blue beads and the metal discs. I think perhaps the reason they don't look traditionally professional is the shallow depth of field (which I like); marketing photos typically employ a great deal of depth of field, with powerful lights to allow for it.

I did think of that before, but when you said it it rang true. I don't own a tripod but with a tripod I could have obtained a better DOF. I will remember that if i do beads again. I'm using a 200mm maco lens so 1/200 is as slow as I can go, 400iso is the fastest speed with out grain so a tripod would allow me to go to a slower f-stop.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #9,809 of 15,704
So this is more of a Product Picture....but I like how it turned out which is rare for one of my photo's.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #9,810 of 15,704

Quote:
This image is something from last year which I never managed to wrestle into a state where I was happy with it; I still haven't
angry_face.gif

5a6efd52_Sunset_RI.jpeg

I've been staring at it too long and need to distance myself to figure out what it is that bothers me about it. I like the clouds and the water, so I think it's the foreground - particularly, I think it's something about the left pile of rocks and greenery. I tried converting to black and white, and while that fixed my issue it also removed some of what I like about the original.

EDIT: Black & White version now attached.

I think maybe the left side of the foreground is all a little too bright in comparison with the dark/gloomy kind of yellow hue you have going on in the sky and water reflection. It's what my eyes go to straight away as it stands out too much.

Try lower the saturation on the foreground a bit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back