Post Your Photography Here #2
Feb 5, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #3,976 of 15,743
Man once again awesome shots all
smily_headphones1.gif

@agnostic
keep those b/w's coming!

@onform
I like that first one.. its a simple moment but that photographer in the b/g does make you wonder.

@df
I like that cool slightly desaturated look...

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #3,978 of 15,743
Just futzing around in my room...

DSC_0635_6_7-2.jpg

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #3,979 of 15,743
love the retro 60-70's chair

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #3,982 of 15,743
Hello

I will provide some feedback based on my own opinion, baring in mind I'm no expert.

No.1 I can't help but think this scene really doesn't suit the depth of field you have chosen. the whole point of the long line is to draw the eye into the picture and onto a focal point.. also understand some times you just want to experiment with different things and that there are no hard fast rules I just don't think this quite works.

The rest of the shots are not bad by any means but there just doesn't seem to any real interest or strong defined focal points within them.

Now! I too am still learning so don't take any of what I have said in a negative light I just hope it helps.. well done though and keep knocking out the shots..

Matt

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #3,984 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stripe

Please provide some feedback
smily_headphones1.gif

#2 - the sign in the foreground is a distraction

#3 - this is a hard picture to take because of the contrast. The sunlight scene at the end of the alley is too overexposed

#4 - IMO it would be better as a vertical composition with the lion and the fluting, cutting out the window.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #3,985 of 15,743
hey guys. just finished looking at all the photos since i last posted and wow. good work. things on here are very inspiring.

well i finally got around to getting a medium format camera. i got a bronica etrs for $588 converted. it's used with 75mm 2.8 and waistlevel. 120 back. did i get ripped off? i see a bunch of ones on ebay for ~$150.

anyways here are some pics of the camera and last picture is well...What?!?

3257389387_70d0b5ce55.jpg

3257389369_d91ddd86f6.jpg

3257389379_4a4b0a0093.jpg

3257389355_916104760e.jpg

3258464320_50f7ab65f4.jpg

any constructive feedback? haven't pulled out flashes in a while lol.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #3,986 of 15,743
Well, I played with the Nikon on Wednesday, a little. Too dark really. Its actually the D50, which i think goes for around the same price used as a new d40 and kit lens. Its bigger, and the screen is smaller, and the viewfinder is darker, but it has true auto bracketing, and the AF motor built in. This is good, as playing with it and a 18-55mm showed me the D40's kit lens (18-55) is not zoomy enough for me, and definitely not drag racing etc. My C770 has more zoom.

For drag racing and sport , I need auto, and its nice to have the option on any lens and use. Buying the D40 and kit lens new (same price as used - amazon = great price :O) with a 55-200 lens would cost me far too much, and with a (most def. used) D50 body, and after some research into the kit to mount minoltas, and my dads lenses, it will cost me very little, and even still, alot less, even if I buy an old (better than kit im sure) general use lens, and telephoto!

Based on this (and the fact I found some tips on mounting my Dads old Minoltas onto Nikons) I think the D50 is a better choice with auto bracketing (love HDR) and the AF motor built into the body. My dad would be happy for me to use his lenses I believe, he knows I will look after them, they are better than the cheapy kit lens i'm sure, and there are more, and it will save me money, for now. It will also give me the chance to try other lenses at a cheaper cost to me.

The body alone is £165 used/new on amazon, cant remember. There will be more used d50's than 40's on ebay anyway I think.
So D50 body and any kit I need for mounting Minolta's + a fair few lenses on loan (I think, at least a couple of zoomy/telephoto, and a general use lens, may buy a macro one oneday) over a D40 with kit lens PLUS an expensive AF 55-200mm lens...

I enjoyed using it, and its not TOO big. If I dont try a D40, i wont miss the bigger screen, smaller size, and brighter VF. I find this nice to hold and use anyway, and that is all that matters...

Hopefully the weather will be better, and I can use it while it is light. Have good play with it tomorrow/sunday I hope! Will post the results
tongue.gif
, they wont be great on first use though!

Matt

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #3,988 of 15,743
@BigSpoon: I don't like smoking, so I hate it. Yuck.
^_^

@Baines93: I've been very happy with my D50. I spent about 900$ us for it new back when they first came out. It was one of the first sub 1000$ DSLR's. VERY popular at the time.

I wouldn't be so sure your dad's old lenses are better than the kit lens (in terms of similar focal lengths) unless you dad has pro lenses. The kit nikon lens is very nice for what it is designed to do.

I assume you like to take landscapes in hdr, so I would suggest getting something that will give you a wide angle FOV. You'll also need a telephoto for your drag races.

The very basic Nikon 70-300mm gives you a telephoto lens on a budget. I think it goes for about 130$us. Dirt cheap.
A kit 18-55mm and a 70-300mm would probably keep you very happy for a while. Trust me, you won't miss the 55-70mm. In exchange of the 55-200, you gain an extra 200-300mm. When you need that last little bit of reach, it helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back