Post Your Photography Here #2
Jan 16, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #14,479 of 15,743
I get that you're trying to do something cool. It surely is a great vista, but I can't tell clouds from sun and the colours are all either too washed or their hue is too piqued.

Sun's an orb to the top left.

Cloud and sky color can't be corrected since I wasn't there at best lighting condition (to start with, the sun is in the frame). High noon and everything. Cutting out the sky makes it all weird from that perspective (if I was on a higher tower looking down at a sharper angle it can work).

Couldn't remedy the timing since it wasn't my road trip plan but my uncle's. If it was mine I wouldn't even be at that spot - I'd hike to the other areas and take the photos when the sun will be behind me.

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #14,480 of 15,743
I see what he means though - it's like there is some HDR attempt at knocking down the specular highlights in the sun and clouds (especially noticeable where the sky meets the trees on the top left), and it's causing some weirdness.

Sadly - sometimes a shot you really want just doesn't work out and they don't make the final edit.

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #14,481 of 15,743
I see what he means though - it's like there is some HDR attempt at knocking down the specular highlights in the sun and clouds (especially noticeable where the sky meets the trees on the top left), and it's causing some weirdness.

Sadly - sometimes a shot you really want just doesn't work out and they don't make the final edit.

Yep but I make do with what I get, like not having my own time on that trip. I just sneaked 2mins to take the exposures there - didn't even set up a tripod so I couldn't take measure the stitch out perfectly (and during editing I actually thought the stitch bent the rails, but apparently it really curves that way).

There was an even better spot farther up the road but it's not an official look out stop, and there's no parking, but you can park at the lookout point and walk up. But there's no chance I can wait six hours for the sun to go behind me when I don't have my own car to go back down.

The thing is though I'd still post it because some people might be thinking they need some special lenses (ie UWA), but not necessarily. That has a workaround, especially since some of the non-freeware stitch-HDR apps will equalize exposure levels as much as possible (when I first tried this on LR5 with the HDR plug ins you have to get all the merged bracketed exposures to be at absolutely identical exposure before stitching). At the same time that tells you the importance of taking it at the correct time of day depending on location.

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #14,482 of 15,743
I think the HDR went a bit overboard. A quick side by side tweak. If you don't mind my doing so. Original on the bottom.

Ju3cQTgh.jpg

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #14,483 of 15,743
It's HDR super hard. Sometimes, it's just better to say no to HDR. You can do it very naturally, and you can do it exploring all the bells and grungy whistles.

[EDIT: it wasn't a knock on your composition. I have no problems with that. The HDR effect, however, isn't great.]

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #14,488 of 15,743
77F79907-7611-40C7-A79A-16B8A9ED8126.jpeg
2F776E36-495A-4497-AC05-857B08DD3AA5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back