Post Your Photography Here #2
Jan 11, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #12,766 of 15,739
Clubs are the same way. Most of the time they have a theme and you bring pictures to be looked at and critiqued (and sometimes judged) at the meeting by your peers. The topics vary. For next month the topic for my club is simply "patterns". That leaves it wide open but it gives me something to think about and gets me out shooting at least a little bit. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #12,767 of 15,739
I actually was thinking of reflecting something interesting, but it was 8:30PM, so outside want an option. Maybe my V-Modas would be a good reflection?
------
@ArmAndHammer No, it's not harsh at all. Sure, it isn't positive, but it helps. My gear is fine, but I would really love a good macro for shots like those. And as I said, I'm experimenting , just finding stuff around the house and taking pictures (pretty boring where I live). I don't want to sound braggy or anything, but I think I'm not half bad. Anyway, I'm working with what I have, and learning as I go. BTW, there is a photography class, but I don't feel like I would be up to people choosing the way I take pictures.

In the 1970s, when I teaching myself photography, there was an old lightbulb that was clear. I was able to get a really good photograph of the electricity actually leaving the filament when turned on. Really surprising? But that is the thing, photography teaches us to see normal stuff in a new way. Also to communicate ideas with normal stuff. Getting a photograph of smoke particals leaving a newly burned out candle is seeing what life is from another view point, though this stuff is going on around all the time.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #12,768 of 15,739
  Guys, any criticism you guys have for my pictures is more than welcome. 14 year old aspiring photographer XD 
Need to refine my arts. Really appreciate some for the pics on the previous page.

I'm seriously not qualified to criticise anyones photos yet my friend. Other than they look pretty good to me! 

My only advice from previous arts that I've done and still do -  do it your way and no one elses. Yes it will of course help reading up on the technicals, just like a painter or musician has to 'learn how' to use their chosen tools ... But you will always get more recognition for being original; original in the sense that it is your personality that you are stamping on your art rather than being original for the sake of it! Nothing worse than art for art sake.... Makes me want to vomit.

Keep it up! you've produced some cracking photos going off your flickr page :) 

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #12,769 of 15,739
@ibob4tacoz From my experience, always ask your self what you want to achieve before pressing the shutter button then assess how you can achieve what you want using the gear and stuff you have. I started mainly self-taught but also took a few classes to really nail down the technical stuff. Like all skills, its also down to practice and more practice.

Yes you can jump straight in and make pretty good art but it always helps to learn all the rules and technicalities first before you know how to break them in your own ways.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #12,770 of 15,739
Samsung Focus (phone)

FWIW, photography classes are a great way to help with that "there's nothing interesting to photograph here" problem; in that a teacher/professor/mentor will give you a topic to photograph using your own interpretation on a theme. They will (hypothetically) have access to more equipment, so if you wanted to do product photography you could learn to use the equipment before making a financial commitment. Also, in my experience, there is no better reason/excuse to go out and photograph things like "I have a class!" :)

Clubs are the same way. Most of the time they have a theme and you bring pictures to be looked at and critiqued (and sometimes judged) at the meeting by your peers. The topics vary. For next month the topic for my club is simply "patterns". That leaves it wide open but it gives me something to think about and gets me out shooting at least a little bit. 
That's a good point. I'm usually sitting there thinking of what I can take pictures of. XP
I'vevalways wanted to take my camera to my school, because we have the beautiful performing arts center, and with the light from the early morning sunrise (the sunrises are also pretty amazing), it would look awesome. I dint feel comfortable bringing my stuff only because it's awkward.

@ibob4tacoz
From my experience, always ask your self what you want to achieve before pressing the shutter button then assess how you can achieve what you want using the gear and stuff you have. I started mainly self-taught but also took a few classes to really nail down the technical stuff. Like all skills, its also down to practice and more practice.

Yes you can jump straight in and make pretty good art but it always helps to learn all the rules and technicalities first before you know how to break them in your own ways.

I like to break things

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #12,775 of 15,739
  Erm... Its a robot? :)

Oh I thought the robot was enthusiastically torturing you, while you took pictures. 
tongue.gif

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #12,776 of 15,739
  Oh I thought the robot was enthusiastically torturing you, while you took pictures. 
tongue.gif

hahahaha 
biggrin.gif

Just experimenting with color bud. He's a happy little chap that caught my eye when I was wandering around the house looking for things to shoot :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back