Post Your Photography Here #2
Dec 30, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #12,677 of 15,743

35 mm lens, set to f/1.8 on a Nikon D90, no flash.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #12,678 of 15,743

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #12,680 of 15,743
  @LugBug1 I dont own any Fuji's those were all loaners but am seriously thinking of getting one soon . Wallet currently says NO though. My main cam is a 5D3 but its starting to feel vewry heavy next to all these mirrorless cams!

I know how you feel! I'm currently lurking the fredmiranda and getdpi for sale forums waiting for a deal on them.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #12,681 of 15,743
Also, I've decided to sell my current camera, nicknamed Vanessa. She's been amazing to me over this last year, and has taught me more about photography than i would have learned without her. The image quality she put out has been astounding...the sharpest lens/sensor combination I've ever seen. I've been able to use 100% crops as images on their own.

In her honor, here are some of her greatest hits. Warning, several images incoming.

If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #12,682 of 15,743
eke2k6
What a phenomenal set of photos.

I'm actually thinking of going in the other direction with the adage that the best camera is the one you have on you. In that light, I've been kind of eyeing a canon g7 x or the sony RX100iii. Both have such unique pluses and minuses over the other that I would have a hard time choosing one. Probably the one that goes on sale first since I can't decide but don't really need either =\

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #12,683 of 15,743
@eke2k6
What a phenomenal set of photos.

I'm actually thinking of going in the other direction with the adage that the best camera is the one you have on you. In that light, I've been kind of eyeing a canon g7 x or the sony RX100iii. Both have such unique pluses and minuses over the other that I would have a hard time choosing one. Probably the one that goes on sale first since I can't decide but don't really need either =\

Thanks V!

Actually, we're going in the same direction lol. This camera is actually a fixed lens prime compact, but with incredible power. It's not much bigger than the G7x, but it's heavier. 

I'm mainly looking at the X100 for the EVF and high ISO capabilities. The image quality isn't nearly as good as my current, but I was just telling James that the EVF and body design are to my wallet what the Siren songs were to Greek sailors.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #12,684 of 15,743

Nice clear shots, what ISO did you have set?  

@LugBug1 I dont own any Fuji's those were all loaners but am seriously thinking of getting one soon . Wallet currently says NO though. My main cam is a 5D3 but its starting to feel vewry heavy next to all these mirrorless cams!

I am liking the look and idea of mirrorless with the compact size and portability. But in my little time in this hobby I've found that a heavier camera is far better for hand-held shots. I also think that there will always be a preference for either... Some folks like big cars, some like small - but they both get you from A to B. Remember when mobile phones went really small? They're bloody huge again now haha

But its all about the performance and it does seem that the mirrorless systems are competing with the SLR's in picture quality. EVF's are far better now and can even be preferable over optical with the bonus of extra info etc. It's inevitable that everything digital will take over.... But I also think people may still prefer the 'not broken so don't fix it' style and use of the classic SLR. Just like turntables or even CD players in hi-fi.

One bonus, if the new age cameras do take hold of the market..... Us poor folks will be able to snap up all the leftover DSLR's for far less wonga!  :D 

(I'd love to have a 5D-III, you have one hell of a shooter there!!) 

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #12,685 of 15,743
  I'm mainly looking at the X100 for the EVF and high ISO capabilities. The image quality isn't nearly as good as my current, but I was just telling James that the EVF and body design are to my wallet what the Siren songs were to Greek sailors.

Terrific tribute to Vanessa, Eke!

I understand your decision, but predict that you'll miss her.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #12,686 of 15,743

Terrific tribute to Vanessa, Eke!

I understand your decision, but predict that you'll miss her.

Thanks James!

I already do kind of. I'm starting to second guess if I can get a similar level of sharpness and crop-ability.

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #12,687 of 15,743
  Nice clear shots, what ISO did you have set?  

I am liking the look and idea of mirrorless with the compact size and portability. But in my little time in this hobby I've found that a heavier camera is far better for hand-held shots. I also think that there will always be a preference for either... Some folks like big cars, some like small - but they both get you from A to B. Remember when mobile phones went really small? They're bloody huge again now haha

But its all about the performance and it does seem that the mirrorless systems are competing with the SLR's in picture quality. EVF's are far better now and can even be preferable over optical with the bonus of extra info etc. It's inevitable that everything digital will take over.... But I also think people may still prefer the 'not broken so don't fix it' style and use of the classic SLR. Just like turntables or even CD players in hi-fi.

One bonus, if the new age cameras do take hold of the market..... Us poor folks will be able to snap up all the leftover DSLR's for far less wonga!  :D 

(I'd love to have a 5D-III, you have one hell of a shooter there!!) 

I'm in a privileged position given I take photos for a living and have regular access to gear to swap and try :D The big dslrs will always be there for the heavy hitting work that need high fps or insane af tracking though the mirrorless ones are closing the gap pretty fast! Looking forward to what all the camera makers push out next year!

I know how you feel! I'm currently lurking the fredmiranda and getdpi for sale forums waiting for a deal on them.

Yea if you can wait, 1-2 years after a camera is out is when the price crashes. The X100 really took a nosedive when the X100s arrived but the s still holds its value pretty well even until now! Skip the GX7 and go with the Fuji X100 series (yes its double the price) or you can pick up a used XE-2 for a good bargain now?

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #12,688 of 15,743
Went snow shoeing yesterday with my nephew. First time I've done it. We hiked 500 meters up to the top of this peak. Beautiful, and talk about a good workout!

I took this with my Samsung S2. I really didn't expect much because I'm usually not very happy with the IQ out of it, but it nicely captured the scene this time. Please excuse the crooked horizon! (no post processing):

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #12,689 of 15,743
Here's a few shots I've managed to squeeze out of the ol'Nikon and/or Sony....

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #12,690 of 15,743
Thx @Dior for the subject.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back