Post Your Photography Here #2
Dec 17, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #12,587 of 15,739
  Hm, not bad my friend, not bad. What camera did you get?

Thank you :)

Its just a bridge Fuji s1600, got it cheap to practice on while I save for an SLR. I'm hoping I'll be able to snap up a second hand entry level Nikon soon, probably D40 or 60 to get me started.

is something like a D40 still worth having these days or should I aim a bit more recent? Limited funds thats all...

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #12,588 of 15,739

is something like a D40 still worth having these days or should I aim a bit more recent? Limited funds thats all...

Save your money and get something more recent, with cleaner high ISO images, plus a newer body tends to AF better with more lenses.That said, why go for a camera that still uses a pentaprism? Unless you're talking about more specialized (and way heavier) bodies that do better with certain tasks - like the 36mp D800 for landscapes, the likes of the D7000 and 7D for action photography (fast AF, some have weather sealing, etc) - the only drawbacks to mirrorless is that the lenses could be expensive.

On the other hand, that's for the most part if you're comparing the mirrorless lenses from the same company that manufactured the bodies to the low-end lenses of Nikon/Canon/Pentax and third party lenses (many of which tend to have compatibility quirks, or quality issues). Otherwise, a mirrorless body with the right lens and bag will mean you will have less situations where you'd rather leave your serious camera at home because it's heavy and have more opportunities to shoot. I have too many friends who don't get to use their DSLRs because of that. For a time they at least got to use them in parties, since they can light up the scene properly (with a remote speedlight somewhere too) and focus better, but now everyone just uses their iPhones.

You can save up for a Sony NEX-6 with the compact power zoom lens - it'll probably focus a lot faster than an old DSLR even in low light, and definitely has a cleaner high ISO output.  That 16-50 lens should cover general photography needs for someone who doesn't want to blow a lot of money on Sony's 10-18mm and a complimentary telephoto lens. Alternately, you could buy a used OM-D E-M5 with the 12-50 kitlens - comparable if not faster AF, IBIS, and weather sealing (you never know when this might come in handy). This is a huge jump in price still over a used D40, but if you have the S1600 now, then might as well save up for a really good system cam later on and just use that one for as long as it's functional or until you have enough money to get a good cam.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #12,589 of 15,739

Save your money and get something more recent, with cleaner high ISO images, plus a newer body tends to AF better with more lenses.That said, why go for a camera that still uses a pentaprism? Unless you're talking about more specialized (and way heavier) bodies that do better with certain tasks - like the 36mp D800 for landscapes, the likes of the D7000 and 7D for action photography (fast AF, some have weather sealing, etc) - the only drawbacks to mirrorless is that the lenses could be expensive.

On the other hand, that's for the most part if you're comparing the mirrorless lenses from the same company that manufactured the bodies to the low-end lenses of Nikon/Canon/Pentax and third party lenses (many of which tend to have compatibility quirks, or quality issues). Otherwise, a mirrorless body with the right lens and bag will mean you will have less situations where you'd rather leave your serious camera at home because it's heavy and have more opportunities to shoot. I have too many friends who don't get to use their DSLRs because of that. For a time they at least got to use them in parties, since they can light up the scene properly (with a remote speedlight somewhere too) and focus better, but now everyone just uses their iPhones.

You can save up for a Sony NEX-6 with the compact power zoom lens - it'll probably focus a lot faster than an old DSLR even in low light, and definitely has a cleaner high ISO output.  That 16-50 lens should cover general photography needs for someone who doesn't want to blow a lot of money on Sony's 10-18mm and a complimentary telephoto lens. Alternately, you could buy a used OM-D E-M5 with the 12-50 kitlens - comparable if not faster AF, IBIS, and weather sealing (you never know when this might come in handy). This is a huge jump in price still over a used D40, but if you have the S1600 now, then might as well save up for a really good system cam later on and just use that one for as long as it's functional or until you have enough money to get a good cam.

Thanks for that, very helpful. Yes I think I may be kidding myself thinking that any DSLR will be a big improvement over any bridge cam. The technology seems very fast at the mo. Its early days for me and photography so I'm going to be doing a lot more research before I decide what I'm going to go after. Besides I'm just getting to grips with manual usage and not having many f stops and limited ISO makes life a little easier - even if it does limit my scale of pictures.  

I totally understand the convenience thing, my s1600 fits in a small bag and can fit inside my wife's handbag haha - easy to take anywhere! I do like the idea of spontaneity in photography and to be able to grab a camera anytime and so with an slr that needs to be put together and carried about in a larger bag, you will only be doing planned trips. 

Hmmmm.... I've defo caught the bug so I will be upgrading. But I'm just going to enjoy taking pictures for now and try not to be in too much of a hurry to have everything now!! :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #12,590 of 15,739

Its just a bridge Fuji s1600, got it cheap to practice on while I save for an SLR. I'm hoping I'll be able to snap up a second hand entry level Nikon soon, probably D40 or 60 to get me started.

Keep taking pictures, and you'll develop a better eye for spotting things. Honestly, I just say save your pennies and eventually, you can get a midrange DSLR. It's my philosophy (in a sense) to just get the best that you can, so you don't have to keep getting a new/better version of that item.

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #12,591 of 15,739
  Thanks for that, very helpful. Yes I think I may be kidding myself thinking that any DSLR will be a big improvement over any bridge cam. The technology seems very fast at the mo. Its early days for me and photography so I'm going to be doing a lot more research before I decide what I'm going to go after. Besides I'm just getting to grips with manual usage and not having many f stops and limited ISO makes life a little easier - even if it does limit my scale of pictures.  

I totally understand the convenience thing, my s1600 fits in a small bag and can fit inside my wife's handbag haha - easy to take anywhere! I do like the idea of spontaneity in photography and to be able to grab a camera anytime and so with an slr that needs to be put together and carried about in a larger bag, you will only be doing planned trips. 

Hmmmm.... I've defo caught the bug so I will be upgrading. But I'm just going to enjoy taking pictures for now and try not to be in too much of a hurry to have everything now!! :)

For all you know, later on you might just end up with something like the LX100. It has a fast, bright, reasonably sharp 25-75mm equivalent lens, and gets a 12mp image in 3:2 or 4:3 (and the angle of view stays the same whichever aspect ratio you use). It's smaller than your S1600 too, but has a larger sensor, and cleaner high-ISO output. The more compact lens and clip-on flash might even mean that you'd have less issues with the lens casting a shadow when using the flash. Sure, it can't do super-telephoto and superwide (let alone ultrawide), but the focal length of the lens covers the most usable for general photography. It goes a bit wider than, say, the X100 and RX1 too, and for portraits you can rely on longer focal length when zoomed in to help blur the back ground instead of just the wide aperture on the aforementioned cams. I barely shoot wider than f4 myself, but when I do, I have to adjust the contrast to highlight and "sharpen" the subject (it's actually sharp, but the X100 tends to overexpose the subject, even if you set its exposure setting to -1 or a bit lower).

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #12,593 of 15,739

From how clean the file looks at this shutter speed, no way it's your DP1M 
tongue.gif

Haven't posted here in a while...

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #12,595 of 15,739
Dec 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #12,598 of 15,739
So many brilliant photos on this thread, I'm working my through.

I'm still pondering which camera to buy.... So in the mean time heres a few inanimate objects, a human and a festive tree taken with my little Fuji :)

This above is my favorite photo I've taken so far. Not only because it's personal (my son), but the way hes staring into space in between playing, wonder what hes thinking!  

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #12,599 of 15,739
  So many brilliant photos on this thread, I'm working my through.

I'm still pondering which camera to buy.... So in the mean time heres a few inanimate objects, a human and a festive tree taken with my little Fuji :)

This above is my favorite photo I've taken so far. Not only because it's personal (my son), but the way hes staring into space in between playing, wonder what hes thinking!  

I forgot it's Christmas... family doesn't really celebrate it.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #12,600 of 15,739
  I forgot it's Christmas... family doesn't really celebrate it.

Sounds good to me :) Bloody expensive time of the year! But the kids enjoy it..

Anyways guys, the urge to buy another camera has beat me. I fought it best I could... Had a big fight with my wallet last night and it ended up storming out. Credit cards and all! Luckily I'm faster than it. A very clumsy rugby tackle followed and I soon had it on the ground in the front garden. Then after picking up my visa card and swivelling it in it's hand 'Eastwood' styley, it stood and looked at me (neighbours are out watching) with nothing short of venom in its eyes! But after a short face off I was just too fast for it. I was able to perform (even in bad light) a swift (but highly effective and well rehearsed) 'Boston crab" (google it). I've rehearsed this many times, but its normally my wife performing it on me, so it was nice to be the winner on this occasion. It didn't take long after that for it to see things my way... It shuffled back into my back pocket and we haven't spoken since. But I did buy a new camera!

Anyways, $200 for a spankers Nikon d3100 with kit lens was too much of a bargain. This should keep me going for now.. I'm not expecting it to out-perform my zooming Fuji in every area as I'm wise enough to know 'its the photographer not the camera' that matters most. But it will be better for practicing on full manual me thinks.

Bye bye darlin.....

Hello Sailor!
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back