Post Your Photography Here #2
Apr 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #12,092 of 15,743
spent a couple weeks in japan so I've got a bunch of pictures coming... 
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #12,099 of 15,743
  Your images are clear, sharp, impressive, but... that city horrifies me. I live 30 clicks from there and freak out every time I have to go in.

I didn't find it nearly as overwhelming as I expected. It probably helps that I'm tall but moving through the worst crowds was more a matter of just picking the right wave and moving with it.
normal_smile .gif
My most annoying experiences were travel/tourist related. Narita was miserable - the airport is sweltering inside and the lines for customs and the JR exchange desk were a very unpleasant way to come off a long flight - I damn near passed out at JR between the heat, exhaustion, and amount of crap I was hauling around. Very inefficient handling of both too, the forms are ridiculous compared to the US or Canada. The Skytree line was similarly bad - almost an hour and a half of claustrophobia with rude tourists in a very long line (the length of the line was kind of hidden from view too, so you get halfway through before realizing what you really committed yourself to - the signs of the wait time were not accurate
rolleyes.gif
). Tokyo tower was much nicer honestly, even if it's older and not as much of a spectacle. Otherwise, getting around was easy and there were plenty of quieter back streets to roam and such. Very serious city most of the time though. When I got to Osaka/Kansai region (next photos) it was nice to see people that actually show emotion from time to time. 
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #12,102 of 15,743

I didn't find it nearly as overwhelming as I expected. It probably helps that I'm tall but moving through the worst crowds was more a matter of just picking the right wave and moving with it.
normal_smile%20.gif
My most annoying experiences were travel/tourist related. Narita was miserable - the airport is sweltering inside and the lines for customs and the JR exchange desk were a very unpleasant way to come off a long flight - I damn near passed out at JR between the heat, exhaustion, and amount of crap I was hauling around. Very inefficient handling of both too, the forms are ridiculous compared to the US or Canada. The Skytree line was similarly bad - almost an hour and a half of claustrophobia with rude tourists in a very long line (the length of the line was kind of hidden from view too, so you get halfway through before realizing what you really committed yourself to - the signs of the wait time were not accurate
rolleyes.gif
). Tokyo tower was much nicer honestly, even if it's older and not as much of a spectacle. Otherwise, getting around was easy and there were plenty of quieter back streets to roam and such. Very serious city most of the time though. When I got to Osaka/Kansai region (next photos) it was nice to see people that actually show emotion from time to time. 
wink.gif

Exactly my experience too, Osaka and Kyoto is much nicer than Tokyo but I love shooting Ginza at night.  You visited Japan the perfect timing, I missed the cherry blossom every time.  Did you plan it?

My local cherry blossom, nothing compare to Japan's cherry blossom.

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #12,103 of 15,743

Exactly my experience too, Osaka and Kyoto is much nicer than Tokyo but I love shooting Ginza at night.  You visited Japan the perfect timing, I missed the cherry blossom every time.  Did you plan it?

Not specifically, I booked it quite a while ago knowing I may hit it or not. Being just on the tail end of it in Tokyo was a nice surprise, and visiting Arima Onsen (the last few I posted) was great since it is higher elevation, so the petals had really only just started falling. That was a very relaxing and beautiful day. :)

I thought we had a pretty decent set of cherry trees in Portland, but yeah, it doesn't even compare. Our largest row on the waterfront is all small-medium sized trees and the giants are smattered around neighborhoods. Pretty, but compared to Yoyogi Park and Nakameguro...

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #12,104 of 15,743
  Travelling Tokyo is one thing. I used to love it. Even when I studied there I loved it. Now working in the area and smelling the city every day... I've had enough. 35 million people in one sprawl... it's beyond negligent.

(You were asking for it 
tongue.gif
)

Getting a couple of weeks to play with two shiny bike helmets made for lab mice...

Usually, I don't really like posting audio-related shots, but I was kind of proud of the way this shot turned out, considering I had five minutes and one light source --- the sun (no reflectors, no flashes, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back