post your grado mods....
Sep 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #3,856 of 8,987
Quote:
Another pair of Grado's, an SR80i to be exact.

You'll have to heat up the plastic cups a bit to soften the glue.  Once that has been done, you can carefully separate the plastic outer cups from the plastic piece holding the driver.  I've done it before with my heat gun.  I carefully turn the cups as I'm applying heat.  They have to get pretty warm in order to melt the glue.  So, ensure you have some rags handy as you'll need the rags to cover the plastic pieces when you grab them to twist open the cups.  There's another method that has been documented which involves a shallow pan of water heated in the oven.  With this method, steam softens the glue so you can pull them apart.  I've never done the steam method before, just the heat gun method.  If you don't have a heat gun, you can use a hair dryer.  Keep the cups turning while you're applying heat as you don't want to melt them.  But, like I said, you have to get them pretty warm.

Typically, Grado just glues their plastic cup pieces together with glue from what appears to be a hot glue gun.  When you re-assemble them, you could use a bit more hot glue, then quickly push the cups together and let the glue harden.

It's not a bad process.  Just go slow and you'll be OK.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #3,857 of 8,987
Quote:
Quote:
Another pair of Grado's, an SR80i to be exact.

You'll have to heat up the plastic cups a bit to soften the glue.  Once that has been done, you can carefully separate the plastic outer cups from the plastic piece holding the driver.  I've done it before with my heat gun.  I carefully turn the cups as I'm applying heat.  They have to get pretty warm in order to melt the glue.  So, ensure you have some rags handy as you'll need the rags to cover the plastic pieces when you grab them to twist open the cups.  There's another method that has been documented which involves a shallow pan of water heated in the oven.  With this method, steam softens the glue so you can pull them apart.  I've never done the steam method before, just the heat gun method.  If you don't have a heat gun, you can use a hair dryer.  Keep the cups turning while you're applying heat as you don't want to melt them.  But, like I said, you have to get them pretty warm.

Typically, Grado just glues their plastic cup pieces together with glue from what appears to be a hot glue gun.  When you re-assemble them, you could use a bit more hot glue, then quickly push the cups together and let the glue harden.

It's not a bad process.  Just go slow and you'll be OK.

Oh, sweet. I'll see what I can do, thanks a lot, wje! 

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #3,859 of 8,987
 You just heat up the cups with a hairdryer pull the cups apart , take the old cable off and put the new cable on. 

I don't think you'll have a problem after the mods you just completed.
Ok, cool:) Anyways, the only part I didn't understand was the zip-tie part. I couldn't get it tight enough to grip onto the wire and not move. Did I do something wrong?

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #3,860 of 8,987
Where did you buy it.....dollar store?

I bought some that didn't get too tight but I bought others that got good and tight.....try another brand. 

You have to put them on the right way...one side works and the other side doesn't. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #3,861 of 8,987
Quote:
Ok, cool:) Anyways, the only part I didn't understand was the zip-tie part. I couldn't get it tight enough to grip onto the wire and not move. Did I do something wrong?

Did you try pulling it with a pliers?  I know in the past, I've had to pull on the zip ties like crazy to get them to grip on the wire.  I've bought good quality ties, too.  Also, if they are the smaller ones, you can get by with installing two of them in place if you need to  Nobody will ever see both of them inside the cups.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #3,862 of 8,987
I didn't try pliers. 7Keys, do you have the link of the exact ones that you use? Thanks:)

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #3,864 of 8,987
 I don't have a link but I think Wje might have hit the nail on the head..........you need to pull hard with pliers. 
Ok, I'll see with the next build:).

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #3,866 of 8,987
Quote:
Try it before your next build, you probably have some zip ties left over, go get one and give it a tug with the pliers and see how it goes.

Will do tomorrow!
size]

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #3,867 of 8,987
I'm assuming 7Keys is talking about a Channel-Lock.  It's about the only pliers big enough to get around the Grado cups.

If you use this device, just ensure that you protect the cups with a few layers of cloth so you don't leave any teeth marks.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #3,868 of 8,987
I believe they are talking about tightening the zip tie on the inside of the driver so it gets the strain if it is pulled on, not the solder joint. There would be no reason to put a channel lock around the cups.
Also when I opened my both of my Grados, I used a rubber grommet below the tie wrap, so I didn't have  the noise from the plastic tie wrap hitting the aluminum/wood, so there is no clicking sound from the wires hitting the cups.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #3,869 of 8,987
Quick question for you guys, if anyone has the time!  I am looking into doing a single-side detachable cable mod on a pair of SR-80i that I am messing with, and was wondering if mounting the female 3.5mm adapter assembly inside the cup will cause any problems with the sound or balance at all?  I am including an image of the mount I am looking at using, just for reference.  Thanks for your help and tips!

Link to mod: http://imgur.com/a/fWhm4

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #3,870 of 8,987
Quote:
Quick question for you guys, if anyone has the time!  I am looking into doing a single-side detachable cable mod on a pair of SR-80i that I am messing with, and was wondering if mounting the female 3.5mm adapter assembly inside the cup will cause any problems with the sound or balance at all?  I am including an image of the mount I am looking at using, just for reference.  Thanks for your help and tips!

Link to mod: http://imgur.com/a/fWhm4

That should work.  I'm not sure about the quality of that particular connector from Radio Shack.  However, if you do use it, apply some super glue on the inside of your cup to assist with holding it in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back