post your grado mods....
Sep 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2,476 of 8,987
Quote:
That all sounds right. If you switch left and right, the soundstaging will be backwards.

Exactly - you won't want to listen to music the wrong way round - if my headphones are on backwards it just sounds wrong - most music is mastered using speakers set up to create the optimum stereo 3D 'image' - reverse the image and it won't sound right... to me it sounds like the music focus and soundstage is lost.

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2,477 of 8,987
Looooong time lurker finally posting.
Sony headband and a ghetto looking 1 sided removable cable. Using a cheap cable till my signal cable gets in.
IMG_20121001_072731.jpg

IMG_20121001_094856.jpg

IMG_20121001_094811.jpg

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #2,478 of 8,987
@andrew025 - very neat! I'd like to see the final results, but it already looks like it was made that way. The gimbals look like they're made for the black plastic SR - series.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #2,480 of 8,987
Hi everyone -

The silver paint on the little round emblems on my SR325i's ear cups is chipping off. In fact they came that way and when I ordered a second pair, the emblems were fine but the sliver/gray powder coating on the ear cups (or whatever it's called) was a mess - one ear side was uneven and actually lumpy, so those are definitely going back. I ordered a third set and the chipping paint was again present, although not as bad as the first pair. However, I did noticed a few things that troubled me: first, one ear cup swivel was much tighter than the other and second, where the cables enter the bottom of the ear cups, the cables could be pushed up into the ear cup and pulled out - kind of like there was about 2 inches of slack in there. The first two pair did not do this - the cables were firmly attached within the ear cups and could not be pushed up into the ear cups or pulled out.

I'd really appreciate feedback on these issues. I know these are mostly cosmetic issues, but for hi-end audiophile equipment, I expected higher quality control. Here, specifically are my questions:

1. is it common to have chipped paint on the edges of the circular emblems on the ear cups?

2. can the emblems be removed and replaced with ones that are not chipped? If so, how can they properly be removed and how/where can I get replacement? Will Grado send them to me?

3. I was told that the reason that Grado switched from brushed metal (which I much prefer) to powder coating was for uniformity issues, yet the uniformity on the powder coating is pretty bad.  Has anyone else noticed this?

4. is is typical or by design to be able to push and pull the cables in and out of the ear cups? As I said above, on one pair there is slack that permits this, but on the other two pair the cables are tightly attached...

Many thanks!

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #2,481 of 8,987
Along my Grado journey I started collecting bits and pieces from other Grado lovers in the classifieds, until recently when I finally decided to put it all together to make a Grado of my own, and that is when my FrankenGrado was born.

Check it out:

This were the last parts I got for my project, but they were certainly the most important ones. Thanks Ohrenholz!

Golden SR325 drivers with some heavy blue-tack damping (let me know whether I went overboard with this :p)

I cannot decide whether I prefer the more open or closed grill, so in the mean time will be keeping both.
Maybe you guys can help me decide which one is nicer :wink:

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #2,485 of 8,987
The mesh with the tighter weave looks better imo. 

Also, very quick question, but where did you get your mesh? I've been meaning to replace my old "sieve" mesh for something that looks a bit cleaner. 

+2 on the tighter weave grill. :D

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #2,488 of 8,987
Quote:
Hi everyone -

The silver paint on the little round emblems on my SR325i's ear cups is chipping off. In fact they came that way and when I ordered a second pair, the emblems were fine but the sliver/gray powder coating on the ear cups (or whatever it's called) was a mess - one ear side was uneven and actually lumpy, so those are definitely going back. I ordered a third set and the chipping paint was again present, although not as bad as the first pair. However, I did noticed a few things that troubled me: first, one ear cup swivel was much tighter than the other and second, where the cables enter the bottom of the ear cups, the cables could be pushed up into the ear cup and pulled out - kind of like there was about 2 inches of slack in there. The first two pair did not do this - the cables were firmly attached within the ear cups and could not be pushed up into the ear cups or pulled out.

I'd really appreciate feedback on these issues. I know these are mostly cosmetic issues, but for hi-end audiophile equipment, I expected higher quality control. Here, specifically are my questions:

1. is it common to have chipped paint on the edges of the circular emblems on the ear cups?

2. can the emblems be removed and replaced with ones that are not chipped? If so, how can they properly be removed and how/where can I get replacement? Will Grado send them to me?

3. I was told that the reason that Grado switched from brushed metal (which I much prefer) to powder coating was for uniformity issues, yet the uniformity on the powder coating is pretty bad.  Has anyone else noticed this?

4. is is typical or by design to be able to push and pull the cables in and out of the ear cups? As I said above, on one pair there is slack that permits this, but on the other two pair the cables are tightly attached...

Many thanks!

No feedback? I'd really appreciate some input - thanks!!

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2,489 of 8,987
Quote:

No feedback? I'd really appreciate some input - thanks!!

I think most guys on this thread havn't as much experience with the 325i as with it's plastic siblings as the aluminium shell isn't really cut out for modding (which is why we're all here). So please excuse any delay in response to something which isn't 'Grado Mod' related. 

That aside I can tell you that on my RS2i the cables are slack and CAN go in further, but not out, as the standard zip-tie prevents it from doing so - this isn't anything to do with quality control, it's just how Grado does things. One man sees beauty in the simplicity of the design, the other man sees a lazy design choice - either way it's not doomed to break any time soon even if there is slack. 

I can't comment on the 325i. Never owned one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back