post your grado mods....
Aug 1, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #2,386 of 8,987
Quote:

Were you one of the people who won the Facebook giveaway?

I wonder if someone makes iPhone compatible cables that are of high quality. I'd definitely consider doing something custom with them.

That was me indeed!

After a brief search, I found something interesting on instructables, scroll down to see the guts of a remote.

http://www.instructables.com/id/iPod-Inline-Remote/#step1

The remote seems to be quite simple, one wire for the mic, one for the ground, the remote probably creates a brief short-circuit to signal the phone, with each button producing a different number of short-circuits.  This should be relatively easy to hack: Cut off the wire (going to the earbud) coming out of the top of the remote (plug hole with a bit of glue?) then strip the rubber sheath from the wire below it, isolate the mic and a ground wire and work that into a custom wire set-up with a trrs connector, ultimately attaching the remote to the sheathing for instance. Would require some creativity, but this way you have a remote+mic and still have the ability to use proper quality cables.

Quote:
You can use the cable from Shure earphone.
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Accessory-Headphones-CBL-M-K-EFS/dp/B0043241X8/ref=pd_cp_MI_3
Just cut the connectors and you got a good quality cable.
biggrin.gif

Happy modding

That should work too if that cable is suitable to you, alternatively the Ultimate Ears TF10vi replacement cable should do the trick too, 30 dollars, slightly cheaper, though I have no idea how it compares to the Shures in terms of quality. https://buy.logitech.com/store;jsessionid=2F36EEB6D5A9200EBF44AC5DB051D1CF?Action=DisplayPage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=logib2c&id=ShoppingCartPage
- No volume control on this one.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #2,387 of 8,987
Here's a simple DIY mod - I wanted to buy these but couldn't find any in Germany, so I had some spare steel tubing lying around from another project, polished it,  cut two small pieces, sanded the edges, drilled a hole in each and used 2 spare screws from a desktop computer chassis - it has a nice industrial look that is so simple it doesn't seem to clash much with the original design. 

Luckily I didn't need to thread the holes as the screw threads are designed to screw into a non-threaded chassis. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #2,388 of 8,987
Do wood cups make enough of a difference to justify $200-$300 from Martin (Im aware its lower other places)? Is it all about the looks with wood cups? Or does it change the sound enough to justify $200-$300? Thoughts from owners please.

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2,389 of 8,987
I've read quite a few times from users that the wooden cups are designed in such a way that they are 'tuned' to colour the sound that is in synergy with the driver... however I've never seen an official source on this.

I can't do direct comparisons as my SR60i was stolen before I got my RS2i, but from memory (spending over an hour in a shop going back and forth between all Grados from SR60i to RS1i) Wood seemed softer, like it tamed the treble, or at least made the treble smoother. Mids seemed to have a more natural timbre. 

It could be the improved drivers, or some sort of placebo, but I distinctly remember a massive preference for wood over plastic and aluminium, but not quite a massive difference in sound.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #2,390 of 8,987
Quote:
Do wood cups make enough of a difference to justify $200-$300 from Martin (Im aware its lower other places)? Is it all about the looks with wood cups? Or does it change the sound enough to justify $200-$300? Thoughts from owners please.

For what it's worth, I have the full magnums, with all aluminum, and would never consider changing. Not sure what you have, but Aluminum sure sounds sweet. I question what liberating 325is drivers and putting them in inners would sound like.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2,391 of 8,987
I would love to a/b some aluminum vs wood vs plastic some day. Anyone want to lend me some 325is?
biggrin.gif

When I think of material and how it relates to headphones and audio reproduction, I like to think of it in terms of a comparison between instruments that are made of similar materials. A flute / recorder is a good example, I feel.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #2,392 of 8,987
Bear in mind that this is mostly "for the sake of the argument": I have a set of SR-80s. If I re-cabled them, installed Magnum drivers, G-Cush pads, and wood cups, would I indeed have a set of RS1 grade phones?

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #2,393 of 8,987
Quote:
Bear in mind that this is mostly "for the sake of the argument": I have a set of SR-80s. If I re-cabled them, installed Magnum drivers, G-Cush pads, and wood cups, would I indeed have a set of RS1 grade phones?

Why do you need the SR-80s? There's nothing left but a headband!

And my guess is you would have something much, much nicer than an RS1

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #2,395 of 8,987
Quote:
Not true, I'd have the gimbals and the box 
smily_headphones1.gif
So technically it's possible to assemble a much nicer set of cans for around the same price point?

Gimbals are no joke! Kind of hard to have a set of cans without gimbals. They are kind of cruddy for a $100 set of gimbals, though... And don't get me started on the pizza box!

Now if only someone sold a "Grado" chassis ...

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,396 of 8,987
Quote:
Gimbals are no joke! Kind of hard to have a set of cans without gimbals. They are kind of cruddy for a $100 set of gimbals, though... And don't get me started on the pizza box!

Willmax used to  - not sure if he still does.  It was a non-swivel headband assembly

His profile here in case you want to pm him (http://www.head-fi.org/u/168351/willmax)

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2,398 of 8,987
Quote:

That's why others buy the headband for the Sony headphones.  The cost is about $20 + $10 (shipping).  The gimbal spread is about 1/4" more than the standard Grado cup diameter.  If one has a heat gun, and on the inside of the gimbal, applies some heat so that the yoke can be pressed together, one can have a great fitting head band.  The standard hole size in the cups has to be enlarged slightly.  Plus, the Sony headband has the words "Studio Monitor" on the headband.  All it takes is a small amount of acetone to clean that off.  Finally, the vinyl headband that is included with the Sony part, is quite comfortable and may negate the need to opt for a better leather band when using the Grado head set.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2,399 of 8,987
Quote:
Just finished these last night. MS1's with modded cables and a custom lambskin headband which came out even better than I had hoped.

More pics and info here... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529735/custom-embossed-leather-headband

I'm wondering a couple of things. Would you mind revealing the brand of cabling you used for this project and the brand of sheathing? I'm thinking of recabling, and as a newbie I'm trying to absorb whatever I can. Also, I'm sure you've been asked, but have you thought of making/selling any more of this type of headband? Thanks in advance.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #2,400 of 8,987
Couple of questions. 
1) Will an O2 amp do good for a Grado with Magnum drivers or will it not help much?
2) Do I NEED a DAC? Or could I wait like a couple of months to get one after I get an O2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back