post your grado mods....
Jun 5, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #2,341 of 8,987
You are probably right, also by my math the cup is too narrow: the outside is 2 1/8" with a 1/8" wall, meaning the ID is probably around 1 7/8". It will need some thinning out by the driver. It's pretty darn close, but yes, it will need modification. I'm guessing the hole in the back fo the cup is around 1.5", this bearing cup is 1". I have grinder bits, and can probably do it pretty easily and $2 plus a little work beats the hell out of $100 Jaben cups!

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #2,342 of 8,987
Hi, I'm new hear. I've been reading a lot about how the wooden cups can be a big improvement.  I was wondering if you guys could give me your personal experiences. And is there a significant difference between the different types of wood (sound wise)? 

On another note, is there anywhere I can get the "slip-on" style ones for $50 or under? Or even the "full woody jackets"? I'm not bad at electronics, but I have no experience working with wood. Thanks in advance.

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2,343 of 8,987
Quote:
Hi, I'm new hear. I've been reading a lot about how the wooden cups can be a big improvement.  I was wondering if you guys could give me your personal experiences. And is there a significant difference between the different types of wood (sound wise)? 

On another note, is there anywhere I can get the "slip-on" style ones for $50 or under? Or even the "full woody jackets"? I'm not bad at electronics, but I have no experience working with wood. Thanks in advance.

Based on the amount of $50, and under - I really can't provide a recommendation.  Avoid the $29.95 wooden cups on eBay like the plague.  In all seriousness, to get a good (good sounding, great fitting) wooden cup for a Grado, you really have to pay somewhere in the range of $120 to $170.  Unfortunately, we don't have Cabillas as one who could locate "specials" around these parts anymore and where one could get a nice pair of finished cups for under $70 (shipped).  Also, wood types can vary the sound a bit.  However, again, when you seek out a pair for under $50, you can't desire the species of woods that would really matter because someone might spend just that amount on the wood (materials) alone and that does not include any lathe time or time to finish off the cups.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2,344 of 8,987
Hi, i am currently making my own cups, I am also making the cable detachable, but I dislike the 3.5mm ports, would it be ok for me to use RCA jacks on the cup. I suppose I would really like to know if it would effect the sound in a negative way whatsoever.  Thanks for any suggestions 
gs1000.gif

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #2,345 of 8,987
Quote:
Hi, i am currently making my own cups, I am also making the cable detachable, but I dislike the 3.5mm ports, would it be ok for me to use RCA jacks on the cup. I suppose I would really like to know if it would effect the sound in a negative way whatsoever.  Thanks for any suggestions 
gs1000.gif

Why not opt for the connectors like  HifiMAN or Audeze uses?  They are gold-plated, screw-on and really work well.  I have a feeling that the RCA connectors will easily pull off, unless you find some tighter-fitting RCA connectors.

The golden connectors (male portion) for the HifiMAN cable style can be purchased from DoubleHelixCables for about $12.00 for the pair.  I'm not sure where to locate the female portion, though.  I'd seriously go this route over the 3.5mm and the RCA option, though.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #2,346 of 8,987
Quote:

Why not opt for the connectors like  HifiMAN or Audeze uses?  They are gold-plated, screw-on and really work well.  I have a feeling that the RCA connectors will easily pull off, unless you find some tighter-fitting RCA connectors.

The golden connectors (male portion) for the HifiMAN cable style can be purchased from DoubleHelixCables for about $12.00 for the pair.  I'm not sure where to locate the female portion, though.  I'd seriously go this route over the 3.5mm and the RCA option, though.

So I had a look around and it looks like the HifiMAN connectors would be impossible to find, but I didn't realize that Audeze used mini XLR connectors, I did have a look at those a while back, but I couldn't find any nice looking connectors for my build.   I just thought about the RCA situation, and I realize that I have some RCA cables that tighten onto the ports, that would solve the pulling off problem, regarding sound quality, did you think it would be ok? (ps: I have some super high quality cryo treated connectors, thats why I am considering them in my build)

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #2,347 of 8,987
Quote:
So I had a look around and it looks like the HifiMAN connectors would be impossible to find, but I didn't realize that Audeze used mini XLR connectors, I did have a look at those a while back, but I couldn't find any nice looking connectors for my build.   I just thought about the RCA situation, and I realize that I have some RCA cables that tighten onto the ports, that would solve the pulling off problem, regarding sound quality, did you think it would be ok? (ps: I have some super high quality cryo treated connectors, thats why I am considering them in my build)

The male HifiMAN connectors are easy to find.  Both Head-Direct and Double Helix Cables sells them for about $12.00 a pair.  The real issue is finding the female end to install in the Grado cups.  I'm sure they exist and are available - it's just a matter of finding the right source.

However, your option of using your higher-end connectors also seems viable.  Keep in mind that you'll want to have plenty on hand if you intend to make a various collection of cables to use with your Grados.

Enjoy!

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2,348 of 8,987
I have been using 2.5mm mono connectors at the cups for my modded SR60, and will be using them for my new V3 Magnums as well.  They work quite well, connects securely, and are extremely easy and cheap to procure.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #2,349 of 8,987
Quote:
I have been using 2.5mm mono connectors at the cups for my modded SR60, and will be using them for my new V3 Magnums as well.  They work quite well, connects securely, and are extremely easy and cheap to procure.

SEE, I did consider those, but my only real concern now is quality over anything meaning sound quality and construction, these things have to be solid and even better if I can solder them to the frame of the cups so if I yank my headphones, no damage can occur, well, unless I throw them across the room 
blink.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #2,350 of 8,987
I didn't find sound quality to be much of an issue with mono plugs.  Most decent plugs off of any electronics store is good enough.

As for build quality and construction, most of them has a nut and screw system, and it would be almost impossible to pull the female plugs loose from the cups, you would be using pliers and break the cups before you can reasonably get most of those female plugs off.

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #2,355 of 8,987
Quote:
Just bought some shaft collars for my SR325's from ebay-hope these are the correct ones to get
redface.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DU-BRO-1-8-Plated-Brass-Dura-Collars-Parts-4-DUB139-/230649147648

1/8" should be the right size... Those look nice, I think I'll get some too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back