post your grado mods....
Mar 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #2,119 of 8,987
Mine are almost there
I broke up the gimbal (the right one)...
Got some electrical tape holding it together 
biggrin.gif

Hopefully Mr. Grado will be willing to replace them for me.

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #2,120 of 8,987

Quote:
Just got an SR80, and is thinking of modding them.  Already quarter modded the sennheiser 414 pads.  The sound is clearer, but the comfort left a lot to be desired.

I found these on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Leather-Ear-Cushion-Pads-AKG-K-26P-K-414P-K26P-K414P-K-26-P-K414-P-Headphone-/180841097459?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2a1af828f3#ht_4445wt_993

The outer diameter is 52mm, and the inner diameter is 50mm.  I believe the Grado SR80s are about 58mm outside diameter, so it would be a real stretch to put them in, but has anybody tried?  I figured I could stretch these out a little.

Thinking of damping these with dynamat and some silverstone phones.  Probably not going to recable these, as that mod is quite expensive, and I have never had good experiences changing out cables.

I didn't quite re-cable mine, just put plugs on both ends and put nylon coating around it. Cost about 8 dollars and looks nice, but a pain in the ass for sure (since I've never tried it before)

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #2,121 of 8,987
LAWL. what an ugly pair of headphones

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #2,123 of 8,987
Time to definitely buy a pair of new cans my friend. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #2,124 of 8,987
 These should be the head-fi poster child.  Those are righteous.
Quote:

Behold the ultimate modded SR60, over 10 years of mods have gone into this!  

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #2,125 of 8,987
My new pair of the 325i's! That's right these are the "i" version, I upgraded the drivers to the latest design, installed an 8 conductor cable, poked two hole in the rear and added some dynamat for good measure. 

This is why I love the Grado brand, great headphones that anyone can take and make into something unique and exactly what they want. Imho the best headphone brand out there, maybe not the best sounding but still the greatest!

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2,127 of 8,987
what's the point of an 8 conductor cable? i just used a 4. and what kind is that?  i almost wish i just had did what you did and ran my cable into the cup for the single ear mod but I made a cable on both sides, neutrik plugs - works just as well. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2,129 of 8,987
I used the UHPCL cable that grado uses on the stock cans because well, Grado cables are already pretty darn good. I believe the point of the 8 conductor is to decrease the resistance. After putting that cable on I could hear a big difference in bass and treble response so I would recommend getting that if you can. I was going to use two neutrik plugs for a connection but i decided to keep the cost down and just hardwire the drivers. ( it is kinda a b*#@% getting a cable to run through the thick headband)  

Think you could post a pic of your setup? I love seeing what others do and yours sounds pretty nice

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #2,130 of 8,987

Quote:
what's the point of an 8 conductor cable? i just used a 4. and what kind is that?  i almost wish i just had did what you did and ran my cable into the cup for the single ear mod but I made a cable on both sides, neutrik plugs - works just as well. 

I don't know about all the different models, but my RS2i which is meant to have the 'ultra mega super awesome' oxygen free pure copper is actually just 8 conductors of stock cable. Looking through the ventilation grills the cables look identical to the stock SR60i cables, but instead of just 1 for each channel, there are two. As previously mentioned, this in theory should decrease resistance and therefore improve sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back