post your grado mods....
Mar 16, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #2,102 of 8,987
If you want to know how to do a detachable cable mod, I've already done that and made a tutorial on page 127 of THIS thread, so just go back a few pages and have a look.

Also I previously posted about what colours to connect to where and completely messed up the colours :) it's actually WHITE to RIGHT, RED to LEFT and two BLUE wires to GROUND.

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #2,103 of 8,987
well my friend that is EXACTLY what I needed,

thanks so much.

I've already disasembled the Y and freed the cables. Just waiting to get my nylon shielding and braid the cables, and need my 3.5 mount (should be here today)

pretty excited, first time i've done something like this. been practicing soldering all week so hopefully it goes alright

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #2,105 of 8,987

Quote:
well i got the 3.5 all connected
sounds wonderful
only problem is that I cant for the life of me get the neutrik cable to screw into where it's supposed to screw into... the damn nylon stuff gets in the way

I had the exact problem. I finally got it to stay there (and not get twisted up when I screwed it on), and then the nylon slipped out. I just decided to heatshrink the entire plug.

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #2,106 of 8,987

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
I wash the earpads regularly. A little shampoo – squish – squish – squish – rinse – rinse – rinse - dry.

Kinda basic, kinda simple but it’s important to do. Flat Pads ain’t cheap after all and this is supposed to keep the at their best. Works for all Grado pads.

Mitch

which shampoo would you recomend? Im looking for the highest quality shampoo. how does it sound after the treatment?

Oh man this is one of the most hilarious posts I've ever read. What a tool. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #2,107 of 8,987

Quote:
Your english is perfect as far as I can tell. 
If it's available Mogami 2534 is a great copper cable, and it's cheap too. Although, I don't think there is any detectable sonic difference between it and Grado's cable. But who knows you may think different.

Mogami is fairly neutral, but slightly warmer than the stock cable. Seems to have very slightly forward mids.
Canare is even warmer and seems to mess with the sound clarity and seems to add in some mid-bass, more forward mids and rolls off the treble.

Canare on the SR-325i would be amazing. I think..

For better sub-bass try DH in bulk. It would probably be bad for a Grado..maybe. I only like it on Sennheiser headphones. Perfect match for the HD-600. Seems to give my HD-600 more forward upper mids.

Belden 1192A would turn every Grado into a detail monster, but it's focus is on mids and treble. Seems to do something with the soundstage. Sounds close to the stock Grado cable of the SR-225i.
Very fatiguing on the HD-598. Wonder why?

CA-0363 wire or Mogami Starquad is what I suggest. Not worth experimenting.

BTW I know you all know this by now, but if you need Dynamat try the "Quick Roof" at Home Depot. It's $16 for a lifetime supply! Be careful it's hard to remove.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #2,110 of 8,987

Quote:
I didn't wanna say anything since this is an "audiophile" website but I also laughed very hard when I read that

It's no joke. 100% true that if you get the Shampoo for split ends it reduces the harsh treble.
I suggest shampoo with tea tree oil found at any Salon. Costs about $50 for a 60oz bottle.

Also, be absolutely sure to rinse, dry and repeat (if necessary).

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2,111 of 8,987

Quote:

It's no joke. 100% true that if you get the Shampoo for split ends it reduces the harsh treble.
I suggest shampoo with tea tree oil found at any Salon. Costs about $50 for a 60oz bottle.

Also, be absolutely sure to rinse, dry and repeat (if necessary).

What?! That's absolutely ridiculous. How could your inexperienced hands dare try to touch such delicate little pads? I take my Grado comfy pads to the finest hair dresser around. His name is Zohan, he claims to be half-Australian and half Mount-Everest and he gives them the most delicate yet thorough wash imaginable. It completely eliminates all the harsh treble and and improves bass extension while the special oils and essences he uses really makes for a lush midrange with nice clear vocals.

Now my Grado SR60 sounds just as good as a Grado RS-1! It was totally worth the $250 I paid because now I have a Grado RS-1 for the price of only $310! I recommend this to any audiophile who wants to be taken seriously. After all, money is no object when striving for the best sound!

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #2,113 of 8,987
I'd also like some Dynamat, if anyone could please give me some I'd be happy. I'd pay for postage if you wanted.

As far as getting the nylon onto the Neutrik cable I have a mini-guide:

Make sure the nylon is long and get it all setup over the cable. Put electrical tape over the wired end of the cable so the wires aren't poking out. Slide the nylon over the wires about 3 inches. Burn the ends of the nylon and slide it through the Neutrik plug. This takes some patience, a flashlight and pliers can be helpful to pull it through. Once it's through, slide the cylindrical neutrik cover to about a foot down the nylon so it doesn't slide off. Pull the wires back out. Take the electrical tape off and make sure they're tinned nicely with solder. Rest the cables at the bottom (not under it) of the neutrik jack and solder them on the insides (very important), this is where a good pre-tinning comes into play. I didnt use any extra solder. Then crimp it and slide the black bit over the wires and it should screw on effortlessly.

Quite a pain but hopefully this helps someone. I ruined one Neutrik jack because I couldnt get the thing to screw on with the nylon in place. If anybody needs a good source check out Dale Pro Audio, they're 1.35 shipped.

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #2,114 of 8,987
So anyway, finished my nylon-recabling and single jack mod.

What a pain in the ass 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2,115 of 8,987
Just got an SR80, and is thinking of modding them.  Already quarter modded the sennheiser 414 pads.  The sound is clearer, but the comfort left a lot to be desired.

I found these on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Leather-Ear-Cushion-Pads-AKG-K-26P-K-414P-K26P-K414P-K-26-P-K414-P-Headphone-/180841097459?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2a1af828f3#ht_4445wt_993

The outer diameter is 52mm, and the inner diameter is 50mm.  I believe the Grado SR80s are about 58mm outside diameter, so it would be a real stretch to put them in, but has anybody tried?  I figured I could stretch these out a little.

Thinking of damping these with dynamat and some silverstone phones.  Probably not going to recable these, as that mod is quite expensive, and I have never had good experiences changing out cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back