post your grado mods....
Oct 7, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #1,246 of 8,987
Hello all

After being inspired by 80 pages I decided to turn a set of new wooden cups for my Grado 80.

First attempt almost done :

Will post the complete mod when assembled

Jacob

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #1,247 of 8,987
Great craftsmanship!

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #1,250 of 8,987
I just came across a set of different aluminium/teak housings for SR60-80 and SR225-325 (higher, I have no idea) from a cable manufacturer here in Korea. I get to borrow a set of 125's tonight so burn its sound into my head before setting up for tomorrow's hoe-down with the different cups. Don't have a sound proof room, but might test the output to see if any differences are detectable.

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #1,251 of 8,987
Did some aesthetic work on my beloved SR325is - now it looks like a different beast altogether
smily_headphones1.gif

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

Image 4:

Why does it remind me so much of a rare Joe Grado model? Who am I kidding?
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #1,252 of 8,987
If I still had my SR225i I'd take pictures of my mod. Using the stock bowl pads I discovered the usual complaints about the sound: shrill, fatiguing, sibilant. After putting up with it for a week, it occurred to me to take good 'ole two-ply toilet paper and make filters to slip under the bowls. The difference was amazing. Here's the rundown:

Pros:

-Dampens and evens out peaky upper mids/lower treble

-Dramatically reduces listening fatigue

-Slightly increases isolation

-Eliminates sibilance

Cons:

-Slight loss of airiness/open quality

-Slight loss in bass impact

-Already weak upper treble extension is further dampened (cymbals sound kinda tizzy and faint)

-You'll be obsessively-compulsively straightening the plies for all of eternity (or until you ditch your Grados)

Overall I was looking for an all arounder and the SR225i didn't cut it for me. I wasn't a fan of the sonic coloration or the comfort. But I thought I'd share this little nugget of wisdom, as it's an easy, reversible mod that requires even less investment (if you don't have TP, I'm sorry for you) than related methods involving felt or foam or something similar. If I ever visit Gradoland again, if my model has bowls I'll be sure to use my mod.

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #1,253 of 8,987
Hello everybody, I wanna share some pics of my 325s with Calico Woodied cups, distancer and GS1000 bowls :wink:

Compared to MS2i..

Much larger too

Anyway, if I had any doubt about never taking them to use anywhere outside my apartment it is gone for good!  lol Those are ridiculous when wearing, although I gotta admit I love the look of it.

Cheers

Tulio

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #1,254 of 8,987
Almost forgot about this thread...

Here's a nickphiled MS1K I buit for EddiE

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #1,256 of 8,987
Nope, that's wood grain (a knot) in the spalted beech.
smile.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #1,258 of 8,987
Here's a scheme of the one I worked out together with EddieE. The body is shaped to be as short as possible though, so for "normal" GS1K-ish dimensions, you better choose >15 mm instead of the 13 mm that got applied here.

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #1,259 of 8,987
Your work is superb mate, its very cool that nobody has issues to post the schemes and help others!

And it's very pleasing to discover changes on the SQ while using different type of woods or chamber sizes too :)

I love the look of the Grados, even more when they have woodied cups..
My girfriend hates the woodied cups and says that it makes the HP look like an old house door handle. She prefers the ms2i or PS1000 (which I don't have :p) look..Funny thing she doesnt stop using my modded 325is.. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back