post your grado mods....
Sep 30, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #1,232 of 8,987
...and you gotta use completely differents pads. There is no way using open-can-pads on a closed one, and vice versa.

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #1,233 of 8,987
I think with the jumbo pads lined with some thicker material it could work. I also think the chamber itself would probably need to be bigger.... it'd be pretty much changing everything but the driver, but I still think one day someone will crack it.

The challenge is set...
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #1,234 of 8,987
I know it should work. I modded my Koss KSC75 to a closed version once and it sounded very good actually. In that case I simply put the drivers in some hearing protectors. It had some nice foam in there already which worked great with the drivers. As soon as I took the foam out the sound became crappy so it's all a case of proper damping.

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #1,236 of 8,987
If anyone wants to try it I have a Koss Pro DJ 100 shell I'm going to throw in the trash. I was messing with it and ended up blowing the driver somehow when I accidentally cut the cable. I spent about...well, all night trying to repair it and I could only get sound out the left speaker. An SR-60 or SR-80 driver fits inside it perfectly.

The reason I thought a closed SR-80/60 might work is that the DJ 100 uses what looks like almost the same driver and still manages to sound good.

So now i'll have to buy a new PRo DJ 100. This is stupid and it's a dumb mistake on my part. Right when I found a way to get more bass out of them easily. Oh well. Maybe Best Buy will have the $50 sale again. I'm going to buy another pair since I actually missed them for a whole 3 days.

I bought silver cable for them, since that didn't work out I used it on my... KSC75. Wow, it's bright now. Total change and I don't know if I like it. Reminded me of the DT-880. The soundstage seem to enlarge itself however that's possible and now it seems like there's more bass.

Oh yeah and it's inside the Porta Pro headband/casing. The cable is super annoying and I might as well be hauling around coat hangers turned into a cable. I hear it everytime it moves around. Part of the problem is that I don't have it sleeved yet.

KSC75 cable replacement is stupid easy and almost requires no effort. The only hard part is connecting the new plug. This is coming from someone who only learned how to solder something just tonight.

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #1,238 of 8,987

Quote:
making it a closed can wouldnt work if we just cover the grill with something substantial? 

edit:
@nickchen: why cant we use the same pads for open / closed hps? i thought they are just pads? :S

If you cover with your hands and listen you'll figure out that first question.

Pads affect headphones a ton, it's counter intuitive, but they really make HUGE differences.

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #1,239 of 8,987

Quote:
If you cover with your hands and listen you'll figure out that first question.

Pads affect headphones a ton, it's counter intuitive, but they really make HUGE differences.

problem is i'm a pennyless lurker just trying to make sense of all these in my head lol. so well..... could you sorta elaborate on how it would sound if you cover with your hands? please?
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #1,241 of 8,987
Quote:

problem is i'm a pennyless lurker just trying to make sense of all these in my head lol. so well..... could you sorta elaborate on how it would sound if you cover with your hands? please?
tongue.gif

It depends on who you ask, but feel free to take your pick from dreadful, horrible and absolutely atrocious. If covering the metal grills on a pair of Grados was a good idea Grado would be selling a closed model.

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #1,244 of 8,987

Quote:
I cut strips of electrical bundling tape, and put it on an older set of bowls.

I also carefully cut them to length to give just the right amount of low end punch, and a tad less bright. They sounded amazing when I auditioned them, and they sound even better now. I love the Grado design, meant so that they can be easily hand assembled. Even the ones made overseas still has that legacy in how many things you can do to them.

IF there is a way for me to use the old 325 barrels, I will find it, I like the classic look. I am angered that it is so hard to remove the headband from the gimbles because I want to put the actual leather band from the old ones on hrere, rather than this vinyl, however, I am not worried about any flaking, I can say that much!

If I do open them up, what character does poking the felt screen holes bring? I can practice on an older broken grado driver, but I need to know that this warrranty voider will give me positive results, and not accent more flaws.

Electric bundling tape as in scotch 2000? how sticky does it compare to regular ole black electric tape? Im going to see if I can get aluminum foil tape
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back