post your grado mods....
Sep 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #1,216 of 8,987
A few more of my grado cups that I sell on my website....

Purpleheart

Tasmanian Rose Myrtle

Jarrah Burl

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #1,218 of 8,987
Thanks Bilavideo !

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #1,220 of 8,987

Quote:
Hey I was wondering where did you learn to work with wood. I think that this is something I would like to learn eventually. 

I think the first place I learned to use the lathe and other tools was in woodshop class while I was in school.

The cool thing about the lathe in particular is that the learning curve is only moderate in difficulty. Although more experience results in better project turnout (I'm still learning and getting better).

Making things like grado cups is a more little difficult and takes a lot of careful precision and special tools but it's sure fun to do.

All you need to work with a Lathe is a little help from an instructional DVD or even youtube videos and anyone can use one.

If I were you I'd go check out a few Youtube videos of people using the lathe and see if it's for you. Look for a user named HaydenHD, he makes a lot of fun hobby like projects.

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #1,221 of 8,987

Quote:
I think the first place I learned to use the lathe and other tools was in woodshop class while I was in school.

The cool thing about the lathe in particular is that the learning curve is only moderate in difficulty. Although more experience results in better project turnout (I'm still learning and getting better).

Making things like grado cups is a more little difficult and takes a lot of careful precision and special tools but it's sure fun to do.

All you need to work with a Lathe is a little help from an instructional DVD or even youtube videos and anyone can use one.

If I were you I'd go check out a few Youtube videos of people using the lathe and see if it's for you. Look for a user named HaydenHD, he makes a lot of fun hobby like projects.

Thanks! Will do.

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #1,223 of 8,987

Quote:

***Uploads to Photbucket*** 
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #1,226 of 8,987
Wouldn't recommend a single sided cable (unless it's an earbud thingy) on a Gradessandro. As they are very light and sit rather loose on the head, they always tend to slip off to the cable side, and if you increase headband clamp, the comfort is just awful.

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #1,227 of 8,987
I know this might sound crazy, but has anyone experimented with a closed Grado? I think it wouldn't sound as bad as you'd think.

What's funny is that I thinking of taking my Grado SR-80 driver and putting it into the shell of my Koss Pro DJ 100 to see how it sounds.
It'd be a perfect fit and the drivers are almost exactly the same. It's the only "shell" I can think of that'd work with the SR-80 driver.

A closed and (more) comfortable SR-80 would be kind of neat.

When I did my Grado SR-80 mod with the felt I found that something I did seemed to "tame" the harsh (to me) highs. This is good for me since I can now listen to them for hours.

I removed the SR-80 button and removed part of the grill/grating. Maybe this has something to do with it or it's just the felt.

I also experimented with covering up 4 of the holes I made (that were too much) with a thicker material. Now I have 6 total holes instead of 10.

The felt I used around the edge is also very thick, but doesn't cover any of the holes I opened.

BTW I got my new silver cable in to recable my broken Pro DJ 100. I was hoping i'd have some left over to do the SR-80, but I was surprised how little there was in the bag.

At this point I'm worried i'll screw something up. Never recabled anything before or even soldered more then 1 thing in my entire life! I also get to try to get that cable in and around the headband to the other side. Probably may be a pain.

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #1,228 of 8,987
Put your hand over the vent on your grado's. Tell me how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back