post your grado mods....
Sep 5, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #826 of 8,987
here's my SR80 with wood cups!
beyersmile.png

e0lb0g.jpg

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #828 of 8,987
Just got this a few days ago. Loving it. I put a piece of foam i had laying around onto the headband for a little added comfort at 0 cost.
alessandrozune.jpg

I'm looking to making MS-1000i's eventually. Probably making the distancers at my school's woodshop. Also looking to replace the mesh with something. How much do those cost at Home Depot? Does it really make a difference in sound?

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #829 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's some sweet looking metal work there bass nuts. Looks light yet sturdy.

i was surprised to observe that SQ on modified/matalized sr225 was very near that of my sr325iS ..maybe because a DIY buddy used very good quality aluminum material ?... his worksmanship quite admirable as per my taste
smile_phones.gif

another DIY buddy is on with a woody project... he uses Philippine Iron wood (Magkuno) .. we are awaiting for some listening impressions when these become available to some of us
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #831 of 8,987
My SR60i, woodied and blu tacked, but blu tack didn't seem to change anything, the cups do give more oomph, more impact to the bass though. I find the change in sq to be quite pleasing, it also makes the headphones look more classy.;D

08292009094.jpg

08282009079.jpg

Sorry for the bad cam pics. Don't have any other cam with me right now.

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #834 of 8,987
Thanks guys. Quality hard wood indeed, but sadly, it can't be appreciated too much due to the bad cam quality. I'm on the process of making 2 more pairs. 1 is for myself. I would borrow a nice cam once it's done.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #835 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks!! that helps, i think i will research some more about the rs1i before selling these

Thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

How much did the Headphiled 225s run you?

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #836 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. Quality hard wood indeed, but sadly, it can't be appreciated too much due to the bad cam quality. I'm on the process of making 2 more pairs. 1 is for myself. I would borrow a nice cam once it's done.
smily_headphones1.gif

oh...2 more pairs to be made. will you follow the shape & measurement of your prototype/or the first cups ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ferds Grado sr225 with metal (aluminum) cups and Senn HD 414 Pads
2eevc6g.jpg

nice shot!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #838 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cups do give more oomph, more impact to the bass though. I find the change in sq to be quite pleasing

Excuse me for being so sceptical, but that is either psychoacoustics or marketing (or a mixture of both).

I have modded & sold approx. a dozen Gradessandros, and NoXter & me did many systematical tests with different housings (including no housing at all), that stuff is just boutique hifi IMO. I regard praising it for reputed better SQ as dishonourable, although that might helps increasing interest and sales.

Sep 5, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #839 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by voltraizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh...2 more pairs to be made. will you follow the shape & measurement of your prototype/or the first cups ?

nice shot!
smily_headphones1.gif

For 1, I'll follow the exact same thing as my prototype, for my own cups, It's different, still deciding whether to go with the SR series, Gs1k, Ps1k or HF2. Hehe

Sep 5, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #840 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse me for being so sceptical, but that is either psychoacoustics or marketing (or a mixture of both).

I have modded & sold approx. a dozen Gradessandros, and NoXter & me did many systematical tests with different housings (including no housing at all), that stuff is just boutique hifi IMO. I regard praising it for reputed better SQ as dishonourable, although that might helps increasing interest and sales.

Hmmm... For me, it does, coming from the plastic and now using the Hardwood, as well as having a longer chamber, it does change the SQ a bit, it's a different material after all, therefore there might be some changes in the SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back