post your grado mods....
Apr 4, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #8,806 of 8,987
Found my old woody cup 225s in the attic and did some additional mods. New foam pads, blue tack on the drivers, a couple of holes on the mesh and felt pads behind the SR225 badge. Thinking about changing the cable, enjoying it first so far. Nowhere near the TOTL cans but still fun and convenient to use. Wood is local hardwood we call Kamagong.

Nice! Can you explain what's going on here? Are the sr225 plastic cups still in place? Or is it only the face of the plastic cup in the wood?
I'm a bit confused. Lol

More pictures please!

Apr 4, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #8,807 of 8,987
Only the face of the plastic cups were retained. The new housing is all wood.
363385335.jpg

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #8,808 of 8,987
Hi,

any idea how to remove the driver from the cup? Will heat work?

Unfortunately the glue holding the drivers in the sleeves doesn't give with a hair dryer. There are two options:

1. place a block of wood the diameter of the driver over the white linen side, and use a wood clamp to slowly force the driver out the back end of the sleeve. Be sure to use an exacto/scalpel to cut away the little plastic nubs behind the driver on the inner wall of the sleeve before doing this. Do not put the jaw of the clamp that isn't on the wood on the back of the driver. Put it on the wall of the sleeve.

2. Use a hacksaw to make a thin cut through the wall of the sleeve, making sure not to cut the driver at all, and then using pliers to carefully pull off the sleeve.

I use option 2, as quite frankly I am a big ninny, and option 1 scares me.
redface.gif
answer found :)

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #8,810 of 8,987
I saw this tip in an earlier post in this thread, so this isn't my idea, but I decided to check it out since I'm going to need sleeves for my new project.

So: If you need sleeves for your Grado drivers, these end caps for 50mm drain pipe fit PERFECTLY.
IMG_7087.jpg

Same outside diameter and lip dimensions, and the logo cap fits snugly. All that's needed is to open up the closed end and drill a couple of holes for the cable and gimbal. And they're dirt cheap so you can buy a bunch and experiment with different "tube" lengths.

IMG_7085.jpg

May 21, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #8,811 of 8,987
I saw this tip in an earlier post in this thread, so this isn't my idea, but I decided to check it out since I'm going to need sleeves for my new project.

So: If you need sleeves for your Grado drivers, these end caps for 50mm drain pipe fit PERFECTLY.
IMG_7087.jpg
Same outside diameter and lip dimensions, and the logo cap fits snugly. All that's needed is to open up the closed end and drill a couple of holes for the cable and gimbal. And they're dirt cheap so you can buy a bunch and experiment with different "tube" lengths.

IMG_7085.jpg

Nice...I often get folks looking for wooden sleeves, but not really wanting them, jut needing to replace their plastic inner sleeves. This is a great option. I don't recall seeing it in all my lurking here...did you pick them up at a local big-box hardware store?

May 21, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #8,813 of 8,987
Has anyone tried any drivers from earphonediylabs in their Grados? I have the SR60 replacement drivers and Allesandro-style wood cups on order, but they also have some "Original Grado" drivers in the shop, like the PS1000, GS2000 and Hemp. I’m not sure if I’ll receive the Nhoords I ordered, so I’m tentatively looking for some other options...

May 21, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #8,814 of 8,987
Has anyone tried any drivers from earphonediylabs in their Grados? I have the SR60 replacement drivers and Allesandro-style wood cups on order, but they also have some "Original Grado" drivers in the shop, like the PS1000, GS2000 and Hemp. I’m not sure if I’ll receive the Nhoords I ordered, so I’m tentatively looking for some other options...
I'm sad to see that Nhoord has been so flaky lately as their drivers are truly incredible and affordable. No experience with the earphoneDIYlabs drivers unfortunately, but some popular aftermarket drivers other than nhoord are:
https://www.symphones.com/shop/v9
https://www.ellevenacoustica.com/products
https://turbulentlabs.com/shop/turbulent-x-driver/

I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

May 31, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #8,816 of 8,987
Got my order from earphonediylabs today.
1BD79386-AC3E-489D-AA78-A9E66C443560.jpeg
The mahogany cups do look pretty good, one of them is mounted upside down in the gimbal, but that can be fixed easily. Gimbals are black stainless steel and seem very sturdy. Headband is their cheaper model, some kind of faux leather material, but a lot nicer than the stock plastic SR60. The drivers are the SR60/80/MS replacements so not the most expensive ones, hope they sound good. I might spring for a set of hemp drivers eventually. I also got an extra set of small earpads which was a nice surprise.

It’ll probably be a couple of days until I can assemble this, looking forward to it :)

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #8,817 of 8,987
C1D8FCAC-51ED-4542-85FE-1B3A4352EE94.jpeg
And done! More of a kit build than a modification, but the driver sleeves are Grado at least 😄 I made the cable myself, 4-way braided Cat5, using 4 cores per channel, with a Neutrik jack. The cores are stranded so it’s a lot more flexible than the solid core stuff.
I guess the drivers will settle down after some hours, but first impressions are pretty good.

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #8,820 of 8,987
F92F674E-C419-48D0-8C84-AD1737C0627E.jpeg
A couple of MMCX cables showed up in the mail today so I installed connectors on the headphones. I got a bag of 10 connectors with wires pre-soldered from Aliexpress so it was an easy install, I’ll put them on my Beyers too.
I had to cut the gimbals so they would tilt enough for my head, there’s a little cleanup to be done there :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back