post your grado mods....
Oct 7, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #8,687 of 8,987
@ilmothedude what mmcx cinnector did you use? I've been thinking about converting my sr325e s to mmcx but I can't seem to find a trustworthy pair.
While not directed at me I've used MMCX connectors in the past and over time they are quite unreliable in my experience. Originally got them for my SRH-1840 but tried them on a 3D printed set of cups w/ Nhoord Red V2 drivers and while the cable worked for a few months after that the connection was always cutting out so after replacing the MMCX connectors 2 more times and only getting a few months of use I've changed over to SMC jacks which to me have been able to last for 5 years so far. The MMCX connectors seem to be great for IEMs since the cables are quite thin and light so there is much less strain on the connection.

Oct 7, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #8,689 of 8,987
@DavidA thanks for the reply, I have a pair of Shures and I was thinking I could just use the same cable for both.

I've also looked into SMC connectors and all the ones I can find are for panels. Do you know where to get ones good for Grado's?
For the cups I use panel mount jacks from Vetco, a bit on the pricy side but well made. If you look on ebay don't get those with a removeable center pin since they are hard to work with and like the MMCX center pin they tend to get lose over time.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #8,690 of 8,987
While not directed at me I've used MMCX connectors in the past and over time they are quite unreliable in my experience. Originally got them for my SRH-1840 but tried them on a 3D printed set of cups w/ Nhoord Red V2 drivers and while the cable worked for a few months after that the connection was always cutting out so after replacing the MMCX connectors 2 more times and only getting a few months of use I've changed over to SMC jacks which to me have been able to last for 5 years so far. The MMCX connectors seem to be great for IEMs since the cables are quite thin and light so there is much less strain on the connection.
Yeah, mmcx connector can be unreliable, but there's a way to fix them once signal cutting occurs. Now I don't really have much real life experience, but I assume that it's almost always center pin which becomes loose on connector side. One mmcx connector I installed on my Hifiman RE400 iem had this issue. I fixed it by manipulating center pin in connector. Center pin or more like center pin socket is made of two halves and pin in mmcx plug goes between those. I believe over the time those halves become more apart and gap between them becomes larger, that's the moment when signal cutting starts to occur. So solution is actually pretty simple: examine the direction of gap so you know the position of halves. That's very small so magnifying glass and good light can help. Once you know the direction of gap, you'll need some very tiny tool you can use to push the other half towards the other thus making gap smaller again. It must fit inside connector easily so you won't harm the connector. Pushing force should be very gentle as you don't want to bend whole socket part, but only the half you're pushing. So basically you don't feel actually bending it at all, it's so tiny movement. If connecting issues continue then use tiny drop of electronic contact cleaner. I took macro photo of mmcx connector of my Grado so you can see the idea what I described:

mmcx macro.jpg

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #8,691 of 8,987
Yeah, mmcx connector can be unreliable

Thanks, you nailed it. MMCX connectors can be troublesome in time indeed, but there's no rule with them. Some can work for years with no issues.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 8, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #8,692 of 8,987
Thanks, you nailed it. MMCX connectors can be troublesome in time indeed, but there's no rule with them. Some can work for years with no issues.
Yea, I have had Shure srh1440 since 2013 and never had any issues with its mmcx connectors. Then again brand new mmcx I installed had contact issue right away. But for me mmcx gained reliability when I figured the way to fix the contacting issue.

Oct 22, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #8,694 of 8,987
Are there any US-based companies doing really nice metal cups / driver sleeves?

Not that I know of. The best quality I have seen (and I don't think they make sleeves, but you can ask) was a few pairs of outer cups I had Elleven Acoustica make for some of my customers. If you're determined to get something based in the US, I would start looking at local engineering/fabrication shops. Some will take on small, one-off jobs, or be happy to make a small run for you at a reasonable price. I found a local guy who was willing to give it a go, but he never followed through despite much patience and persistence on my part, so I eventually let it go.

Nov 28, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #8,696 of 8,987
So my right side mmcx connector on my Grados started to cut off the signal, and no matter how much I tried to tighten the pin socket, cutting remained. I guess whole pin socket had somehow got pushed too deep inside mmcx connector and it couldn't reach the pin in plug. I decided to ditch the mmcx because no way I'd want to replace those mmcx connectors frequently, given that they're indeed that unreliable. So I replaced the mmcx connectors with standard 3.5mm plug socket. 3.5mm socket is very sturdy, snaps tightly in place and is most importantly very reliable, and some other headphones also use 3.5mm connectors so aftermarket cables are available, if I desired one. But as 3.5mm plugs are very common and easy to solder, it's easy to make my own cables aswell. I had to convert Grado stock cable into 3.5mm cable, and the Ourart mmcx cable I really didn't want to mess with so I made 3.5mm plug to mmcx female adapter so I can use also mmcx cables. Now my Grados feel so much more reliable and solid. :L3000:

Grado 3.5mm liitin.jpg
3.5mm socket

Grado stokki kaapeli.jpg Grado 3.5mm liitin adaperit.jpg
Stock Grado cable with 3.5mm plugs and Ourart mmcx cable with 3.5mm plug to mmxc female adapter.

Grado 3.5mm adapteri.jpg Grado 3.5mm adapteri avattu.jpg
3.5mm plug to mmcx female adapter. Mmcx goes slightly inside the plug metal housing, and it prevents the biggest wiggling motions of mmcx connector, so it perhaps and just perhaps will last longer. But that's not too big of a concern as it's just an adapter, and it was very quick one to make. Works great for now, and isn't too bulky either when attached to headphone. Ourart cable is so much lighter than Grado stock cable, and makes headphones feel considerably more comfy on the head.

Nov 28, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #8,697 of 8,987
So my right side mmcx connector on my Grados started to cut off the signal, and no matter how much I tried to tighten the pin socket, cutting remained. I guess whole pin socket had somehow got pushed too deep inside mmcx connector and it couldn't reach the pin in plug. I decided to ditch the mmcx because no way I'd want to replace those mmcx connectors frequently, given that they're indeed that unreliable. So I replaced the mmcx connectors with standard 3.5mm plug socket. 3.5mm socket is very sturdy, snaps tightly in place and is most importantly very reliable, and some other headphones also use 3.5mm connectors so aftermarket cables are available, if I desired one. But as 3.5mm plugs are very common and easy to solder, it's easy to make my own cables aswell. I had to convert Grado stock cable into 3.5mm cable, and the Ourart mmcx cable I really didn't want to mess with so I made 3.5mm plug to mmcx female adapter so I can use also mmcx cables. Now my Grados feel so much more reliable and solid. :L3000:

3.5mm socket

Stock Grado cable with 3.5mm plugs and Ourart mmcx cable with 3.5mm plug to mmxc female adapter.

3.5mm plug to mmcx female adapter. Mmcx goes slightly inside the plug metal housing, and it prevents the biggest wiggling motions of mmcx connector, so it perhaps and just perhaps will last longer. But that's not too big of a concern as it's just an adapter, and it was very quick one to make. Works great for now, and isn't too bulky either when attached to headphone. Ourart cable is so much lighter than Grado stock cable, and makes headphones feel considerably more comfy on the head.
How did you get the female 3.5mm connectors to stay in place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back