post your grado mods....
May 11, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #6,301 of 8,987

Well for once on headfi, I actually got what I wanted from user replies!

Anyhow, I already have your wooden african padouk pads to fill the magnum drivers in. In which Turbulent Labs has their own set of Vimeo videos to guide me through the whole way. https://vimeo.com/51110396

Thank you for your response, I'll definitely take the extra caution for installing these drivers now.

The look of these headphones are quite embarrassing when they're on my head actually. However I have a set of HE-400 earpads and I hope to glue a set of grado earpads to make them an over-ear headphone. Then I have another set to make them an on-ear portable headphone.

I'm actually hoping the headphone I'll assemble will sound better than my AKG Q701's. If they do, well then I will actually sell off half of my headphone inventory.

hmm a he-400 pads? which? the pleather or the velour one?

I liked my magnums best with L-Cush pads on them.

May 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #6,302 of 8,987
Had to share.

Not my work, from Clint at YewWoodWorks, but for me!

Cups and matching plug are Indian Rosewood, the 2 darker plugs are African Blackwood and will end up being used for my DT770s.

May 11, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #6,303 of 8,987
  i've got suggestion from stratocaster, to reduce the mid bass hump you can combine the grado pads with velour pad and do some internal damping to the headphone..

haven't tried it myself but some people actually said that the pleather pads won't fit the sound, tho you can try it if you're curious (and plus it is the matter of how you like it, not others)
tongue_smile.gif

As a matter of fact, just using velours will not do the trick. I tested lots of (p)leather and velour pads together with internal damping ... Only Beyerdynamic DT250 pads on top of a foam ring scavenged from a cut-up Grado L-cush sounded good, flattening out the frequency response.

May 11, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #6,304 of 8,987

As a matter of fact, just using velours will not do the trick. I tested lots of (p)leather and velour pads together with internal damping ... Only Beyerdynamic DT250 pads on top of a foam ring scavenged from a cut-up Grado L-cush sounded good, flattening out the frequency response.

yeah.. you'll need velour dt250 pads for that one...
  I liked my magnums best with L-Cush pads on them.

yeah, magnum actually sounded great with the grado l cush, plus you don't need to waste anymore money...

May 11, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #6,305 of 8,987
I personally liked the bass in the sr225, so if there's anymore I'll be glad to have it. Something about punchy bass in open-back headphones are really satisfying.

May 17, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #6,308 of 8,987
Those look really nice. Great job.

May 20, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #6,310 of 8,987
Hi gradophiles!

I've got an HF-1 #149 whose cables are giving up. I want to recable it with a shorter and lighter one to make it more portable. And I want to make them detachable with 3.5 mm jacks on each cup. Can somebody please share some experience & useful links..?

Any help is appreciated.

May 20, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #6,311 of 8,987
Guys I need new earpads for my SR125s, they're turning to dust on me. Are there any comfy velour options/mods that are an easy fit?
Also where is the best place to get the thickest and softest pleather/leather headband?
Cheers

May 21, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #6,312 of 8,987
  Guys I need new earpads for my SR125s, they're turning to dust on me. Are there any comfy velour options/mods that are an easy fit?
Also where is the best place to get the thickest and softest pleather/leather headband?
Cheers

If you're in the U.S., you might wanna give the Earzonk L-cush on Amazon a shot. They are not like the grado L-cush, but they are more comfortable (softer, not as scratchy IMO), they're $10 so very affordable.

As far as velour pads, check out the "Grado Modders go magnum thread", recent posts by member/Grado modder extraordinaire @stratocaster shows his pads are a combination of grado L-cush and beyer DT-250 pads together. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back