post your grado mods....
Feb 9, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #6,063 of 8,987
I got a soldering station in January, one of my new year resolutions was to learn how to solder. To be fair I "soldered" once before but it was an exothermic welding in a mold so it doesn't count (I used to work for a company that sell connectors for the electrical industry) Last night I decided to fix two "broken" headphones I had: the Magnum V4 drivers in Cocobolo cups and the headphones that made me join this community: my grado sr60i. (My ex cut the cable trying to get me mad but that is another story) I left the pieces in a corner and forget about them. 

Reminds me of a friend of mine in the train, where a guy was playing loud rap music over an open headphone. He asked him to turn down the volume twice, but the guy ignored him, so he took out his swiss army knife, selected the tiny scissors and cut the cable of the guy's headphone, to the applause of the rest of the train wagon....

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #6,065 of 8,987
Quote:
   (My ex cut the cable trying to get me mad but that is another story)

You know when your partner puts up with your headphone hobby/s***, then you KNOW they're the one 
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #6,066 of 8,987
My gf likes my Grado, but still she thinks they're ugly.

Guys where do I get cups specs for the SR60 (in fact SR40) drivers? Is there any cup shape that will turn these drivers into G-cush compatible?

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #6,067 of 8,987
I finally got my aluminum sleeves, and I have posted some photos and a little more info about the sleeves in the magnum thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum/3270#post_11308729

After 2 years, I finally got my project done.

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #6,069 of 8,987
  How does the sound differ from the plastic/aluminum driver housing?

It's tough to say, the last time I heard a magnum 4 (with wooden sleeves and aluminum cups) was at least 2 years ago.  But based strictly on memory, the sound is just crisper, cleaner and more detailed.  OTOH, I recalled those magnums being warm smooth, analogue sounding if you will. These are still nice and warm, but I just didn't think it was to that degree.  That said, I am not sure if it was because of me getting used to that sound (ESP-950 with Stax amp, some very nice IEMs).

I took the dive, and even if I am stuck with all these sleeves, I still think they are worth it.  These magnums sound phenomenal for the price it took me to build, and I am likely never going to get rid of them, because I am unlikely to find anything of this quality for this price.

Feb 10, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #6,070 of 8,987

It's tough to say, the last time I heard a magnum 4 (with wooden sleeves and aluminum cups) was at least 2 years ago.  But based strictly on memory, the sound is just crisper, cleaner and more detailed.  OTOH, I recalled those magnums being warm smooth, analogue sounding if you will. These are still nice and warm, but I just didn't think it was to that degree.  That said, I am not sure if it was because of me getting used to that sound (ESP-950 with Stax amp, some very nice IEMs).

I took the dive, and even if I am stuck with all these sleeves, I still think they are worth it.  These magnums sound phenomenal for the price it took me to build, and I am likely never going to get rid of them, because I am unlikely to find anything of this quality for this price.

Thanks for your impressions...enjoy!

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #6,074 of 8,987
Feb 11, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #6,075 of 8,987
Well I ordered a few parts for my Grado SR225i, @jeffrocc was nice enough to include aluminum gimbals and the J$ headband when I traded him for my full V-Moda M100 set.

However I ordered:
  1. Earzonk leatherette pads (which sound absolutely terrible by the way, if I intend to keep these pads; I'm going to have to make the grado a closed back headphone)
  2. Noble glow in the dark IEM cable
  3. African Padouk wood cups

The dang total cost more than the grado themselves... but I'm a huge fan of modding. Just not with the Fostex T50RP's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back