post your grado mods....
Dec 24, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #1,322 of 8,987
Same link I ordered mine from. Ordered on the 15th, got them today.

Quote:
Quote:
The shaft collars I picked up on Amazon for like $.64 each I think.  The exact size I used is: 1/8" ID, 3/8" OD with a 6-32 x 1/8 set screw. Here are a few pics....

A link for the lazy people out there. I'm ordering 12. http://www.amazon.com/Climax-Metal-C-012-BOX5-Collar-Plating/dp/B000P0Q9PK/ref=sr_1_7?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1293233853&sr=1-7

BAIL! Amazon says "Usually ships in 1 - 2 months."

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #1,323 of 8,987

Quote:
Same link I ordered mine from. Ordered on the 15th, got them today.

Quote:
Quote:
The shaft collars I picked up on Amazon for like $.64 each I think.  The exact size I used is: 1/8" ID, 3/8" OD with a 6-32 x 1/8 set screw. Here are a few pics....

A link for the lazy people out there. I'm ordering 12. http://www.amazon.com/Climax-Metal-C-012-BOX5-Collar-Plating/dp/B000P0Q9PK/ref=sr_1_7?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1293233853&sr=1-7

BAIL! Amazon says "Usually ships in 1 - 2 months."

I'll order a whole bunch then. Even if there is a 2 month wait time.

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #1,325 of 8,987
Go to Lowes or some other hardware outfit and buy the correct diameter of aluminum pipe.  Take it home and cut it, then sand it to remove the sharp edges.  You can immediately create two types of aluminum shell: the slip-on shell (aluminum over plastic) or the full aluminum shell (which requires the use of two pipes of different diameters and careful liberation of the driver from its plastic cage).

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #1,327 of 8,987
Aluminum has a higher velocity of sound than any wood.  You won't get the warmth of wood but you'll get an edgy, slamming presentation, somewhere between the SR325 and the famous PS1/HP1000 exotics.  It'll be heartier if you vent the drivers and start from aluminum, rather than simply using it as a slip-on material for the rear chamber.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #1,328 of 8,987
HOLY CLARITY BATMAN!!!!!

I finally busted my 325's apart, removed the plastic screen retaining ring, popped off the buttons, and torched off the glue (yeah, used a brulee torch...lol) and boy...the difference was pretty big. The clarity is through the roof and maybe a little better sound stage. What a great, free, easy mod...thanks Bill.

I looked at the driver...I wasn't sure what or where to poke the holes so I didn't do that mod yet...I'm going to enjoy this initial step first and then decide if I even need to do the holes.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #1,329 of 8,987

Quote:
HOLY CLARITY BATMAN!!!!!

I finally busted my 325's apart, removed the plastic screen retaining ring, popped off the buttons, and torched off the glue (yeah, used a brulee torch...lol) and boy...the difference was pretty big. The clarity is through the roof and maybe a little better sound stage. What a great, free, easy mod...thanks Bill.

I looked at the driver...I wasn't sure what or where to poke the holes so I didn't do that mod yet...I'm going to enjoy this first step first and then decide if I even need it.

I'm just going to say that every grado should have at least two holes poked through, IMO.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #1,330 of 8,987

Quote:
I'm just going to say that every grado should have at least two holes poked through, IMO.

Not every model. Stay away if you have a MS Pro, RS1 and RS2. Hardly accessable anyway.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #1,331 of 8,987
I am trying to locate Bilavideo's tutorial on doing the hole mod...no luck so far...if someone can link or explain it to me again...I'd appreciate it. 

Oh...and I am listening to some recording I have listened to many, many times....I am astonished at the new level of clarity. I am getting cold chills. Placebo...maybe...I don't care, I'll enjoy the effect as long as it lasts. I don't think this level of improvement is just in my head though. It's just hard to believe how much difference popping off a couple little plastic buttons and removing a plastic ring can be. It does take up a bit of room though in the cup so I guess the increased space really helps.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #1,332 of 8,987
pop holes where? and what do you mean plastic retaining ring? does sr60i has that?

Quote:
Quote:
HOLY CLARITY BATMAN!!!!!

I looked at the driver...I wasn't sure what or where to poke the holes so I didn't do that mod yet...I'm going to enjoy this first step first and then decide if I even need it.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #1,333 of 8,987
Not sure if the 60's have the ring. The two black plastic rings in the pic...they were located in the metal cup of my 325's. Imagine the cups flipped upside down and the rings inserted into the cup and glued in place pressing against the screens. That is where they are located and they seem to serve two purposes...one is to hold the screen in, and second, to act as a spacer and glue point for the sound chamber. After removing them it is easy to see that they are not needed to hold the screen in. As far as being needed as spacers...I don't think that is needed either but I guess it one were concerned they could cut the ring into pieces and replace a few of the pieces to act as a spacer but still leave most of the ring out of the cup. So far however I don't see the need for this.

Holes are punched around the driver...exactly where I am not sure...I am looking for an instructional post that I think Bilavideo had up recently that had some pics...I'll post a link when I find it.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #1,334 of 8,987

Not sure if the 60's have the ring. The two black plastic rings in the pic...they were located in the metal cup of my 325's. Imagine the cups flipped upside down and the rings inserted into the cup and glued in place pressing against the screens. That is where they are located and they seem to serve two purposes...one is to hold the screen in, and second, to act as a spacer and glue point for the sound chamber. After removing them it is easy to see that they are not needed to hold the screen in. As far as being needed as spacers...I don't think that is needed either but I guess it one were concerned they could cut the ring into pieces and replace a few of the pieces to act as a spacer but still leave most of the ring out of the cup. So far however I don't see the need for this.

Holes are punched around the driver...exactly where I am not sure...I am looking for an instructional post that I think Bilavideo had up recently that had some pics...I'll post a link when I find it.

I'll see if I can find it.  I like what you've done.  Those rings you spoke of are completely unnecessary and they actually hurt the sound.  I took them out of my most-recently-purchased 325is and was surprised - both that they were there and how much better the 325 sounded without them.  I think Grado was using spare parts to ensure the durability of the screen.  In this case, however, durability wasn't an issue and the ring actually hurt the sound.  Without the ring, the 325 is much cleaner sounding.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #1,335 of 8,987
Dude, how did you manage to get all the glue off your shells?  That is one of the most annoying aspects of getting rid of the plastic buttons.  That glue is like relatives you can never get rid of.  Well done, sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back