post your grado mods....
Jun 29, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #61 of 8,987
I am new to Grado Land (or world if you prefer) so please bare with me. I recently purchased a pair of SR-60s and have be playing with various pads ever since. I purchased a pair of bowl, and 2 pairs of HD414 pads. I love the sound of the bowls (though they lose a little bass over the stock "comfies") but the comfort is unacceptable. The closest I have been able to come to "bowl" sound without using the bowls is to "reverse" mod the 414 pads. Maybe this has been done many times over, but for those not familiar please allow me to explain.

Step 1: Purchase some HD-414 pads directly from Sennheiser (they cost 3-4 dollars a pair, so buy 2 pairs).

Step 2: Place the pads face down (with the hole facing you) on a surface that you don’t mind cutting. I used an old note pad.

Step 3: Take an xacto knife or razor blade and cut a hole in the "other" side that is the same size as the existing hole. This can also be done with scissors, or if you are lucky, a properly sized hole punch.

Step 4: Place the HD-414 pads on your Grados with the original hole facing your ears, and the newly cut hole around the driver cups.

This gives you a clear path from the drivers to your ears, while providing an extra thick layer of padding (since the “back” side of the 414 pad is thicker than the “front”). The sound is a bit more “distant”, both literally and figuratively, than the bowls, but the comfort is much improved.

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #62 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giteet
Perhaps he was referring to using the modded HD414 pads

Ahem, makes sense, yes. The pad action quite managed to escape me
plainface.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #63 of 8,987
I'm trying to mod the grille of my MS1 - I cannot seem to separate the plastic grill from its housing and it's driving me nuts. I've tried immersing it in boiling water to loosen the glue and scraping it away manually; can someone offer any tips regarding removal of the stock plastic screen?

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #64 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giteet
Perhaps he was referring to using the modded HD414 pads for the SR60 rather than the flat pads (which, at $30, are half the cost of the SR60 itself); at $5 and ~ 10 minutes to mod the modded HD414 pads (or vwaps) represent a cost-effective simulation that approaches the flat pad sound while demonstrating even comfort. The grille mod is something I'd consider if someone would give me their MS1!
wink.gif

Hehe Giteet got it right, I just quoted the wrong quote
icon10.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #65 of 8,987
I placed the cups on a table, and pushed down on the grills around the edge really hard. There will probably be chunks left over in the cups, so use a dremel to remove said chunks.

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #66 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
I'm trying to mod the grille of my MS1 - I cannot seem to separate the plastic grill from its housing and it's driving me nuts. I've tried immersing it in boiling water to loosen the glue and scraping it away manually; can someone offer any tips regarding removal of the stock plastic screen?

Here's what I wrote to saturnine yesterday, this is what worked for me:

"Don't be afraid to use some force on that thing. Especially with my older SR-125's, there was a TON of glue and I just had to break the glue bonds. Heat it up a little around the outside of the rings with a hairdryer and then push down on the grill with a spoon (you know the one you used to open the cups with) and kind of pry down on the screen catching the spoon under the lip of the cup rings."

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #67 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
about 35 bucks shipped, something like that? for a SR60 you might want to think about the 5 dollar Senn414 pads instead.

Ouch..that is kind of expensive for my SR60. I've heard good things about Todd Flat Pads also...I'm not sure if I digg the yellow Sennheiser's.

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #69 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyboarder
it won't let my put my images on
confused.gif

www.imageshack.us
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #70 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart

PM me if you want to meet up some time and use my dremel.... I just bought some new bits a week ago...

Garrett

Jun 30, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #71 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I did my first Grado mod today. Plastic grill replaced with metal.

finished6jp.jpg

Everything taken apart:

p62800019rl.jpg

This is what I would like to do also.

Could you tell me how you opened up the earcups?

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #72 of 8,987
Quote:

Originally Posted by masan
This is what I would like to do also.

Could you tell me how you opened up the earcups?

I heated em up with a hairdryer to loosen the glue, and pulled them apart. Fairly easy to do, just try not to aim the hairdryer directly at the drivers.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #73 of 8,987
oh okay...I tried hairdrying the "sr60" circle off, but I ended up damaging the plastic grill instead when I was trying to twist it off.
frown.gif

so do you just superglue it back together...I'm gonna have to pick up some fan filters to replace the plastic mesh.

Jun 30, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #75 of 8,987
I personally prefer the spoon method. You use a tapered spoon (in my case a fork
biggrin.gif
) and use it to wedge the two cups apart. Just lay the spoon flat in the gap and push up on the fat end of the spoon. Here's a couple of pictures that might help illustrate the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back