post your grado mods....
Jul 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2,371 of 8,848

bookaboo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 1, 2011
Posts
306
Likes
38
Hey there, just a thought at this stage but does anyone have experience woodying and blu tack modding a ms1 and how close does the sound get to the ms pro. Just looking at those vibrio mahogany cups and I'm thinking I might give a woody ms1 a go if It will get me a little of that magic that I miss from my departed ms pros.
 
Jul 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #2,372 of 8,848

Joe Presto

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Posts
133
Likes
10
Probably not what most people have in mind when they re-cable a Grado
biggrin.gif

 
I had a few spare parts; SR60 drivers, cups, headband but no cable, so I sourced a cable from my unused iPhone headset! Now it has a mic and remote, probably doesn't do the SQ any good, but since these are for when I'm out and about, I don't think I'll notice over all ambient noise.
 

 
Jul 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #2,373 of 8,848

calipilot227

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 3, 2010
Posts
1,876
Likes
50
Location
San Jose, CA
Quote:
Probably not what most people have in mind when they re-cable a Grado
biggrin.gif

 
I had a few spare parts; SR60 drivers, cups, headband but no cable, so I sourced a cable from my unused iPhone headset! Now it has a mic and remote, probably doesn't do the SQ any good, but since these are for when I'm out and about, I don't think I'll notice over all ambient noise.
 

I'll give you points for creativity 
smily_headphones1.gif

 
Jul 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #2,374 of 8,848

wolfetan44

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 27, 2012
Posts
4,407
Likes
83
Quote:
 
Those look like the Jaben cups.  I think a form of acid is used to remove the red / pink anodized color from the cups.
 
Here's the source for them: http://jaben.net/shopping2/Aluminium-Mod.html

I may do that mod. Where should I get the aluminum and bowl pads from though? Asking because somebody said there not avalible any more but they look like they are... And does it only work for the SR60i?
 
Jul 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #2,375 of 8,848

Chris_Himself

Member of the Trade: HPL Audio Cables
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Posts
3,169
Likes
72
Quote:
Probably not what most people have in mind when they re-cable a Grado
biggrin.gif

 
I had a few spare parts; SR60 drivers, cups, headband but no cable, so I sourced a cable from my unused iPhone headset! Now it has a mic and remote, probably doesn't do the SQ any good, but since these are for when I'm out and about, I don't think I'll notice over all ambient noise.
 

 
So now you have the official pilot look eh?
 
Man I really miss the old style cups.
 
Jul 26, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #2,377 of 8,848

Chris_Himself

Member of the Trade: HPL Audio Cables
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Posts
3,169
Likes
72
Quote:
What's the pilot look and how did I make it official? I had the choice between the 'i' cups or these, I prefer the old cups too, especially since these cans are for portable use, the smaller cup is more practical.

 
Oh they were modeled after pilot headsets from WW2, now that you have a functioning headset LOL.
 
Jul 28, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,378 of 8,848

Errymoose

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 14, 2012
Posts
392
Likes
46
So, I have a reasonably old pair of MS1s that were just handed to me by a friend cause the cables were broken.  The headband is also not in the best condition.
 
Now, I have  my own grado's, so I was thinking maybe get a nice wooden cup and headband from headphonelounge and just using the drivers, make something nice for my dad for his birthday.  What 's a good cable that people recommend for these? I looked at headphone lounge, and the cable would cost about as much as the cups and headband together.  Is there a slightly cheaper but still recommended cable around?
 
Jul 28, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #2,379 of 8,848

wolfetan44

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 27, 2012
Posts
4,407
Likes
83
Quote:
So, I have a reasonably old pair of MS1s that were just handed to me by a friend cause the cables were broken.  The headband is also not in the best condition.
 
Now, I have  my own grado's, so I was thinking maybe get a nice wooden cup and headband from headphonelounge and just using the drivers, make something nice for my dad for his birthday.  What 's a good cable that people recommend for these? I looked at headphone lounge, and the cable would cost about as much as the cups and headband together.  Is there a slightly cheaper but still recommended cable around?

Not sure about the cable. But Martin Custom Audio makes some awesome wood cups. http://www.martincustomaudio.com/p/custom-grado-style-cups.html Check it out.
 
Jul 28, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #2,380 of 8,848

Chris_Himself

Member of the Trade: HPL Audio Cables
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Posts
3,169
Likes
72
Quote:
So, I have a reasonably old pair of MS1s that were just handed to me by a friend cause the cables were broken.  The headband is also not in the best condition.
 
Now, I have  my own grado's, so I was thinking maybe get a nice wooden cup and headband from headphonelounge and just using the drivers, make something nice for my dad for his birthday.  What 's a good cable that people recommend for these? I looked at headphone lounge, and the cable would cost about as much as the cups and headband together.  Is there a slightly cheaper but still recommended cable around?

 
We sell wire as well if you need it. Are you planning on DIY? You would just need to braid and terminate it, and I can honestly help you every step of the way. I like to encourage DIY, it's a rewarding experience.
 
Aug 1, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #2,381 of 8,848

taiden

Member of the Trade: Vibro Labs
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Posts
114
Likes
22
Quote:
Probably not what most people have in mind when they re-cable a Grado
biggrin.gif

 
I had a few spare parts; SR60 drivers, cups, headband but no cable, so I sourced a cable from my unused iPhone headset! Now it has a mic and remote, probably doesn't do the SQ any good, but since these are for when I'm out and about, I don't think I'll notice over all ambient noise.
 

 

 
I had actually considered doing this at one point. If I had a more travel friendly can like an HD25-1 ii, I would do it in a heartbeat. Must be nice to actually take calls now. :)
 
Aug 1, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #2,382 of 8,848

taiden

Member of the Trade: Vibro Labs
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Posts
114
Likes
22
My Grado mods. Pretty simple for now. Going to bug Chris for cables eventually.
 
sr80i
Vibro Classic mahogany cups
l-cush pads
 
The perfect can for me. I'd like to try out some silver, though. I did the hole mods on my first set of sr60s. I felt like they lost top end too much so I have left my sr80i a virgin so to speak.
 
I do agree that the old cups look much better than the new ones. If it aint broke don't fit it!
 

 

 
Aug 1, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #2,383 of 8,848

Joe Presto

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Posts
133
Likes
10
Quote:
 
I had actually considered doing this at one point. If I had a more travel friendly can like an HD25-1 ii, I would do it in a heartbeat. Must be nice to actually take calls now. :)

 
Taking calls is great and the remote is really good to have too.. pause, skip and volume adjustments, picking up calls without removing the phone from my pocket is really nice. Also the short and thin wires are good for portable use. Can't wait for my Vibro cups to arrive, they'll be fitted with 225i drivers, I'll probably treat myself to a Mantra headband too and might consider some of Chris' cables too!
 
Aug 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #2,384 of 8,848

taiden

Member of the Trade: Vibro Labs
Joined
Apr 19, 2012
Posts
114
Likes
22
Quote:
 
Taking calls is great and the remote is really good to have too.. pause, skip and volume adjustments, picking up calls without removing the phone from my pocket is really nice. Also the short and thin wires are good for portable use. Can't wait for my Vibro cups to arrive, they'll be fitted with 225i drivers, I'll probably treat myself to a Mantra headband too and might consider some of Chris' cables too!

 
Were you one of the people who won the Facebook giveaway?
 
I wonder if someone makes iPhone compatible cables that are of high quality. I'd definitely consider doing something custom with them.
 
Aug 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #2,385 of 8,848

Twinster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Posts
2,053
Likes
74
You can use the cable from Shure earphone.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Accessory-Headphones-CBL-M-K-EFS/dp/B0043241X8/ref=pd_cp_MI_3

Just cut the connectors and you got a good quality cable. :D

Happy modding


Were you one of the people who won the Facebook giveaway?

I wonder if someone makes iPhone compatible cables that are of high quality. I'd definitely consider doing something custom with them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top