Post your desktop!
Nov 18, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #331 of 2,274
Ooooh, Endeffect has some pretty nice wallpapers. I like "Symphony" quite a bit...

Anyhow, my current desktop (link to full-size 2056 x 1024 screenshot):

Can't wait until 2/15/05.
biggrin.gif

~KS

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #332 of 2,274
I saw a coupla AOLers here. I THINK aol has a high speed version, but nonetheless, those guys wouldnt be my only concern. I'm sure there are ppl that dont need to see the whole wallpapers, especially if they're on slower connections.
Posting a screenshot is one thing, posting a wallpaper is another. Get rid of'em, and post linkies if ya want us to check'em out.
I personally prefer screenshots
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #333 of 2,274
I had to report Imyourzero's posts to a mod. I mean, it's not that he's a bad person or anything.. just that Head-fi would get in trouble if an author of one of those works were alerted. It's against Head-fi's own policy anyway. I felt bad for telling, but what can ya do? It would be worse to get the site in trouble.

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #334 of 2,274
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
Ooooh, Endeffect has some pretty nice wallpapers. I like "Symphony" quite a bit...

Anyhow, my current desktop (link to full-size 2056 x 1024 screenshot):

Can't wait until 2/15/05.
biggrin.gif

~KS

I have to ask... what shell/theme/addon are you using? I absolutely love it. Especially the text pop-up over the systray on the left that informs you what's in each window.

Nov 18, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #335 of 2,274
I see my old post here is no longer visible. I probaly deleted the photo from my website. So, here is a shot of my desktop taken tonight.
edit I just noticed that my calendar did not show up in the screen caprture. That is odd
confused.gif

2101desktop1117.jpg

Nov 18, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #336 of 2,274
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
I have to ask... what shell/theme/addon are you using? I absolutely love it. Especially the text pop-up over the systray on the left that informs you what's in each window.

The visual style is "Studio28 v3", from StudioTwentyEight (B Version Thin).

What you see on the left screen is ObjectDock Plus, which I'm basically using solely as a second taskbar. Other add-ons include Serious Samurize (which, in conjunction with Motherboard Monitor 5, displays the system information at the top of the right screen) and Konfabulator (the digital clock and GMail checker on the lower-right corner of the left screen, the calender and to-do list at the top of the right screen, and the weather information on the lower-right corner of the right screen).

~KS

Nov 18, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #337 of 2,274
plainsong:

I checked this thread tonight to see if there were any new images, and I thought "I know I posted some wallpapers here--where did they go?" Then I saw your posts.

I just wanted to say that I honestly didn't know that posting the images like that was a violation of anything. I thought it would make it easier for other members to "right-click and save as" in case they wanted to use those backgrounds. Honestly, I don't see why it can be considered "ripping" anyone off because the authors of those wallpapers have put them on the net for free distribution and aren't getting compensated for them. I could see a problem if I was trying to claim that they were my creations, but that certainly wasn't the case. I don't understand the difference between someone getting the image here and getting it from www.customize.org, but perhaps I just don't fully comprehend the technicalitites of it. In any case, it's good info to have for future reference.

I just wanted to apologize for ruffling your feathers and also for you to know that I wasn't ignoring you by leaving the images up; I just didn't check Head-Fi soon enough after you made your post in order for me to remove them. I'm sorry the mods had to be involved, but I want to thank them for removing the images in my absence (I didn't know any of this was going on until tonight) and for them to know I meant no ill intent at all. I'm pretty sure they knew it wasn't intentional since I didn't get any PM's about it. I like this site a lot and obviously wouldn't want to see anyone get in trouble...

edit: My point is, you don't have to feel bad for "telling." You did the right thing in the interest of the site.
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #338 of 2,274
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
plainsong:

I checked this thread tonight to see if there were any new images, and I thought "I know I posted some wallpapers here--where did they go?" Then I saw your posts.

I just wanted to say that I honestly didn't know that posting the images like that was a violation of anything. I thought it would make it easier for other members to "right-click and save as" in case they wanted to use those backgrounds. Honestly, I don't see why it can be considered "ripping" anyone off because the authors of those wallpapers have put them on the net for free distribution and aren't getting compensated for them. I could see a problem if I was trying to claim that they were my creations, but that certainly wasn't the case. I don't understand the difference between someone getting the image here and getting it from www.customize.org, but perhaps I just don't fully comprehend the technicalitites of it. In any case, it's good info to have for future reference.

I just wanted to apologize for ruffling your feathers and also for you to know that I wasn't ignoring you by leaving the images up; I just didn't check Head-Fi soon enough after you made your post in order for me to remove them. I'm sorry the mods had to be involved, but I want to thank them for removing the images in my absence (I didn't know any of this was going on until tonight) and for them to know I meant no ill intent at all. I'm pretty sure they knew it wasn't intentional since I didn't get any PM's about it. I like this site a lot and obviously wouldn't want to see anyone get in trouble...

edit: My point is, you don't have to feel bad for "telling." You did the right thing in the interest of the site.
wink.gif

I'm assuming that your images were being hosted on customize.org. Part of the problem is that everytime this thread is viewed, those images are pulled from customize.org, thereby "stealing" a little bit of their bandwidth. This is why many people who don't otherwise care if you use their images, or for what reason, ask that you make a copy and host it on a separate server.

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:32 AM Post #339 of 2,274
Oh and I have to say that the digital clock (Konfabulator), GokieKS has in their screenshot is the prettiest desktop clock I've ever seen. Man I wish Linux had something as equally nice (gdesklets is not bad, but not nearly as good).

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:37 AM Post #340 of 2,274
Quote:

Originally Posted by k.ODOMA
I'm assuming that your images were being hosted on customize.org. Part of the problem is that everytime this thread is viewed, those images are pulled from customize.org, thereby "stealing" a little bit of their bandwidth. This is why many people who don't otherwise care if you use their images, or for what reason, ask that you make a copy and host it on a separate server.

No, I didn't link the pics directly from customize.org...

I had the images on my computer in my Wallpapers directory, and I uploaded them to my personal web space and hosted them from there. Apparently that's still some sort of violation, but I'm still sort of confused about it.

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #341 of 2,274
Quote:

I had the images on my computer in my Wallpapers directory, and I uploaded them to my personal web space and hosted them from there. Apparently that's still some sort of violation, but I'm still sort of confused about it.

My appologies then.

Nov 18, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #342 of 2,274
Quote:

It's a copyright thing. See, those images were created by actual people... who have the right to share them at whatever sites they see fit. That's the problem: Where _they_ see fit. The problem is that at a place such as this, there's no credit given to them at all, and anyone can steal them and say they made the images. What's worse is a lot of these guys make money at it through donations or selling the prints. Most of them have copyrights at their websites, and the sites they upload to also have copyrights.

So when you upload an image without their permission, it's called "ripping." And posting copyright material is against head-fi policy anyway. It has to be, because otherwise, all someone has to do is go to one of those community websites and complain. Then head-fi in turn gets the abuse.

If you post a screenshot, it can't be used very effectively as a wallpaper, so screenshots are fine. If you want people to see them, post them as screenshots and then give them links to the proper approved websites to download from.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you want to read my about what ripping is, and why authors don't appreciate it, I think there's some material at wincustomize.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back