Post your camera gear here!
Feb 11, 2007 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

mb3k

1000+ Head-Fier
We have a post your photography thread, but we don't seem to have a thread on pics of our camera gear, so here's one to all of you that spend thousands on lenses and accessories. Post (a) photo(s) of your gear and give a brief explanation of what it is.
3000smile.gif

Traditionally, I'll start it off with mine:

main.php

Here's my D80 with:
- Nikkor 18-70mm DX lens
- MB-D80 battery grip
- SB-600 speedlight
- ML-L3 wireless remote
I'm lusting over the new 18-200mm VR lens, but I'll have to save up some money before I bite the bullet
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you prefer the 18-70 over the 18-135?

Yes. I find that the 18-135 has more distortion at 18mm than the 18-70 and some nasty falloff shadowing.
If I want to zoom, I would opt for a better lens such as the 18-200mm vibration reduction lens (sold out/backordered in many stores!)

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 56
The 18-70mm is a good lens but oddly enough, I preferred the even lower model 18-55. I too was interested in the 18-200vr but a thread a while back, basically tore it to bits. It seemed like it wasn't as good of a lens as Rockwell made it out to be so I decided against it. Plus I've sold most of my decent camera gear so it probably wouldn't be worth it for me anyway.
frown.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 56
Hmm...

For some reason, I'm a heck of a lot more embarassed about the photography gear I have than the audio stuff.

I suppose it's because I own a few nice pieces of hardware, but I still take crappy pictures. Meanwhile I know people who have pretty low-level hardware but take great photos.

Meanwhile, the audio-gear - if it's high end stuff, it's not that hard to take advantage of that... you just listen to it.

I dunno, for some reason, photography is more about the output than it is what your gear is...

Having said that, I do have an EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS which does take very sharp photos in low light settings with great IS. It really is a shame my composition skills are too poor to take advantage of it.

Best regards,

-Jason

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 56
Heh, amidst all the camera talk lately, I was going to start a "Camera p*rn" thread later tonight. Guess you beat me to it.

I'll post a shot of my setup later tonight
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 56
I remember that nice Leica you had!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...

For some reason, I'm a heck of a lot more embarassed about the photography gear I have than the audio stuff.

I suppose it's because I own a few nice pieces of hardware, but I still take crappy pictures. Meanwhile I know people who have pretty low-level hardware but take great photos.

Meanwhile, the audio-gear - if it's high end stuff, it's not that hard to take advantage of that... you just listen to it.

I dunno, for some reason, photography is more about the output than it is what your gear is...

Having said that, I do have an EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS which does take very sharp photos in low light settings with great IS. It really is a shame my composition skills are too poor to take advantage of it.

Best regards,

-Jason

Feb 11, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm lusting over the new 18-200mm VR lens, but I'll have to save up some money before I bite the bullet
tongue.gif

You can order it today. You will have ample time to save the money for it several times over by the time it actually ships...

Feb 11, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 56
Nothing special; Canon EOS Rebel K2, 28-90mm f/4-5.6 crap kit lens. It does the job.

Feb 11, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 56
Ok I took some pics of my stuff. They aren't very good, but I can only afford one good camera at a time
tongue.gif

Pictured: Canon Rebel XT w/ grip and Oly viewfinder, Sigma 150mm macro, Sigma Ringflash, Canon 430EX, Lumiquest bouncy thing, Manfrotto flash bracket, Giottos tripod and ballheads, Canon 50/1.8, Sigma 10-20mm.
Not shown: Countless memory cards, batteries, more batteries, cleaning accessories, whatever.

All the stuff:
rig1.jpg

Closeup of my macro rig:
rig4.jpg

The back of it:
rig5.jpg

My other two lenses. I suck at taking in-focus pictures
frown.gif
/walks away embarassed.
rig3.jpg

As you can see I put all my eggs into my macro rig because that's my thing, and for the rest of my stuff I just go with the bare minimum. Although it's mounted on the tripod, that's just for the photo - I never use the tripod for macro shots, I always handhold. Using a tripod to chase bugs = no pictures.

Here are some of my better shots:

Macro:
centeredcomposition2.jpg

shallowdof3.jpg

Wide angle:
landscapeinportrait1.jpg

50mm:
violincontra1bw.jpg

Happy shooting!
cool.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #13 of 56
I posted these just before when i was trying to find out what kinda stuff i had :p
But here it is, the first pictures i took with it are geting developed as i type this out
biggrin.gif

Nikon EM with the 50mm f/1.8 AI-S

CIMG4908.jpg

CIMG4911.jpg

CIMG4915.jpg

CIMG4913.jpg

Feb 11, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #15 of 56
You might wanna get a new lens to go with that SB600 too.
biggrin.gif

Is your camera bag big enough to fit the flash? Perhaps you need another camera bag too, for different occassion? Maybe a Crumpler bag for something more covert?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back