post pics of your headphone set up and listening area
Mar 18, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #5,821 of 6,467
My question was supposed to call to light the precariousness of the position of your turntable, but everyone missed it. And yes, it's an awesome album too.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #5,822 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my dad and I have finished building my equipment rack and heres what she looks like. I plan to eventually replace the HD-DVD player with the Emotiva ERC-1. Right now the only thing it feeds a signal to is my MP-301, (which still isn't here yet ARGHHHH!). My Amphora is fed a signal by my iPods LOD. Combine this with a chair, cup of tea, and I'm set for life. And now the pics.

Congrats on keeping your gear! However, I'd get back into the RS1i if you can...they have great synergy with the Amphora. I was listening through a MHDT Havana DAC, an Amphora SE, and my RS1i 'phones last night and felt that the Amphora/RS1i combo is a real treat.

Whichever path you choose - enjoy your music, work extra hard in school, and give those great parents a giant Georgia bear hug
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #5,823 of 6,467
Quote:

Well my dad and I have finished building my equipment rack and heres what she looks like. I plan to eventually replace the HD-DVD player with the Emotiva ERC-1. Right now the only thing it feeds a signal to is my MP-301, (which still isn't here yet ARGHHHH!). My Amphora is fed a signal by my iPods LOD. Combine this with a chair, cup of tea, and I'm set for life. And now the pics.

[...]

Now if that MP-301 would just get here. I have tubes ready to roll and I just cant wait. By the way, for those of you who helped me decide to sell my gear to pay for school, heres the update. I told my parents what I was doing and they had the exact opposite reaction I expected. They offered to pay for my schooling and begged me to stop selling my gear because they knew how much I loved my music. So after selling my RS1i and 325is, leaving me really only my Amphora, It's time to get back to work rebuilding my system. So up on the list, W1000 and ERC-1.
icon10.gif
atsmile.gif

That equipment rack is absolutely beautiful!

I love the contrast between the bolts and nuts' industrial look and the simple, pale wood shelves.
And that cupholder is a priceless addition.

Really nice work...

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #5,824 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question was supposed to call to light the precariousness of the position of your turntable, but everyone missed it. And yes, it's an awesome album too.

I guess the turntable from that angle does look like it a little close to the edge. I'm still gonna check out the album anyhow.

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #5,825 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice setup scott!

Quote:

Originally Posted by teishu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is an awesome setup :p

Quote:

Seems like a great place to kick of the shoes, lay back on the bed, and let the music roll.

Thank you for kind words, friends.
beerchug.gif
Sometimes it's a little to relaxing.

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #5,826 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the turntable from that angle does look like it a little close to the edge. I'm still gonna check out the album anyhow.

If I might be so keen as to throw a second album to check into the mix. Consider another Yes album (Fragile [Which I personally prefer to Close To The Edge]) or, at a tangent as far as genre is concerned, Ludovico Einaudi - Nightbook.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #5,827 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I might be so keen as to throw a second album to check into the mix. Consider another Yes album (Fragile [Which I personally prefer to Close To The Edge]) or, at a tangent as far as genre is concerned, Ludovico Einaudi - Nightbook.

Close to the Edge, Relayer, Fragile, and Going for the One are the members of the Yes starter kit that I lend to my friends. I've got 5 of them hooked, so it must be pretty good.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #5,828 of 6,467
more college-fi here...

l1020248.jpg

it's a single room, on campus. the 30" is incredible. 2560x1600 res is such a revelation

and of course the dog on the wall, budster j. dogman as we like to call him

l1020249.jpg

the main points of interest for audiophiles: Dynaudio BM5a and beyer DT880. Senn HD650 on the way!

dac (not visible) is the lowly beresford

l1020250.jpg

the amp. it did not receive much lurve on head-fi but i rather enjoy it, and it was a present! can't argue with that. it makes a cute picture when you put the amp/psu next to each other, or if you stack the amp on the psu.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #5,831 of 6,467
TheAnomaly,

How are you liking the BM5A? What type of music do you listen to primarily? I'm debating between them and the BM6AmkII which dig down another 10Hz.

Bill

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #5,832 of 6,467
Nice speakers, indeed, TheAnomaly - I use the same ones in my office, driven off the Audio-GD Phoenix:

DSC02109.jpg

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #5,833 of 6,467
Skylab,

Same question for you then! What types of music do you listen to and how do you find the BM5A?

Bill

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #5,834 of 6,467
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgb113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TheAnomaly,

How are you liking the BM5A? What type of music do you listen to primarily? I'm debating between them and the BM6AmkII which dig down another 10Hz.

Bill

i've had them for about a year and a half now (got them last summer) and they have always sounded great! before i got the Dyns i had the Audioengine A5, and it sounded alright, but the Dyn trumps it in every regard. returning the A5 was the easiest decision i made that summer
redface.gif

i listen to every kind of music, though i need more acoustic/jazz/classical. the Dyn has a lot of power behind it, so you can crank it up to "rock out" levels very easily. i find the sound overall very balanced, though the 6.9" woofer cannot be expected to deliver full bass response. the tweeter is probably the star of the show though -- gorgeous, never harsh. i was very lucky to be able to get these when i did. admittedly i mostly listen to the beyers because, being headphones, they are not location dependent, and their slightly more forward treble makes them more appealing to me. i really need to get some room treatment though -- possibly some mopads, some sound traps, that sort of thing. in all honesty i find the beyers to sound better most of the time, and they cost 1/5 the Dyns!

the beyers are also invaluable for FPS gaming...i can hear people coming from very far off with those cans!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice speakers, indeed, TheAnomaly - I use the same ones in my office, driven off the Audio-GD Phoenix:

DSC02109.jpg

nice stack skylab!
smily_headphones1.gif
is that a "home office" rig or an "office office" rig? do you find that going with active monitors like the dyns was the right decision?

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #5,835 of 6,467
The bass response of the BM5A is my concern. While the BM6AmkII only goes down another 10Hz it covers the lowest note on a bass guitar meaning that the majority of my music collection (rock) would be fully covered. For the small percentage of recordings that go deeper I can always just throw them onto the big home theater rig that goes down to 16Hz.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back